Register to Comment
Page 3988 of 6680 FirstFirst ... 298834883888393839783986398739883989399039984038408844884988 ... LastLast
Results 39,871 to 39,880 of 66793
Like Tree14137Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Glanshanacuirp View Post
    Using a token amount of renewable energy and at the same time expanding the consumption of coal with a high CO2 output does nothing to reduce CO2 output

The only viable future is a transition using gas followed by a nuclear future!
    I am not absolutely not suggesting "tokenism" towards renewable energy, and I would not put all the eggs in the nuclear basket either. Natural gas I can live with, if the emissions are right.

We may be able to import nuclear-generated energy from France or the UK.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Agnotologist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    I am not absolutely not suggesting "tokenism" towards renewable energy, and I would not put all the eggs in the nuclear basket either. Natural gas I can live with, if the emissions are right.

We may be able to import nuclear-generated energy from France or the UK.
    We already do so!

Quote Originally Posted by Agnotologist View Post
    Earthling will be impressed. He will also be wrong. Quotation marks are used for other purposes, too. Chief of which may be to express irony.
    I really don't want to harp on about this because it will no doubt happen again but I will try to explain it to you:

You do not say "posts like those of realist" followed by a statement enclosed by quotation marks unless you want the reader to think you are directly quoting realist.

Especially when he then goes on to voice his opinion of the quote which he made up! It's really quite bizarre behaviour.

I pulled him up on it because he has done this before and I have already told him that I do not appreciate him falsely attributing statements to me which are based purely on his imagination. As is obvious to all reading this thread, Owed is a prolific user of ad hominem attack. But he needs to understand that you cannot just make something up and insinuate that someone else said it. Here is the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Posts like those of "realist" (=fantasist) are grotesque. "We are going to show our concern for developing countries by giving them more droughts, storms, food shortages, floods and rising sea levels".

How utterly stupid.

How about building flood barriers for our cities if it is cheaper than moving the Cities and learn to live with global warming?
    That may not even be necessary. And if it ever is, it can be done quickly.

The Antarctic ice cap is a gigantic dehumidifier, removing water vapour from the atmosphere.

If atmospheric vapor increases , it may lead to growth in ice cap and deceleration or even reversal of sea level rise.
    The models are too crude to be sure either way.

And don't mind owedtoj. This charlatan has no proper physics qualification, although he poses as a physicist on this site.

Sad.

There is huge capacity for people to increase their energy consumption as they increase their position on the Human Development Index

List of countries by inequality-adjusted HDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/iss...2005-07-18.pdf

China as the Great Green Hope?

Beset by unpopular pollution problems (even before you get to climate change) it is disinvesting from coal into renewables and nuclear.

A bleak future for Australian coal exports?

China's genuine green energy revolution | Business Spectator

60 years of Solar Cells

As Benjamin Franklin said, what use is a new born baby?

Actually, the "artificial photosynthesis" research is still going on at MIT under Professor Dominic Nocera.

http://pv.energytrend.com/knowledge/..._20121127.html
    Last edited by owedtojoy; 19th April 2014 at 06:59 PM.

Energy density is major drawback with renewables, variable and uncertain output is another, and economic cost is another.

Energy density is major drawback with renewables, variable and uncertain output is another, and economic cost is another.
    The drawback with fossil fuels is that they are dirty and excessively pollute the environment, unless priced at a rate that includes the damage they cause (which would actually make them more expensive than all the others).

The drawback with nuclear power stations is that the lead time of the planning and construction is so long that no one willing to put up the money, unless there are government guarantees of a price for the electricity. Reactor designs are old, because no research has been done for 20 or 30 years, and the industry has fallen behind its competitors, except maybe in places like France.

There is no power source that does not have some sort of a drawback. To properly evaluate an energy portfolio, you need to take in account the pros and cons of all of the sources, and not pretend your personal favourite has no disadvantages.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment