Register to Comment
Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree1279Likes

Heard on Drivetime, a homeless organisation said that their was 99 people sleeping rough in Dublin this morning, the authorities has said that their is 200 places for homeless people so how is their people sleeping rough.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Round tower
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Heard on Drivetime, a homeless organisation said that their was 99 people sleeping rough in Dublin this morning, the authorities has said that their is 200 places for homeless people so how is their people sleeping rough.

If you were a heroin addict or chronic wet brain alco, would you be amenable to being housed, or even kept in a hostel?

That is the sort of people who are sleeping rough. God love them, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But that's the reality.

Were you ever in Copenhagen? One of the most intensive cradle-to-grave states in the world. Main railway station is full of alcoholics and junkies who sleep rough.

It's very simple. We live in a democracy. If somebody chooses to sleep on the street rather than take up a bed then that is their absolute right. That may be because they don't like the the type of people who also use these services, or because they don't like the rules, or even that they feel "safer" on the street. You can lead a horse to water... I notice on FB the group are canvassing for duvets, pillows etc. God bless their innocence. When the place is trashed, the bedclothes are destroyed or stolen I sincerely hope that will still have the certainty that they can "make a difference". I may sound cynical, but unfortunately this is borne out from experience. Still, let them do good while they can.
    Last edited by Reasunach; 16th December 2016 at 09:04 PM.

He was saying that there was 99 despite the provision of extra temporary shelter. The people on the ground that are working with the homeless during the night (ie, not the "authorities" that sit in offices) would beg to differ over the numbers. There are still people out on the street who want to avail of shelter but can't. Remember, all of this is just temporary either over the xmas or winter.

Originally Posted by Reasunach
    It's very simple. We live in a democracy. If somebody chooses to sleep on the street rather than take up a bed then that is their absolute right. That may be because they don't like the the type of people who also use these services, or because they don't like the rules, or even that they feel "safer" on the street. You can lead a horse to water...
    Yes i agree so this crowd that has taken illegal possession of this building, what are they going to do with getting these homeless people into this building. kidnap them?. That is the point i was making, their is according to officials their is more authorised places than their is homeless people.

Originally Posted by PBP voter
    Complete stupidity.

The building isn't up to standard for residential use. It's hasn't the required fire safety in place.

Anybody encouraging people to stay in the building overnight needs to think about the safety and insurance aspect.
    What sort of safety certs and insurance are awarded for living on the streets then ?

Originally Posted by Lara2
    He was saying that there was 99 despite the provision of extra temporary shelter. The people on the ground that are working with the homeless during the night (ie, not the "authorities" that sit in offices) would beg to differ over the numbers. There are still people out on the street who want to avail of shelter but can't. Remember, all of this is just temporary either over the xmas or winter.
    The number of people sleeping rough came from one of the groups working the homeless not the aurthorities, which one i don't remember. This house will be temporary as well because the people who own the building will go to court and get a injunction and the homeless will have to leave.

Originally Posted by derryman
    What sort of safety certs and insurance are awarded for living on the streets then ?
    You're talking to "Profit Before People" there...

Yes i agree so this crowd that has taken illegal possession of this building, what are they going to do with getting these homeless people into this building. kidnap them?. That is the point i was making, their is according to officials their is more authorised places than their is homeless people.
    Regardless of official figures v figures "on the ground", the situation is far more complex than just providing a bed in a building with a roof. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do know that the simple, band-aid style ones are very often more inclined to "enable" rather than assist. Regardless of a genuine effort to help.

Lots of people that do nothing for the homeless community complaining about others doing something.

Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment