Register to Comment
Page 101 of 215 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2142
Like Tree1279Likes

So the lawyers and barristers are providing their services pro-bono. Can a non entity take a multi action suit....and do you not have to be able to demonstrate that you have been adversely affected to add your name to the action. Inote resting that the don't see their campaign to end homelessness and poverty to be motivated by charitable concerns and the betterment of local communities.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by mossyman
    To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I would lend you ten grand if I could be reasonably sure that when you can't pay me back the State will bail me out because I'm too big to fail.
    That specious argument won't work any more. The bank would either take you to court or encourage you to go bankrupt.

Originally Posted by damus
    So the lawyers and barristers are providing their services pro-bono. Can a non entity take a multi action suit....and do you not have to be able to demonstrate that you have been adversely affected to add your name to the action. Inote resting that the don't see their campaign to end homelessness and poverty to be motivated by charitable concerns and the betterment of local communities.
    It never was. All about activism and getting credit for whatever they can claim.

Originally Posted by sic transit
    It never was. All about activism and getting credit for whatever they can claim.
    I would imagine that there were some involved who genuinely wanted to "help". I'm sure too, that some, like those who contributed to Band aid and Live aid were railroaded into showing their support.

- What can I do? I'm an artist not a builder or a therapist, I'd be no use to homeless people.
    - You can help get us headlines. You know what suckers people are for celebrity endorsements.
    - But I've a tour coming up.
    - So you'll get media space, people will think you're lovely
    - Oh, Ok then. But it's just for Christmas right?
    Last edited by Reasunach; 29th December 2016 at 12:08 PM.

That specious argument won't work any more. The bank would either take you to court or encourage you to go bankrupt.
    Even if I am a bank that is too big to fail?

Originally Posted by mossyman
    Even if I am a bank that is too big to fail?
    That's so 2009! Between the more onerous reserve requirements , new bondholder rules and actual regulation it should not emerge again, at least not in the near future.

That's so 2009! Between the more onerous reserve requirements , new bondholder rules and actual regulation it should not emerge again, at least not in the near future.
    Hopefully not.

Originally Posted by damus
    Those not exactly true. I was brought up next to council housing estates and a lot of the tenants became the owner occupiers. Besides education, there's some who need practical support people to help themselves. The welfare trap is something that is real, and the black economy doesn't exist in isolation. How many people are prepared to pay cash in hand to save a bob or two?
    But they did get the houses at knockdown prices

Originally Posted by Reasunach

And so the activists show their true colours. Asked if, after raising more than 150,000 through their gofundme account, they would be registering as a charity a spokesman said "No". There can be no clearer indication that there will be no follow through, and that this was a publicity stunt (albeit with some benefits arising) when those involved see this as a once off. If they were serious about helping the homeless, they would establish a charity to carry on the work, or affiliate themselves with an already established one. Sadly this does not seem to be the case.
    Sometimes you have to go with your instincts on this. No doubt many decent-minded people are involved in the Occupy Apollo protest. But with the rise of aggressive populism over Irish Water, the 1916 commemorations and suchlike, it's pretty clear to me that certain political operators are using some issues as cover for undermining moderate democratic politicals and orderly, if flawed, approaches to solving problems.

Voluntary activism is all very well, and part of political evolution. But a very nasty element has emerged, and matters at Apollo House should be closely monitored lest matters take an uglier turn after 11 January.

Originally Posted by james toney
    'The human rights of thousands of people are being abused by banks and mortgage providers, according to a new alliance of barristers and solicitors.'

Supported by the US-based Open Society Justice Initiative, the alliance including academics at NUI Galway and the Irish Centre for European Law (ICEL) is urging legal practitioners to apply EU and Spanish case law, to fight home repossessions.

So, not only are certain lawyers leveraging the 'rights' agenda to the hilt, they're now diversifying into undermining the very concept of 'responsibility'. Expecting banks, and ultimately taxpayers to pick up the tab.

If people overborrowed to buy property and can't meet their payments, they should sell and rent. If we had a bit more of this, perhaps we'd have a more realistic property market, instead of another factor pushing house prices beyond those who can currently realistically afford to pay a mortgage for their families, but who are instead stuck paying high rents in a distorted market.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment