Register to Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Scientology: Enough is enough

SCIENTOLOGY: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Ex-members of the Cult of Scientology speak out against its fraud and abuse at a Dublin conference.

Friday February 6th 2015 from 6:30 p.m. and Saturday February 7th 2015 from 12 noon at Filmbase, Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin.

Speakers from Ireland and abroad will share their experiences. The information and testimony shared at the conference will be freely available on this website.

Some of the special guests at the conference will include:

John Sweeney (author of Church of Fear)
    Russell Miller (author of Bare-faced Messiah)
    Nancy Many (author of My Billion Year Contract)
    Markus Thöß (film maker)
    Stephen Jones (ex-Sea Org)
    Dee Findlay (ex-Guardian’s Office volunteer)
    Victoria Britton

Bonus: a Skype Q&A with Jon Atack (author of A Piece of Blue Sky)

Attendance is free.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone: (+353) 086 3703811

Sign in or Register Now to reply

John Sweeney knows he may always be remembered for a single moment. While filming an investigation of the Church of Scientology for the BBC current-affairs programme Panorama, in 2007, the journalist felt he was being obstructed, harassed and spied on.

This provoked a feeling he describes as “unendurable pressure” until, during a terse exchange with a Scientology spokesman, Sweeney cracked and lost his temper. The footage from the documentary, Scientology and Me, went viral around the world.

“For a time I felt hunted,” he says, explaining how the sense of intrusion lingered after the show’s production. “People turned up at our wedding. They called to my mother-in-law’s home, in Devon, asking questions. People came to our house, making fake deliveries to our neighbours. It was uncomfortable, dark and scary. No question. You don’t fall out with the Church of Scientology and do it lightly.”

Although Sweeney routinely expresses regret whenever the outburst is mentioned – “People in the public eye should be civil to those they disagree with. It’s part of the engine oil of democracy” – he says a curious thing has happened in the years since. Former Scientologists have come to cite that incident as emblematic of Scientology in the 21st century. ...

Undeterred, Sweeney later began work on a book called The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology, drawing from his experiences making the originalPanorama programme and its 2010 follow-up, The Secrets of Scientology. It’s the reason he’ll be speaking at Scientology: Enough Is Enough, a two-day conference in Dublin next weekend. ...

they should hold it on middle abbey street and have great big banners up for it

Originally Posted by Ramon Mercadar
    SCIENTOLOGY: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Ex-members of the Cult of Scientology speak out against its fraud and abuse at a Dublin conference.

Friday February 6th 2015 from 6:30 p.m. and Saturday February 7th 2015 from 12 noon at Filmbase, Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin.

Speakers from Ireland and abroad will share their experiences. The information and testimony shared at the conference will be freely available on this website.

Some of the special guests at the conference will include:

John Sweeney (author of Church of Fear)
    Russell Miller (author of Bare-faced Messiah)
    Nancy Many (author of My Billion Year Contract)
    Markus Thöß (film maker)
    Stephen Jones (ex-Sea Org)
    Dee Findlay (ex-Guardian’s Office volunteer)
    Victoria Britton

Bonus: a Skype Q&A with Jon Atack (author of A Piece of Blue Sky)

Attendance is free.

Email:

Phone: (+353) 086 3703811

Will the SWP be organising a counter demonstration against this obvious hate conference, standing in support of the noble and peace loving Scientologists?

Scum. Plain and simple. Weird, dangerous cult that needs to be removed from Irish society. Now you could say that of any religion if you chose, but Scientology is not a religion and they are deeply disturbed and dangerous, especially to anyone who shows any interest in them.

I'd be in favour of locking them in mental institutions - old, Victorian style ones with unnecessary electric shocks, ice bath 'treatments' and phrenological assessments.

Indefinitely.

F*ck them and f*ck Tom 'F*cking looney tunes nutcase' Cruise.

Originally Posted by Ren84
    Will the SWP be organising a counter demonstration against this obvious hate group?
    I'd agree its an obvious 'hate group' but then people who protest against neo Nazi's could be called that as well and would wear it as a badge of pride......

Churches are man made, faith is god given.

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works

James 2:14-26

Amazing that such an event is even needed. Does anyone know how may adherents Scientology has in Ireland today?

Originally Posted by NeilW
    Amazing that such an event is even needed. Does anyone know how may adherents Scientology has in Ireland today?
    Six hundred and sixty six.

Originally Posted by Rev Bertrude Taton Beaver
    Churches are man made faith is god given.

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works

James 2:14-26
    Yeah except scientology is made up/invented by a useless crappy sci fi writer and their faith is based on some story about aliens who buggered some other aliens with lava dipped broken ends of bamboo sticks (ouch!) and then flew on commercial airliners across space at light speed (impossible) just to felch out the results into Tom Cruises brain as it was being chargrilled in a volcano 100,000 trillion, million, billion years ago (impossible).

Ergo, it has about as much credibility as the Power Rangers.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment