Register to Comment
Like Tree13811Likes
  1. #59191
    Trainwreck Trainwreck is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    19,465

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Easy to see that the "Forever Pause" after 1998 is well and truly shot. These are the annual RSS temperature anomalies since 1979.



    Replacing 1998 with an "average year" makes it obvious how the "pause" was a product of a freakishly warm year. There was a slowdown in warming rate in the naughties, though.

    What a data manipulating ninny.

    Instead "replace" 2016 with a "normal year".

    Hey presto, the pause is revealed
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #59192
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    36,991

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    Originally Posted by Breeal
    http://i68.tinypic.com/2zghrsy.jpg
    The high arctic is suffering the greatest weather change which is having a major impact...............

    Arctic Refuge Hit With Double-Whammy: Climate Change and Oil Development - EcoWatch

    ??????: You quote George Orwell but do not accept his advice.
    What an extraordinarily weak argument your man is using - based on a piece of newspaper clipped from a California newspaper in 1925!

    Because there was temperature change mid-century (and there is evidence for that) there cannot be global warming now?

    Is that the logic "There was A then, therefore not-A is in place now"?

    It could also be "A then, and A now".

    Incidentally, a British scientists named Guy Callendar published the first paper on man-made made global warming in 1938.



    Guy Callendar's groundbreaking scientific paper on man-made global warming is 75 years old : TreeHugger
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #59193
    Breeal Breeal is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,878

    Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    What an extraordinarily weak argument your man is using - based on a piece of newspaper clipped from a California newspaper in 1925!

    Because there was temperature change mid-century (and there is evidence for that) there cannot be global warming now?

    Is that the logic "There was A then, therefore not-A is in place now"?

    It could also be "A then, and A now"

    Guy Callendar's groundbreaking scientific paper on man-made global warming is 75 years old : TreeHugger
    The point that Odious has not so skillfully avoided is that this has happened before and it will happen again, our SUVs had nothing to do with it in 1925 and they have nothing to do with it now.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #59194
    McSlaggart McSlaggart is offline
    McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11,793

    Quote Originally Posted by Breeal View Post
    It appears the same thing was happening in 1925, an obvious conclusion which you have chosen to ignore, did your SUV cause the 'greatest weather change' in 1925 too????
    In the podcast of BBC Science Hour 14/05/2016 detailed how the shorebird, the red knot is shrinking due to the weather warming in the Arctic. It is a good show the BBC Science hour and well worth downloading.

    FYI:

    The changes in the Arctic are also causing “major challenges” for the indigenous communities in the region, according to Rick Spinrad, Noaa’s chief scientist. Warmer-water fish such as cod are moving north, displacing Arctic species, while an increase in sunlight reaching the upper layers of the ocean triggered widespread blooms of algae in the Bering Se
    a, between Alaska and Russia, in 2015.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ishing-sea-ice
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #59195
    McSlaggart McSlaggart is offline
    McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11,793

    Quote Originally Posted by Breeal View Post
    The point that Odious has not so skillfully avoided is that this has happened before and it will happen again, our SUVs had nothing to do with it in 1925 and they have nothing to do with it now.
    Could you explain how all of our modern use of vast quantities of energy/destruction of the natural environment would not have an major impact on the worlds climate?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #59196
    Breeal Breeal is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,878

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    In the podcast of BBC Science Hour 14/05/2016 detailed how the shorebird, the red knot is shrinking due to the weather warming in the Arctic. It is a good show the BBC Science hour and well worth downloading.

    FYI:

    The changes in the Arctic are also causing “major challenges” for the indigenous communities in the region, according to Rick Spinrad, Noaa’s chief scientist. Warmer-water fish such as cod are moving north, displacing Arctic species, while an increase in sunlight reaching the upper layers of the ocean triggered widespread blooms of algae in the Bering Se
    a, between Alaska and Russia, in 2015.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ishing-sea-ice
    Why are you ignoring the fact that it's all happened before and it had nothing to do with increased CO2 caused by man?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #59197
    McSlaggart McSlaggart is offline
    McSlaggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11,793

    Quote Originally Posted by Breeal View Post
    Why are you ignoring the fact that it's all happened before and it had nothing to do with increased CO2 caused by man?
    Do you have any other evidence to support the special cable from London?

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...HarJDlAQsAQIIw

    "The planet is warming at a pace not experienced within the past 1,000 years, at least, making it “very unlikely” that the world will stay within a crucial temperature limit agreed by nations just last year, according to Nasa’s top climate scientist."

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rature-warming
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #59198
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    36,991

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    Originally Posted by Breeal
    Why are you ignoring the fact that it's all happened before and it had nothing to do with increased CO2 caused by man?
    Do you have any other evidence to support the special cable from London?

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...HarJDlAQsAQIIw

    "The planet is warming at a pace not experienced within the past 1,000 years, at least, making it “very unlikely” that the world will stay within a crucial temperature limit agreed by nations just last year, according to Nasa’s top climate scientist."

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rature-warming
    Notice that yer man cannot site a single scientific paper in support of his assertions.

    There is a good article here on mid-20th century warming. https://www.skepticalscience.com/glo...y-advanced.htm

    It does not seem to be solely man-made in origin - but how that stops current warming from being mostly made by humans is a mystery only deniers can answer.


    Climate model results from anthropogenic forcings compared to observations (black line). The red line is the average of the four-member ensemble. The pink shading is the model range. The blue line is the ensemble mean and the light blue shading is the ensemble range.

    "We don't assume that the current warming is caused by humans because it's "unprecedented" or faster and larger than previous natural warming events. We know the current warming is anthropogenic because that's what the physical evidence tells us."
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #59199
    owedtojoy owedtojoy is offline
    owedtojoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    36,991

    Warming strengthens typhoons that batter Asian coast

    "A new study reveals that, on average, typhoons hitting the region have increased in intensity by 14 per cent compared with 40 years ago, with average wind speed increasing by 7 metres per second.

    “That’s a huge difference,” says Wei Mei at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, who carried out the study with Shang-Ping Xie at the University of California at San Diego. It equates to an increase in destructiveness of 50 per cent, says Mei."


    https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-asian-coast/
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #59200
    Breeal Breeal is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,878

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    Do you have any other evidence to support the special cable from London?

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...HarJDlAQsAQIIw

    "The planet is warming at a pace not experienced within the past 1,000 years, at least, making it “very unlikely” that the world will stay within a crucial temperature limit agreed by nations just last year, according to Nasa’s top climate scientist."

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rature-warming
    So you're admitting it has already happened in the 1920's and man's CO2 emissions gad nothing to do with it then?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment