Register to Comment
Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1234 12 52 102 ... LastLast
Like Tree320Likes
    Twitter
    @

Sorry, but hang on here. If Gilmore's support for gay marriage was explicit he'd have had the Gov get itself together, get a bill and get it put before the people with the support of SF, FF and pretty much everyone else.

FG are making slow moves towards getting down with the gays, they've recently setup an gay group within the party and Ministers are (slowly) saying they're in favour.

But it doesn't matter what Enda Kenny thinks in this matter, it'd be great (or not, if you're David Quinn) for Kenny to come out in support of gay marriage, but this is being banged off to the constitutional convention. Fine Gael are hardly going to come out against the idea, they're still the most socially conservative of any of the political parties, this convention appears to me to be the best means of getting the referendum out there, without forcing people who should be allowed to hold personal/political views to actually be forced to appear to be against something.

So, Gilmore's in favour, that's fine, it's awesome, but what's he going to do? Let someone else do it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    This issue is nothing but a liberal distraction from our dreadful economic problems the failures of the government. Obama did something similar. Who gives a sh1t whether it's called civil partnership or civil marriage? Only middle class Labour Youth and Green Party knobs care.
    Obviously there's no such thing as a working-class homosexual.

The fact is there will always be some issue that affects more people then same-sex marriage does, that's no excuse to put off dealing with it indefinitely.

According to the Mail he won't, which is disappointing and the wrong decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Anyone who cares about equality and discrimination and bigotry should care and give a sh*t.
    Should human rights issues be parked until the economic problems are sorted or if ever?
    In working class communities there are gay people.
    I presume you think homosexuality is just bourgeois decadence?
    There are gay people in Afghanistan and Gaza too and you support American and Israeli planes bombing them.

However the fact is the current gay rights movement in Ireland is all about trying to achieve bourgeois respectability. In many ways homosexuality is a bourgeois decadance for rich liberals. It's trendy in youthful bourgeois circles to experiment with homosexuality and have a token gay friend.

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    According to the Mail he won't, which is disappointing and the wrong decision.
    The story is based on an old interview as far as I know.

Same-sex marriage is not a burning issue but it will be considered in the context of a wide review of the Constitution.

While I doubt that Kenny is privately supportive of it, it is quite possible that the people will be asked whether they want to endorse extending marriage to same sex couples as part of a referendum.

My conclusion is that Kenny is likely to facilitate the public deciding on the matter rather than supoorting or advocating a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Obviously there's no such thing as a working-class homosexual.

The fact is there will always be some issue that affects more people then same-sex marriage does, that's no excuse to put off dealing with it indefinitely.
    The main issues for working class homosexuals are unemployment, poor quality housing, sh1te transport, low wages and bad public services. Changing the name from civil partnership to civil marriage won't change any of that or leave them happier than before. This is a middle class liberal distraction that Gilmore has pulled out of his arse to appease the bourgeois homosexuals in his own party.

This issue is nothing but a liberal distraction from our dreadful economic problems the failures of the government. Obama did something similar. Who gives a sh1t whether it's called civil partnership or civil marriage? Only middle class Labour Youth and Green Party knobs care.
    Good one.

Enda Kenny should grow a pair and say that he doesn't care.

The main issues for working class homosexuals are unemployment, poor quality housing, sh1te transport, low wages and bad public services. Changing the name from civil partnership to civil marriage won't change any of that or leave them happier than before. This is a middle class liberal distraction that Gilmore has pulled out of his arse to appease the bourgeois homosexuals in his own party.
    This is about same-sex couples being able to raise a family with the same legal protections as their heterosexual counterparts, that is important to gay couples across the entire socio-economic spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Anyone who cares about equality and discrimination and bigotry should care and give a sh*t.
    Should human rights issues be parked until the economic problems are sorted or if ever? I suppose working class gays don't exist? I presume you think homosexuality is just bourgeois decadence?
    Even if I believed in "Human Rights", which I don't, I wouldn't say that "gay" "marriage" is a "Human Right". It would be a civil right, at most.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment