Register to Comment
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

SS Veteran parade to take place in Latvia.

TASS: World - Authorities in Latvian capital permit march of Waffen SS legion veterans

I'm quite curious as to what people here think of such occurring, notably as obviously it's quite controversial to 'praise' or exonerate Nazi Germany. The Baltic states and Western Ukraine which viewed the USSR as an aggressive occupant (rightfully so in some occasions) gave many recruits to the SS and actively collaborated in the hope of ending Soviet rule. My own great grandmother was born in 1939 and recalls vaguely how the general view of the coming Nazi forces was of "liberators", though that quickly changed when they sent thousands to concentration camps and raped their way through many villages.

Never the less I find it chilling and disturbing that a country in the benevolent EU would ever permit the parading and glorifying of service in the SS. I mean I can understand independence and patriotism and to a degree I can understand nationalism (though I would not endorse nationalism) - but I cannot and will not endorse the glorification of service to the Reich. We live in 2015 where we know the facts, we know the ideology of Hitler's Germany and we know it's ultimate final solution for people it deemed 'untermensch'.

It is the revising of history - one does not need to parade alongside Waffen SS veterans to criticize the USSR.

"Riga’s City Hall received four requests for holding public functions on March 16 this year. The organization of Waffen SS veterans, Daugavas Vanagi (the Daugava Hawks in Latvia) plans holding a traditional march of former Latvian legion soldiers and their supporters from among the young radicals to Freedom Monument in the downtown from 11:00 hours to 13:00 hours EET."
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post
    TASS: World - Authorities in Latvian capital permit march of Waffen SS legion veterans

I'm quite curious as to what people here think of such occurring, notably as obviously it's quite controversial to 'praise' or exonerate Nazi Germany. The Baltic states and Western Ukraine which viewed the USSR as an aggressive occupant (rightfully so in some occasions) gave many recruits to the SS and actively collaborated in the hope of ending Soviet rule. My own great grandmother was born in 1939 and recalls vaguely how the general view of the coming Nazi forces was of "liberators", though that quickly changed when they sent thousands to concentration camps and raped their way through many villages.

Never the less I find it chilling and disturbing that a country in the benevolent EU would ever permit the parading and glorifying of service in the SS. I mean I can understand independence and patriotism and to a degree I can understand nationalism (though I would not endorse nationalism) - but I cannot and will not endorse the glorification of service to the Reich. We live in 2015 where we know the facts, we know the ideology of Hitler's Germany and we know it's ultimate final solution for people it deemed 'untermensch'.

It is the revising of history - one does not need to parade alongside Waffen SS veterans to criticize the USSR.
    The answer is Stalin. What were the liberators of 45 like? Respectful of women and property?

Incidentally, do you know what Desh Prem Divas is?

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post

No one ever learns from history. That is why we keep repeating it over and over again.

Some factions in Russia will use this to show that latvia is a possible to threat to Russia, even though it it not. In the present political climate that is the last thing that is needed.

TASS is the news agency of the Russian Government, Kommunist. I think you may need a collaborating source to back this up.

I worked with a guy in Canada whose father was from Lithuania and who served in the Waffen S.S. The russians invaded Lithuania and a few years later the Germans drove them out and a lot of young guys joined the Waffen S.S. which was the part of the German army which recruited foreigners. Years later, he was farming in manitoba and used to drink in the local Legion which was originally the organisation for ex servicemen. One day the conversation got round to him joining the Legion as an ex serviceman, so he applied and was turned down because he was on the wrong side. He continued to drink there with his cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    I worked with a guy in Canada whose father was from Lithuania and who served in the Waffen S.S. The russians invaded Lithuania and a few years later the Germans drove them out and a lot of young guys joined the Waffen S.S. which was the part of the German army which recruited foreigners. Years later, he was farming in manitoba and used to drink in the local Legion which was originally the organisation for ex servicemen. One day the conversation got round to him joining the Legion as an ex serviceman, so he applied and was turned down because he was on the wrong side. He continued to drink there with his cronies.
    if you know your history you'll know that these characters were among the most despicable in behavior of all in ww2. and that is really saying something.

The Holocaust in Lithuania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the people NATO sides with against Putin as they continue their aggression towards Russia.

"Fascism is the merging of state and corporate power" - Benito Mussolini, founder of Fascism.

It should be becoming clearer that the nEU Empire project is about increasing the centralization of power, both political and economic in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Lithuania: 50,000 (officially Non-Waffen-SS) in the

Litauisches Polizei Regiment 1
    38 Police Battalions
    Lithuanian Territorial Defense Force (LTDF)
    Five Lituanische Bau-Bataillonen (I to V)

Lithuania had an official Waffen SS unit the 1st Lituianian Waffen SS - it also had lots of 'police' units that murdered their way through the Baltic and the USSR killing Jews and other 'undesirables'.

The Litauisches Polizei Regiment 1 was formed in July 1944 and was only used as a front-line unit. It ended the war in the Courland pocket.

The Lithuanian Territorial Defense Force or LTDF (Lithuanian: Lietuvos vietinė rinktinė, LVR, German: Litauische Sonderverbände)was a short-lived, Lithuanian, volunteer armed force created and disbanded in 1944 during the German occupation of Lithuania. It was subordinate to the authorities of Nazi Germany. Its goal was to fight the approaching Red Army, provide security and conduct anti-partisan operations within the territory, claimed by Lithuanians. It was later disbanded and its leaders sent to concentration camps.

Lituanische Bau-Bataillonen units were mainly involved in rear-area security and anti-partisan operations, with occasional frontline service. As they served as auxilliaries to the Ordnungspolizei in the occupied areas of the Soviet Union, they often supported of the SD Einsatzkommando's nefarious cleansing operations. The Lithuanian units were often put under control of the RSHA - the Reich Main Security Office, and the HSSPF - the Höhere SS-Polizei Fuhrer of the Ostland regions, and were at times participants in operations against civilians and those deemed bandits in the rear areas of the Eastern Front.

The 1st Lithuanian SS Division was composed of the 1st Lithuanian SS Regiment, the 2nd Lithuanian SS Regiment, and the 3rd Lithuanian SS Regiment, each of which had 3,300 troops. The 1st Lithuanian SS Division was founded in Kaunas, originally fighting for the Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front, where they fought in the First Battle of Kharkov and the Siege of Leningrad. They also fought in the Battle of Kursk, losing the 2nd Regiment completely. The commander of the Lithuanian Division, Peter Wenker, was replaced by August von Meß, following the defeat at Kursk. In June 1944, they were pulled out of fighting just before Operation Bagration, with Operation Overlord beginning. The 1st SS Division fought well at the Battle of Nanceville on June 13, but at the Battle of Caen, they lost most of their men. General Meß was one of few German generals killed in action, dying in the Battle of Saint-Lô on July 26. The 1st Lithuanian SS Division was bloodied here, and in the Battle of Maubeuge in late 1944 during the Alsace-Lorraine Campaign of George S. Patton. General Heinrich Anders von Wittenbruck assumed command of the division after St. Lô, and in early 1945, after his division was pushed back to the Rhine, he surrendered after the German High Command destroyed all bridges nearby, so the division could not escape destruction.

Your mates father either fought on the Eastern and Western Front with the Waffen SS or was involved with the police units that exterminated their way across the Baltic and the USSR.

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    These are the people NATO sides with against Putin as they continue their aggression towards Russia.
    Ah here. That's a leap and a half.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment