Register to Comment
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    It remains entirely unclear to me why anyone thinks that support or opposition to a referendum has any real correlation with GE voting intentions. If it did, Labour would be leading the government after the SSM vote.
    Its a key issue for some. I canvassed for FG in Dun Laoghaire in 2011 when the main issues were the economy and which party would lead the govt. I was amazed at the number of people who raised FG's proposal to do away with compulsory Irish for the Leaving Cert as their key objection. I'm sure most of them wouldn't vote FG in a fit but it was interesting to hear that was their key issue, I'm sure abortion will be similar.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by TruthInTheNews View Post
    The latest B&A poll has FF at 31%, an increase of 4%. This is a significant gain during a period in which there were no major policy announcements from the FF camp apart from decision to campaign for the retention of the Eight Amendment. FF are now the only party in Ireland in favour of retaining the Eight Amendment.

Will opposition to appeal be a vote getter for FF?
    Just how strong is the anti-abortion vote?
    Is every FF TD in favour of retaining the Eight?
    Will those FF TDs in pro-abortion constituencies openly campaign against repeal of the Eighth?
    Will FF assume the mantle of the party that represents socially conservative Ireland?
    They wrecked the economy and still manage those poll numbers.

Their stance on abortion isn't going to make much difference one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthInTheNews View Post
    The latest B&A poll has FF at 31%, an increase of 4%. This is a significant gain during a period in which there were no major policy announcements from the FF camp apart from decision to campaign for the retention of the Eight Amendment. FF are now the only party in Ireland in favour of retaining the Eight Amendment.

Will opposition to appeal be a vote getter for FF?
    Just how strong is the anti-abortion vote?
    Is every FF TD in favour of retaining the Eight?
    Will those FF TDs in pro-abortion constituencies openly campaign against repeal of the Eighth?
    Will FF assume the mantle of the party that represents socially conservative Ireland?
    unless michael martin has been secretly ousted , absolutely not ! , under martin they are decidedly socially liberal

Quote Originally Posted by slysnara View Post
    She's a perfect representative for pro-life in the abortion referendum, and that's what matters at the moment.
    Dishonest and discredited... absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    I think its fair to say FF rank and file are mostly anti abortion.

But Micheal Martin is a mealy mouthed weasel IMO. I actually think he will try to neuter any opposition to abortion within the party
    martin is always aware of what the liberal media thinks so i strongly agree

Quote Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
    martin is always aware of what the liberal media thinks so i strongly agree
    Ah but Willie O'Dea will put paid to that, he has a column in the S Indo to show the real FF face to the public.

No disrespect to the very many good FF deputies and members over the years but if you were pro-life would you trust FF here? Only about a week after the Ard Fheis had voted massively pro-life the Dail Abortion Committee took a vote to scrap the 8th amendment and no FF deputy opposed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    The Faith and Fatherland conservative electorate belong with FF.
    There is a very conservative Catholic far right vote in FG too, perhaps it will help tear FFG asunder and cause an early election...Hmm! Happy days indeed if it does!

Quote Originally Posted by venusian View Post
    There is a very conservative Catholic far right vote in FG too, perhaps it will help tear FFG asunder and cause an early election...Hmm! Happy days indeed if it does!
    If there was such a large group of conservatives in FG Simon ould be leader of the pack now not Leo. Only a handful FG TD's voted against the Protection of Life in Pregnancy bill, almost all of FF voted against it. That's shows FF is the pro-life party in Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    That's probably true. They have also suffered from an abortion backlash since the POLDP bill. FF opposed this bill and many predicted they would suffer politically for it. The opposite has happened. They have recovered strongly.

Barry Walsh of YFG was heckled at the FG think-in in Cavan at the weekend when he asked 'Where is the demand for this referendum coming from'. People tried to shout him down by screaming 'people are dying'.. 'women are dying'.

Walsh's question was a good one. The demand is not coming from the public or the FG grassroots, so one has to conclude that FG are being led by the media.

Barry Walsh is still in Young FG? He must be about 40 now

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment