Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Britain’s: “BULL-DOG Spirit!”.. could Ireland get mauled?

The term “Bulldog spirit” has been used a lot recently by a number of UK politicians including David Cameron in relation to Britain’s stance against the proposed EU treaty changes.

It was originally coined by Winston Churchill and may have suited the stoic "splendid isolationism" of Britain in the past but it's hardly appropriate today!

For Ireland, Britain is our largest trading partner and neighbour with whom we share a painful and chequered past.

We are a small €uro island stranded between Britain, mainland Europe with America far off to the west?

Where does this ever widening gap between Britain and Europe leave us here in little Ireland?..

‘Bulldog’ Cameron risks having his bluff called - FT.com

PMQs: Cameron pledges 'bulldog spirit' in Brussels - video | Politics | guardian.co.uk
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Pabilito View Post
    The term “Bulldog spirit” has been used a lot recently by a number of UK politicians including David Cameron in relation to Britain’s stance against the proposed EU treaty changes.

It was originally coined by Winston Churchill and may have suited the stoic "splendid isolationism" of Britain in the past but it's hardly appropriate today!

For Ireland, Britain is our largest trading partner and neighbour with whom we share a painful and chequered past.

We are a small €uro island stranded between Britain, mainland Europe with America far off to the west?

Where does this ever widening gap between Britain and Europe leave us here in little Ireland?..

‘Bulldog’ Cameron risks having his bluff called - FT.com

PMQs: Cameron pledges 'bulldog spirit' in Brussels - video | Politics | guardian.co.uk
    It leaves us with a choice.

Do we choice closer to Boston, with banker bail outs and more austerity.

Or do we choose closer to Berlin with countries living within there budgets.

That is where this leaves us.

I choose closer to Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pabilito View Post

It gives us power. We get US FDI investment by the billion because we are a friendly access point for US companies to the vast EU market. Imagine if we were also the UK's access point?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post

I choose neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post

Countries living within their budgets sounds reasonable and logical.. where does this leave Britain?

Britian's bull dog spirit got them into this mess i doubt it is going to get them out of it. I think ireland(government leadership) tried to get a quick punch in at britain cause britian is unpopular in the club, then i would say britian will remember it and "maul" us down the road later on. It's not the time to take cheap shots are you listening to me Kenny?

It's a bloody shame that Britain has never engaged fully with the EU.

Because if they had the EU would have evolved differently.

And if they'd joined the €uro it would have been a completely different currency.

Britain alienating herself further from the EU is not good news for us.

It will give the Franco/German alliance even more dominance...

Mainland Europeans seem to have a very different idea of what Europe should be like and don't seem too bothered about losing all sorts of sovereignty.

Of course part of the explanation for this is that they were all colonisers in the past... Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Spain etc.

They've all colonised and dominated others... and possibly don't trust themselves now to behave without deeper integration etc.

But we in Ireland haven't been colonisers. We've been colonised - and have only had independence for less than 100 years...

...which is part of the reason I totally resent the assumption by mainland Europeans that we should rubber stamp their poxy project constantly - and why I increasingly despise Europhiles here who are so eager to oblige...

Will we get mauled?

Damn right we will.

Thought this might be instructional for those small nations who would impede the greater march of a better order.

From The Bulldog Breed.

Enjoy the glorious similes...

Bulldog Breed, Norman in his Boat - YouTube

Cameron is only posing to keep at few of the anti EU nutters onside
    Wait a few days and he will be like an EU PUPPY again
    He knows who is paying British taxes - the City
    (and they rely on the EU for their income)

Stranded between The UK, Europe and America?

It's 2011 for Gods sake.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment