Register to Comment
Like Tree9045Likes

An update on those enjoying the balmy tropical experience that is a cruise through the Northwest Passage. Apparently all the rage now according to our local Alarmists:

North West Passage blocked with ice - yachts caught

The Northwest Passage after decades of so-called global warming has a dramatic 60% more Arctic ice this year than at the same time last year. The future dreams of dozens of adventurous sailors are now threatened. A scattering of yachts attempting the legendary Passage are caught by the ice, which has now become blocked at both ends and the transit season may be ending early.
    There may be a Darwin effect at work should any Alarmist suffer a tragic fatality from their religious beliefs and credulity.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Argument from Authority on Climate Change Not Being an Emergency Makes World Net Daily (a.k.a. World Nut Daily) Happy - "Panel" consists of 1 denier!

From World Nut Daily (WND) Watch:

1. WND publishes a snippet from WattsUpWithThat entitled, “World Federation of Scientists Cools on Global Warming.” Wow. Sounds serious and important. And my “argument from authority” detector went off, especially with a name like “World Federation of Scientists.”

2. What’s the source? It’s a blog run by Anthony Watts. Totally dedicated to “debunking” climate change. One of his main links is to Climategate.

3. I went to the RationalWiki page on Anthony Watts. He’s a former radio host and weatherman. Please note: Weatherman is NOT a climate scientist. Neither is radio host. RationalWiki calls him out on “statistical bull************************ting.”

4. Okay, so that’s just a non sequitur (though raises the skeptical flags) until I can find the original source. Again, what’s the World Federation of Scientists. It’s a group that has a website from the 1990s. Apparently they have “Permanent Monitoring Panels.” And one of them is on Climatology. With one member. So this is one person’s opinion on the matter, that’s it, Christopher Essex.

5. To top it off, a ScienceBlogs writer calls this out as a WTF moment. World Federation of Scientists (Permanent Monitoring Panel – Climatology) weirdness – Stoat

The descent of Watts & Co into nuttery continues. Argument from Authority on Climate Change Not Being an Emergency Makes World Net Daily Happy | WND Watch
    Last edited by owedtojoy; 30th August 2013 at 12:02 PM.

Lightning strikes Earth around 9 million times each day, so don't be surprised if it causes a lot of fires around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by World Nut Daily View Post
    a blog run by Anthony Watts. Totally dedicated to “debunking” climate change.
    I have yet to see a word written by Watts that attempts to debunk climate change.

Climate changes.

WND is obviously written for NUTS like climate catastrophists to read.

Suckered to their doom ....

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmuid View Post
    You need to read harder

The Curry mind blown quote was related to the following graphs in the Yu Kosaka and Shang-Ping Xie paper.

The paper in question does not support the apocalyptic declarations of your religion. You will need to look elsewhere for explanations for the previously denied temperature pause, to provide succor for your doom.
    "succor for your doom"? Wow. Sounds distinctly alarmist to me.

Always a good idea to consult the authors of papers about the conclusions to be drawn. Luckily the authors of this one have written a short post about it. Here is a significant quote:

Predicting equatorial Pacific conditions more than a year in advance is beyond the reach of current science. But we know that over the timescale of several decades, climate will continue to warm as we pump more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Looks like Judy's mind was suckered to its doom. http://theconversation.com/warming-s...ic-ocean-17534

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    "succor for your doom"? Wow. Sounds distinctly alarmist to me.

Always a good idea to consult the authors of papers about the conclusions to be drawn. Luckily the authors of this one have written a short post about it. Here is a significant quote:

Predicting equatorial Pacific conditions more than a year in advance is beyond the reach of current science. But we know that over the timescale of several decades, climate will continue to warm as we pump more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Looks like Judy's mind was suckered to its doom. Warming slowed by cooling Pacific Ocean
    That post doesn't address Curry's observation, which itself is an accurate representation of the analysis in the paper.

The authors are just mouthing their beliefs as Alarmist believers. They are not saying anything consiistent with their own research - which if it is correct that there has been a large natural cooling effect since 1998, then, from their own data, there must have been a large warming effect before 1998.

Their own paper, their own model, their own simulations put that pre-1998 warming effect at more than half the total observed warming.

If those authors deny that is a fact, ten they are not credible.
    Last edited by Trainwreck; 30th August 2013 at 02:32 PM.

A Conservative's Approach to Combating Climate Change

It is some comfort to know that not all US conservatives have sold out to the lunatic fringe.

First, the federal government should support technology inducement prizes to encourage the development of commercially viable low-carbon technologies.

Second, the federal government should seek to identify and reduce barriers to the development and deployment of alternative technologies.

Third, I believe the United States should adopt a revenue-neutral carbon tax, much like that suggested by NASA's James Hansen.

Guest post by Jonathan H. Adler, a professor at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law and regular contributor to the Volokh Conspiracy

A Conservative's Approach to Combating Climate Change - Megan McArdle - The Atlantic

90% of Odious' catastrophist posts refer to activity in the USA.

Does nothing happen in Ireland, or closer to home than that?

Is the USA the centre of his universe?

Dwindling numbers

And then there was one.
    Dr Roy Spencer is a creationist. Dr John Christy is suspected of being one. That would rule both out as true scientists in my book.
    I am making to an early New Year's Resolution ...
    I hope you took Swanson (whose paper I never read) to heart, especially his last sentence
    No instrument is 100% precise - all you will ever get is an estimate of varying quality.
    Sea level rise in the last century does not cause me to lose any sleep.
    I keep coming here as long as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    90% of Odious' catastrophist posts refer to activity in the USA.

Does nothing happen in Ireland, or closer to home than that?

Is the USA the centre of his universe?
    Worse, thy simply draw on political themes (e.g. an article by a lawyer, whatever), or link to rants on strange websites with names like www.wingnnuts.com, that quoate "rationalwiki" or "desmogblog" or "sourcewatch" or some other political activist den.

I think he has lost it completely and has resigned himself to sensless spamming. I know he has me on ignore at the very least, probably most sceptic posters. The fingers are well and truly in the ears.

A shame really. There was a time when at least he used to try and make an honest attempt to rebutt science or data.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment