Register to Comment
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    Britain won't be in Europe but it will always be in Europe.
    Aye, we know. Same sentiment as Brexit means Brexit.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

'Political Europe'? Were the Swiss invited?
    Any European democracy can join the EU. The great majority has.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    Tax harmonisation would sort that, though would cause apoplexy among the loons.
    i dont know what that means mate but if its something to stop us gettin ripped off itll never happen....

Quote Originally Posted by gleeful View Post
    Not even the US has uniform alcohol taxes.
    if you buy beer in texas can you bring it california with no tax????

Quote Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post
    You'll never feel European until you're sitting in some redneck town in the US defending social healthcare and talking about "well in Europe we ..."

The reality is we have an awful lot in common with the rest of Europe. We just tend to accentuate the superficial differences in language but when push comes to shove we're very similar and have expectations of things like free market social democracies and so on.
    There's a huge divergence in agricultural practices too, especially when it comes to animal welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    Any European democracy can join the EU. The great majority has.
    But, politically speaking, the Swiss are Swiss, while the Irish are European?

The EU has deliberately appropriated the political brand of 'Europe'.
    Europe Day

The Blue Star programme is a venture of the Communicating Europe Initiative

You lost me forever with the racist term highlighted above. It's clear you've no respect for either democracy or European culture. You're just another whack-a-mole Europhobe cretin.
    You lost the argument when you started to babble on that the electorate understood what was in the text of the last Treaty and that they supported it without question with their heavy endorsement. You are mixing up the idea of people who support the concept of the EU (which is undisputed) and what kind of EU they want (what was contained in Lisbon - much of it , by the way was needed , vital for a 28 State Union).

The "Heil" comment was tongue in cheek, though I fully stand by my comment that the West of Europe IS Europe, no offence to the Eastern Block, many are lovely people.

You are a spoofer, trying to save face by dodging a set of questions that may undermine your argument, and looking for any opportunity to do so. So, rebut the tag by pointing out what you know about what was contained in the Lisbon Treaty

5 Key Changes and at least 5 areas of policy that changed from Unanimity to QMV - I actually listed a few already

It's clear you've no respect for either democracy or European culture

I have no respect for idiots . I have no respect for clowns who talk about things that are way out of their league. I have zero respect for dishonest people and weasels who try to dodge points in order to avoid their argument from being undermined. Hi McDave

Without Germany , France and UK, Europe is nothing! Oh, I highly respect their democracy and culture alright.Our country would be in the poor house without the EEC/EU. Many of the former USSR nations would have been nothing during the 1990's without the hope and prospect of knowing that one day they would be join the EU.

As for democracy? Well, Democracy elected Hitler so...............

Shouldn't Democracy have been allowed to stand when the People of Ireland voted No in two Referendums?

Isn't Democracy flawed when the people don't know what they are voting for?

Can I assume that you have never uttered a critical word about the democratic wishes of Britain leaving the EU? That you respect their democratic suicidal decision?

"You're just another whack-a-mole Europhobe cretin"

You are just a jumped up little twit who has not got one iota of a clue as to what was said but you want to babble on.

You and your pal deadlock (how apt) are either idiots or dishonest.

I have not said one thing that was anti European. Run along and find the FULL statement that supports your laughable claim. I even stated clearly that I am Pro EU (obviously Pro European as well) , not my fault that you have reading problems or you are too dishonest to deal with the real issue.

Cretin? You ought not speak to your betters like that.

Your argument has been greatly undermined and you are not one bit happy about. Now you try to find an angle to get out of the discussion by acting like some menopausal auld biddy with your strop. People like you ought to respect their betters and know their place. Shut up you silly little boy
    Last edited by Lord Windermere; 12th August 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Oh , I'm sorry , you were expecting a response earlier? Trust me, you wish that you hadn't

You post that disingenuous rubbish at 4.58 and then this quote at 5.02.

Bless you , you assumed that I had nothing to do but to respond so quickly

Anyway, I have responded since then. See above.

It's probably also worth pointing out that our own constitution was supported by a lower vote (56%) than for the lowest level of support for ratifying an EU treaty (59%).
    You can be pretty certain, based on the correspondences between the newspapers and public debates at the time that the people knew why they were for and against Bunreacht na hÉireann back in the 1930's, especially those where were against it . The No vote took issues on the Claim on NI,no reference to Commonwealth or "Free State", women's position, Church Special Status, guaranteed alienation with Unionists and of course, whether or Not Ireland had the authority to write it's own Constitution and remove the 1922 Free State Constitution. Areas where the no vote arose was Dublin County (hardly a shock with it including South Dublin) and Wicklow (absolutely no shock) and oddly, West Cork, until you realise that the vote was heavily influenced by party politics, a plebiscite by De Valera is hardly going to win in the Home of Michael Collins. Protestants and Fine Gael overwhelmingly voted No! (Read Joseph Lee's book Ireland 1912-1985)

In fact in areas like Roscommon, Cavan, and two areas in Cork , the SPOIL T vote was substantial

Moreover, the Constitutional Plebiscite got a 75 % turnout The last couple of Referendums got no where near this figure

So , no, it is not remotely worth pointing out when you are devoid of context

Ask the people, (You have been asked 3-4 times now, yourself) what was really in Treaties like Lisbon, and we enter twilight zone.

The EU has long since attempted to hijack the brand of 'Europe'.
    We have countries in Europe not in Europe and countries not in Europe that are in Europe.

Britain won't be in Europe but it will always be in Europe.
    Like Israel and a few of them former USSR countries in the Eurovision and UEFA tournaments ,lol

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment