Register to Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Twitter
    @

Cloughjordan in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...el-eco-village

I am a fan of Cloughjordan, and it's interesting to see this update in the grauniad. Could do better - we all could - but I admire their efforts and learning curve.

It's a reminder that many C02 schemes are based on public money, and stop working when the money ends. Raising the question, if we are all to live something like this, who will pay for it?

Few of us will want to live like the amish, but if it came to that and we had to, the model is here.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm surprised that they didn't try to muscle in some muh patriarchy muh vagina muh rape apologist all-white-men-must-be-castrated subtext into even this innocuous article

What a vile man hating horrible used-up old jam-rag this once decent newspaper has let itself become. Do any males actually read it anymore, let alone buy it?

it is an excellent and well though out project. Thomas MacDonagh would be proud of them .

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post

I am a fan of Cloughjordan, and it's interesting to see this update in the grauniad. Could do better - we all could - but I admire their efforts and learning curve.

It's a reminder that many C02 schemes are based on public money, and stop working when the money ends. Raising the question, if we are all to live something like this, who will pay for it?

Few of us will want to live like the amish, but if it came to that and we had to, the model is here.
    I saw that article, TBH I'd never heard of the place before. Interesting piece I thought. I'd have liked more detailed information but even a general Google search turned up very little, which is a shame.

And not a single pic of the place on Google Images, which is bizarre. I didn't think it was possible!

I remember when it was set up and thinking (maybe unfairly) here's another bunch of people who just want the rural idyllic life style, and who want to work around planning restrictions with the usual nod to sustainability and eco this and that. But, they do seem to have been genuine in their intent towards self-sufficiency and they have survived this long. So, fair play to them.

The wisest quote from that report is
    When I arrived, I thought the work was to bring a lot of approaches – green building, permaculture, renewable energy – together in a community,” says Philip. “Now I see the real work, in every community, is how do we cooperate when we have different values and world views?
    I was at some of the inaugural meetings for the ecovillage, but I stopped going when they got bogged down over a proposed vote to ban the use of pvc windows on the site. I knew it would be a very long road to get anything done if they were obsessed with that kind of nonsensical, petty bickering.

I have called in a few times, every few years, to look around. Saw the failed solar array, the general lack of maintenance of public areas, and a general lack of anything much happening. Polytunnels area had a "keep out" sign for anyone not signed up to work in them. I think this is symptomatic of the same issue that always crops up in lefty type communes and communities. Everyone wants to share the rewards, but when it comes to putting the work in, a lot of people will only do that strictly for themselves, if at all.
    On the other hand the community aspect looks to be working well (ie kids wandering around safely and playing with each other)

If I was given startup funding and control of a site somewhere a bit closer to Dublin, I think I could make a very successful ecovillage.
    Not going to happen obviously, but say it was a site like the disused Thornton Hall. Close enough to a city so that there are a few "salarymen" as the Japs would call them. These would inject some outside money into the local cafes and craft worker type businesses.

Start up funding because the whole place would have to be built and occupied within a reasonable time. Half-built ghost estates don't really work for people.

Put 3 people max in charge, because otherwise nothing gets agreed. These authoritarians would be responsible for making sure things worked. And for initiating new projects, and generally keeping the place well kept and vibrant. And for banishing troublemakers.
    Replace one of the 3 every year with one of the ecocitizens by random selection, much as the ancient Greeks did, (or modern jury service).
    Replace the other by election every second year.
    I of course, would remain a permanent fixture as number 1 in this triumverate.

A bunch of dreamers.

Thought it was the local Nenagh Guardian at first glance.

Have kept an eye on the place over the years as it is not a bad idea. I even thought about buying a site there at one stage. It has definitely helped Cloughjordan. The C of I school has had a major build on, whether totally attributable to the Eco Village or not I don't know. Yer man's bread is first class. Any time I've been in there it does look a bit untidy and un-kept. Don't know whether that's part of the ethos too? Anyway, when I saw the photo of the stargazing and storytelling crowd I felt a certain relief I hadn't taken that plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    A bunch of dreamers.
    Humanity would go nowhere without dreamers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment