Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Iceland to vote on EU Membership.

Iceland is in one serious hurry to get into the EU! Iceland's new Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir has said 'We insist that a membership application be sent to the EU before July.'

Will they meet us on the way out? Hmmmmmm....

More here:
    RTÉ News: Iceland to seek EU membership vote
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Gadjodilo View Post
    Iceland is in one serious hurry to get into the EU! Iceland's new Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir has said 'We insist that a membership application be sent to the EU before July.'

More here:
    RTÉ News: Iceland to seek EU membership vote
    I hope so, we don't need people like you.
    Iceland is welcome to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadjodilo View Post
    I very much doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon21 View Post
    I hope so, we don't need people like you.
    Iceland is welcome to join.
    I wouldn't want to be in a club that has people like me has members.

Anyway, relax Ramoncito. I'm pro-EU and pro-Lisbon but I'm aware that if we vote 'no' a second time, we might as well leave.

welcome iceland but i wonder is it a done thing? i was watching euronews and the report mentioned that they are very nationalistic there.

They are welcome to join, but hold your horses for a minute. This is a parliamentary-vote not on EU membership, but rather on starting membership-negotiations. The polls in Iceland show that while 64% support negotiations, most still oppose membership 45-39 (March poll). The Icelandic govt includes anti-EU parties that support negotiations with a referendum on membership. This context has to be understood as the govt here is exploiting the Iceland issue to pressure us into reversing our no vote.

If we vote no we're still in the EU and that's the legal and political-reality. We are merely exercising our rights under EU law to say no. If the EU is a democratic Union, it can accept no for an answer.

Like us with our dimwitted no vote to Lisbon ,the poor foolish people in Iceland actually thought they had gone into a superior economic stratosphere and didn't need the big boys in Europe to survive.But just like ourselves and our reliance on lunatic Anglo Saxon economics(Boston or Berlin my ar*e) they are now sifting through the meltdown for a few scraps to keep themselves warm from the economic winter.
    I suppose we could arrange for Iceland to enter on the same day we are appologising to Europe and begging forgiveness for getting above our station.
    I heard someone on the news today say that we received approx 50 billion euro since 1971 from Europe.......thank God we are getting a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Aherne View Post
    Like us with our dimwitted no vote to Lisbon ,the poor foolish people in Iceland actually thought they had gone into a superior economic stratosphere and didn't need the big boys in Europe to survive.But just like ourselves and our reliance on lunatic Anglo Saxon economics(Boston or Berlin my ar*e) they are now sifting through the meltdown for a few scraps to keep themselves warm from the economic winter.
    I suppose we could arrange for Iceland to enter on the same day we are appologising to Europe and begging forgiveness for getting above our station.
    I heard someone on the news today say that we received approx 50 billion euro since 1971 from Europe.......thank God we are getting a second chance.
    I'll take it your just taking the pi5s, because if your being serious you sound absolutely pathetic.

They can fu[COLOR=Black]c[/COLOR]k right off! We don't need a basket case like them. And besides, if they do join they won't be entitled to "active" membership for four years,

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    They can fu[COLOR=Black]c[/COLOR]k right off! We don't need a basket case like them. And besides, if they do join they won't be entitled to "active" membership for four years,
    EU wants their fishies though!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment