Register to Comment
Page 3 of 6209 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast
Like Tree13226Likes

Re: The Climate Change Debate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factual
    I believe that there is a real problem with environmental tax: it disproportinately hits the poor.

Rich folks should pay a higher rate of environmental tax than poor. There are ways to do this.

Also you could give everyone a quota of three flights per year and allow people to trade.

How so?

What ways?

Not enough for business people. There fore how can we trade successfully?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I believe that there is a real problem with environmental tax: it disproportinately hits the poor.
    Not if it is properly implemented - quite the opposite in fact.

Rich folks should pay a higher rate of environmental tax than poor. There are ways to do this.
    You should pay for your CO2 emissions: The more you emit, the more you pay; The less you emit, the less you pay.

Also you could give everyone a quota of three flights per year and allow people to trade.
    Why?

Three flights? Doesn't make much sense. The emissions of a flight vary massively. It depends on the kind of plane or size of plane. It depends on the length of the journey, the turbulence and the weight of the plane. Does a "flight" include an initial transfer to Heathrow, for example? Is a "flight" a single journey or a return flight. Why should it cost someone the same in quotas to fly to New York by jet than to fly to the UK by prop?

A much simpler and more effective system than that or a tax is cap and share. It doesn't dispropotionately hurt the poor, it punishes people who live unsustainable lives and rewards those who are sustainable (or close to it).

http://www.capandshare.org

Quote Originally Posted by Electro
    Not quite. The two terms always existed side by side. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was set up way back in 1988. Global warming was used alongside climate change, but it's less accurate, since the overall theory suggests a medium-term, overall warming trend. People simply took the name "global warming" and said "But it's bloody freezing in Meath" etc, so I tend to use the more accurate and less ambiguous term.
    No. "People" didn't just adopt the term "global warming" out of nowhere; leftist naturists/environmentalists propagated the term into popular use. Exactly the same way with the latest buzzterm, "climate change".
    Eh, alright. I didn't claim that they took it out of nowhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert

How so?

What ways?

When Sinn Fein come to power, Factual will be issuing everyone with their own state funded videophone to make conference calls to business partners overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner

How so?

What ways?

When Sinn Fein come to power, Factual will be issuing everyone with their own state funded videophone to make conference calls to business partners overseas.

Oh..... very good then. Make mine an N95.

How so?

What ways?

Oh, they won't actually work. They'll just cost you a complete fortune in squandered tax, insist on operating through the Irish language and eventually blow up in your face. That's the Sinn Fein way.

How so?

What ways?

Oh, they won't actually work. They'll just cost you a complete fortune in squandered tax. That's the Sinn Fein way.
    Ah. It amuses me whren Lefties try to make things easier for Business people.

Does it matter, the changes being made under the global warming cause are badly needed for other reasons...

In the energy and transport sector, we need to break our dependence on fossil fuels, as they won't last forever, nor are they getting any cheaper...
    In the waste management sector, we need to find better ways of disposing of our waste as we're going to start running out of good places to put it.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment