Register to Comment
Page 866 of 4440 FirstFirst ... 366 766 816 856864865866867868 876 916 966 1366 1866 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,660 of 44393
Like Tree9066Likes

Sage advice from the US Navy Oceanographer, Admiral David Titley, on how to respond to "skeptics".

"There is not much you can say to people who believe it is a vast conspiracy". There is still hope for the open-minded.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

It has fallen to Andy Dessler to refute the Spencer and Braswell paper that led to Wolfgang Wagner's resignation, in protest at denialist "spin" of a flawed publication.

Here Dessler gives a quick overview:

The refutation is here: http://geotest.tamu.edu/userfiles/216/Dessler2011.pdf

More comment here: Rabett Run: GRL doi:10.1029/2011GL049236 Andy Dessler does not like Spencer and Braswell very much

John Nielsen-Gammon blogs about Texas record temperatures. A Pyric Victory | Climate Abyss | a Chron.com blog

Combined, the three months June-August averaged 86.8 F. This sets the all-time record for hottest summer in the lower 48 states. Oklahoma was running neck and neck, but came in at 86.5 F. Both shattered the previous record, 85.2 F, set by Oklahoma in 1934. Oklahoma can be consoled by the fact that it still owns the record for hottest individual month, 88.9 F in July 2011.
    The area called Bastop is suffering a massive wildfire. A blogger at Only In it For the Gold writes about it:

How old is the pine forest around Bastrop? I'd guess it's been there since before the end of the Pleistocene when rainfall was higher than today and temperatures were cooler. Probably the pines were continuous or nearly so between Austin and Houston. I'd also guess that it survived the Holocene optimal as I've heard from other biologists that there is significant genetic differences between the Bastrop pines and those of east Texas.

So if the Bastrop pine forest dies before we get rain, then I'd say the drought and high temperatures are unprecendented since at least the last interglacial and that this is no longer weather but climate change that is killing Texas.
    More (and pictures) at Only In It For The Gold

NSIDC have issued thier August report on Arctic Sea Ice

Extent is much closer to a record in the NSIDC data than in the IJIS data. A 3rd dataset (University of Bremen) has 2011 AHEAD of 2007, the record minimum. There is therefore the possibility that 2011 may be a record in some data, but not in others. Overall there may not be a statistically significant difference between 2007 and 2011.

Arctic sea ice near record lows

Arctic sea ice extent averaged for August 2011 reached the second lowest level for the month in the 1979 to 2011 satellite record. Both the Northwest Passage and the Northern Sea route appear to be open. Throughout August, sea ice extent tracked near the record lows of 2007, underscoring the continued decline in Arctic ice cover.
    Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Last edited by owedtojoy; 7th September 2011 at 07:33 AM.

News story on Texas wild fires from CBS

There's been no significant rainfall over central Texas for a year, said CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds, and today the consequences of that are being seen in Bastrop and other areas.

Since December, wildfires have consumed 3.6 million acres of Texas - an area the size of the state of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, there is no rainfall in the forecast for the foreseeable future.

The Texas Forest Service put out statement saying, "This is unprecedented fire behavior. No one on the face of this Earth has ever fought fires in these extreme conditions."

Tom Boggus, director of the Texas Forest Service, told CBS' "The Early Show" that as of this morning "There's no containment right now."
    It is a great news report, except there are two words missing: global warming.

More (with video) "No containment" of Texas wildfire - CBS News

According to the accepted PIOMAS model, Arctic Ice volume is at an all-time low.

We may get better satellite results later this year, or early next year.

PIOMAS August 2011 (new volume record) - Arctic Sea Ice

Cosmic forces of weather

Increased earthquakes around the Ring of Fire, Hurricanes in the US out of the Hurricane Belt, Coldest Summer in Ireland in two generations. The causes of these extreme weather conditions go way beyond the simple mapping of events on our earth. An examination of the cosmic forces which include multi million year cycles of our gallaxy are examined.

The following video, presented by the ground breaking young scientists of the LaRouchePAC science team points to the research that must be done to answer pressing questions, ignored by the more earthbound models. The work of Sergei Pulinets, who develops precursors from pulling together satellite data, normally seen as anomolous is featured.

Yes, this is a political website addressing these scientific matters, because very big decisions have to be made by voters. The easiest example is; at a time when many, including in Ireland, accept the austerity model, that we can budget cut our way to recovery, how will we pay for satellites and teams of scientists , which can accurately predict in advance where extreme events will occur, so that people can be safely evacuated and/or protected? An extremely well informed, educated and involved population will have to help scientists and governments make those decisions.

The Cosmic Forces of Weather?

Quote Originally Posted by rebellin View Post
    Increased earthquakes around the Ring of Fire, Hurricanes in the US out of the Hurricane Belt, Coldest Summer in Ireland in two generations. The causes of these extreme weather conditions go way beyond the simple mapping of events on our earth. An examination of the cosmic forces which include multi million year cycles of our gallaxy are examined.

The following video, presented by the ground breaking young scientists of the LaRouchePAC science team points to the research that must be done to answer pressing questions, ignored by the more earthbound models. The work of Sergei Pulinets, who develops precursors from pulling together satellite data, normally seen as anomolous is featured.

Yes, this is a political website addressing these scientific matters, because very big decisions have to be made by voters. The easiest example is; at a time when many, including in Ireland, accept the austerity model, that we can budget cut our way to recovery, how will we pay for satellites and teams of scientists , which can accurately predict in advance where extreme events will occur, so that people can be safely evacuated and/or protected? An extremely well informed, educated and involved population will have to help scientists and governments make those decisions.
    • What are the qualifications of these young scientists?
    • Who awarded their degrees (Bachleors, Masters, Doctorates, presumably)
    • Where have they studied?
    • Can you cite their publications in journals reviewed by their scientific peers?
    • Can you cite any presentations by them to academic bodies or scientific conferences?
    • What are the names of the Universities or Research Institutes in which they work?
    • Where do they get the empirical data they work on? Laboratories? Satellites? Field studies?
    • Can you cite an example of a unique, scientific prediction made by one of these? One that can be shown to be true and acknowledged by an independent research body.

Why should anyone believe a video from an anonymous, previously-unknown website if all of these criteria cannot be met?

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    • What are the qualifications of these young scientists?
    • Who awarded their degrees (Bachleors, Masters, Doctorates, presumably)
    • Where have they studied?
    • Can you cite their publications in journals reviewed by their scientific peers?
    • Can you cite any presentations by them to academic bodies or scientific conferences?
    • What are the names of the Universities or Research Institutes in which they work?
    • Where do they get the empirical data they work on? Laboratories? Satellites? Field studies?
    • Can you cite an example of a unique, scientific prediction made by one of these? One that can be shown to be true and acknowledged by an independent research body.

Why should anyone believe a video from an anonymous, previously-unknown website if all of these criteria cannot be met?
    I can give you a long list of such scientists, but since I think your question was just a sophistical ploy to keep people from watching the video, and addressing the questions I asked I'll let you research yourself which remarkable scientists may not have fullfilled the list,

As for you, we're supposed to take with the utmost seriousness every thing you post, but what are YOUR qualifications, other than concerned citizen, that we should pay attention to you? It's very inconsistant that you would spend so much time researching and posting these climate change studies, and put your self forward as an expert who demolishes everyother approach, but when other concerned individuals do the same you do nothing but try to poke holes in their qualifications.

Sergei Pulinets' team predicted the Japanese earthyquake in advance. I'll be glad to post some of his work on ionization soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rebellin View Post
    I can give you a long list of such scientists, but since I think your question was just a sophistical ploy to keep people from watching the video, and addressing the questions I asked I'll let you research yourself which remarkable scientists may not have fullfilled the list,

As for you, we're supposed to take with the utmost seriousness every thing you post, but what are YOUR qualifications, other than concerned citizen, that we should pay attention to you? It's very inconsistant that you would spend so much time researching and posting these climate change studies, and put your self forward as an expert who demolishes everyother approach, but when other concerned individuals do the same you do nothing but try to poke holes in their qualifications.
    Sergei Pulinets' team predicted the Japanese earthyquake in advance. I'll be glad to post some of his work on ionization soon.
    There is no problem with Sergei Pulinets, but what is the connection between global warming and earthquakes? If you can point out to me a paper of Pulinets where he explains this connection, I would be very interested.

I am a qualified scientist with qualifications in Pure and Applied Maths, including Maths Physics, working in the private sector - not academic research, except in a limited way. Track record is important no matter what field ... it is the first thing we write when doing a job application. What is the track record of LaRouche scientists? Simple question.

BTW, there is room for productive amateurism in science (e.g. astronomy, geology, meteorology), as long as it co-operates with the professionals. Science is elitest and a meritocracy, but not snobbishly so.

Here is a good video on science.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment