Register to Comment
Page 1 of 25 123 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 247
Like Tree91Likes
  1. #1
    Keith-M Keith-M is offline
    Keith-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24,012

    Are Orthodox & Catholic countries more economically inept than Protestant ones?

    BBC News - The eurozone's religious faultline

    Very interesting article on the BBC website. Is there something in he religious teaching that guides people (and countries) to financial responsibility or is it just the famed Protestant work ethic that's saving some countries?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    eoghanacht eoghanacht is offline
    eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,542

    This has been covered before.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Cellach Cellach is offline
    Cellach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,461
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Shqiptar Shqiptar is offline
    Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,741

    Is Iceland "Catholic" or "Orthodox"?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    greenwithirony greenwithirony is online now

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,146

    Think we had this debate a while back already, can't remember what the conclusion was though! I do remember though that in defence of Catholic countries, Northern Italy, Southern Germany, Switzerland, southern Netherlands & Belgium were cited as early examples of "positive" economic development. And of course France, though its status as Catholic is a bit more tenuous due to the many & various conflicts it had with the Church.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    meriwether meriwether is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,105

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    BBC News - The eurozone's religious faultline

    Very interesting article on the BBC website.

    A:Is there something in he religious teaching that guides people (and countries) to financial responsibility or
    B:is it just the famed Protestant work ethic that's saving some countries?
    Both A and B are essentially stating the same thing - you are offering no alternative to disagreeing with the hypothesis of the link.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Diawlbach Diawlbach is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,650

    The Catholic Bavaria, Rhineland and Ruhr v. the Protestant former East Germany, or Latvia. Discuss.

    BTW, the North of England was the hotbed of recusancy and then of Methodism, never of Calvinism. Weber deserves credit for asking good questions, but that doesn't mean the answers were right.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    eoghanacht eoghanacht is offline
    eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,542

    Quote Originally Posted by greenwithirony View Post
    Think we had this debate a while back already, can't remember what the conclusion was though! I do remember though that in defence of Catholic countries, Northern Italy, Southern Germany, Switzerland, southern Netherlands & Belgium were cited as early examples of "positive" economic development. And of course France, though its status as Catholic is a bit more tenuous due to the many & various conflicts it had with the Church.
    Poor Keith bereft of any sense of national pride longing for the discipline and order old mother england bestowed upon us, rejected by his surly, scheming country men who turned their back on the greatsest empire the world have known.

    Damn you damn you all.




    Oh and he was a member of FF.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Cassandra Syndrome Cassandra Syndrome is offline
    Cassandra Syndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    24,816

    Catholics tend to have higher time preferences than Protestants who have more of a work and savings ethic. That's one of the reasons that a one size fits all interest rate hegemony fails.

    To generalise, Catholics work to live and Protestants live to work.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    pragmaticapproach pragmaticapproach is offline
    pragmaticapproach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,421

    Quote Originally Posted by Diawlbach View Post
    The Catholic Bavaria, Rhineland and Ruhr v. the Protestant former East Germany, or Latvia. Discuss.

    BTW, the North of England was the hotbed of recusancy and then of Methodism, never of Calvinism. Weber deserves credit for asking good questions, but that doesn't mean the answers were right.
    Methodism seems to be associated with a strong work ethic. The Welsh are probably the most solidly methodist people on the planet and have thrived everywhere they settled, the welsh settlements in Argentina being a good example.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 25 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment