Register to Comment
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Obviously.

Gardens are normally FAR bigger in affluent areas.
    The plebs aren't allowed gardens.

FG's Ireland
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    The biggest consumer of Water in Dublin, is "Arter".

I wonder is that very wealthy corporate conglomerate owned by aristocrats paying much for everybody's water ????
    I'm sure you could find out easily what the water charges regime for commercial entities is.

Even the most Arden fakers must be able to smell the bulsh of that FG "excuse"!

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    Are you sure that that applies in all cases? They're remarkably apt at taking advantage of every tax loophole going because they can afford the best accountants. I worked with some of these people. Cutting their tax bills to as near to zero as makes no difference is an obsession for them.
    there is affluent and there is super rich , most people in better of areas are still PAYE

Quote Originally Posted by HenryHorace View Post
    The plebs aren't allowed gardens.

FG's Ireland
    Give it a break

You probably have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    I'm sure you could find out easily what the water charges regime for commercial entities is.

Even the most Arden fakers must be able to smell the bulsh of that FG "excuse"!
    We get charged "x" for water and that covers toilet and irregular kettle usage.

Sometimes even a drink of water

Way too dear.

Are you sure that that applies in all cases? They're remarkably apt at taking advantage of every tax loophole going because they can afford the best accountants. I worked with some of these people. Cutting their tax bills to as near to zero as makes no difference is an obsession for them.
    You say loophole, most say pension contributions

Figures released by the Irish Times show how water consumption per capita is highest in affluent areas of Dublin and tends to below average in the less well-off areas, in some cases 40% lower.

So poorer people use less water but still have to contribute via taxes regardless of how little they use. Meanwhile the leaders of the anti-water charges campaign such as Paul Murphy and Richard Boyd Barrett are from wealthy areas of Dublin. What a coincidence!

So not only does their economic class benefit, but Murphy, Rich Boy et al managed to dupe a lot of mugs into thinking that they were the ones who'd win under a no charges regime.

In a country known for stroke politics, that stroke beats them all.

Water consumption rates highest in affluent areas of Dublin
    This is one of the main reasons for the introduction of metered water charges: a case I've been putting since 2011 to hoots from posters who swallowed the populist brick that progressive water charges were somehow right wing.

The sound of chickens coming home to roost, methinks.

The "fakers" didn't rule it out. They said it wasn't urgent because given the state of IW at the moment, there's not the remotest chance of it being privatized. No private entity would touch it with a barge pole.

For the record, I'd support a referendum. However, I don't recall any of the anti-water charges folks saying they'd do a volte-face and support water charges if such a referendum were passed. So, it's a separate issue.
    The idea that there should be a provision in the constitution to govern how water and by whom water is supplied is utterly absurd. You might as well have a constitutional provision on how dogs' and cats' homes must be run.

Either way, the entity that is Irish water is getting paid by us the public, I disagree with water charges but let us not get into that debate.

As our population grows, no overall plan has been put in place or has been approved by the general public. We have the water but it is through inefficiency that we find our self in the bind we are in . How long are we going to keep throwing money at something that appears to be a headless chicken ?

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    there is affluent and there is super rich , most people in better of areas are still PAYE
    The ones I'm talking about were PAYE folks, albeit IT contractors who were paid a daily rate.

Fundamentally, this situation is completely at variance with the supposed leftist standpoint of Murphy and Boyd Barrett. Wealthier people are using more of a precious resource. They shouldn't have it subsidized from the public purse.

Bear in mind that Murphy and Boyd Barrett are even opposed to excess usage charges which could be tailored to hit only the high usage households.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment