Register to Comment
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

I'll never watch The Magic Roundabout again.

Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Balls of Fury View Post
    Bright idea from you to compare numbers.

Yeah, how many people did the English kill throughout the world over the centuries of rape and pillage and occupation verses Patriotic Irish freedom fighters trying to free their country from the English occupier.

Is there a bookie in the house???
    Eh?

I wondered if those Florentines would name a street or two after children murdered by the IRA.

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    An excellent question. What is it about Bobby sands that motivates foreign citiys to name streets after him. This concept does not lie well with the Idea that he was merely a criminal. Surely it should cause introspection in those who would spout their bigoted hate filled posts from this country but it doesnt.
    He wasn't a criminal...he was a mad bomber and not some kind of holistic , caring revolutionary. Maybe the DUP should name a street after the outfit that blew up Bologna Railway station ?

Right. of course the strike was never about SF although it was a by product. I suspect those in Long kesh at the time and after would disagree with your assessment but hey its all about opinions.

Now back to that street.[/QUOTE]

You're right of course -- ostensibly the hunger strikes were an attempt to decriminalise the activities of PIRA, which lest we forget, encompassed not only killing police and army personnel, but also the indiscriminate murder of civilians, kidnapping, extortion, punishment beatings, robberies and summary executions, to name a few.

The SF electoral spin-off was indeed a lucky by-product, but at the end of the day, Sands and the sacrifice of his comrades made absolutely no difference to the status of NI within the UK.
    Something which I suspect few of the folks in Florence know anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by MrD011 View Post
    There is a street in Iran also named after him.

but i think that was done for other more sinister reasons
    Yeah, it was the street with the British embassy on it. Cheeky ayatollah pranksters...

Quote Originally Posted by Out Out Out View Post
    Right. of course the strike was never about SF although it was a by product. I suspect those in Long kesh at the time and after would disagree with your assessment but hey its all about opinions.

Now back to that street.
    You're right of course -- ostensibly the hunger strikes were an attempt to decriminalise the activities of PIRA, which lest we forget, encompassed not only killing police and army personnel, but also the indiscriminate murder of civilians, kidnapping, extortion, punishment beatings, robberies and summary executions, to name a few.

The SF electoral spin-off was indeed a lucky by-product, but at the end of the day, Sands and the sacrifice of his comrades made absolutely no difference to the status of NI within the UK.
    Something which I suspect few of the folks in Florence know anything about.[/QUOTE]

of course i disagree. your wrong, no your right, no your wrong. i suspect no agreement eh

the rest of your post is baiting. just what we need, another buck ejit with a chip on their shoulder the size of Andytown. as they say get it out of ye. me? well have little time for those firmly entrenched in old ideas, with an inability to be subjective and who just wants to point fingers and push buttons harder. off ye go

Quote Originally Posted by Protestant/Catholic=Irish View Post
    Was that supposed to be a joke?

It wasn't in any way funny and in reality was just a pathetic attempt at getting a few likes from the anti-republican crew.
    I thought it was very funny myself and especially when it annoys the sectarian murder gang supporters. I glad you have started spelling Republican with a small "r" as you are as far away from being Republicans as Stalin was

[QUOTE=Out Out Out;4984367]
    Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post

So don't address the point of mine.

1981 was not 1920 and McSweeney was apparently not of the opinion that blowing up a furniture shop would serve some useful purpose.

The 'occupied six' are still 'occupied' in 2012, the difference being that Sands former comrades have signed up to it and are busy rubber stamping British govt policy in Stormont. The hunger strikers sole achievement was the bolstering of SF's electoral mandate. For that, the party can be thankful. For everyone else it was a futile exercise.
    Of course the people in the "occupied six" took an awful long time to do anything about it. But then thats the Welfare State for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Yeah, it was the street with the British embassy on it. Cheeky ayatollah pranksters...
    Its the way he tells em !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Balls of Fury View Post
    What's that got to do with the amount of innocent Irish people English Terrorists murdered in Ireland and the amount of people who died due to Irish Freedom Fighters trying to liberate Ireland from English occupiers?
    You've indulged in some whataboutery too.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/europe/...ml#post4984365

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment