Register to Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cozzy121 View Post
    investment in what?
    Keeping them in stalls?
    Growing fodder in green houses?
    Mass producing low quality beef ala Brazil/Argentina/USA?
    Plenty of empty green field for more cows.
    Irish steaks are the best in the entire world.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

investment in what?
    Keeping them in stalls?
    Growing fodder in green houses?
    Mass producing low quality beef ala Brazil/Argentina/USA?
    Wow: you know your stuff

It's hard to imagine the state brazenly subsidizing another of Ireland's industries when they hit a snag. Sugar production was let go to the wall, Crystal/glass the same, paper production the same. What is the criteria for having your private business subsidized whenever it gets into a bit of difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    It's hard to imagine the state brazenly subsidizing another of Ireland's industries when they hit a snag. Sugar production was let go to the wall, Crystal/glass the same, paper production the same. What is the criteria for having your private business subsidized whenever it gets into a bit of difficulty?
    Get into banking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea C View Post
    Wow: you know your stuff
    whilst, your display of knowledge on the subject has left me in awe....

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36226347.html

...The Taosieach was speaking in the Dáil as farmers took to the Dublin streets to demonstrate against an EU offer to buy 70,000 tonnes of beef as part of a trade deal now under negotiation with South American states. The farmers warn that farm and meat processing standards in countries like Brazil and Argentina are far below those in the EU, allowing the imports to unfairly undercut home produce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/b...iobiotics.html

Ben Holland holds a Mason jar, tilting it slightly to show the powdery 90 milligrams of the antibiotic tylosin inside.

“It’s about the amount that one animal gets in a day,” he explains, in a small factory that produces feed for 48,000-odd cattle packed in pens in Tulia, Tex., south of Amarillo. Nearby, rumbling steam towers turn corn kernels into flakes.

Dr. Holland is the director of research at Cactus Feeders, a feedlot giant. During a recent visit, I found myself surrounded by men with Ph.D.s and cowboy hats like Dr. Holland. Several wore jackets bearing drug company logos that were sure to smell of steamed corn and flatulent cattle by day’s end.

Behind Dr. Holland, antibiotics were stacked in large bags rising to his shoulders. Every day, cattle here, whether sick or healthy, are given antibiotics in their feed.
    Last edited by cozzy121; 9th April 2018 at 04:10 PM.

Daft idea. We have had a long wet winter and now feed has to be imported so internet nutter thinks we have too many cows. Just because you're an expert in spouting bullsh1t, it doesn't make you an expert on animal welfare.

whilst, your display of knowledge on the subject has left me in awe....

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36226347.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/b...iobiotics.html
    My point is that Irish product is marketed as the epitome of the opposite of the South American.

When I read the thread title I thought you meant us !.... might not be a bad idea mind you .

Quote Originally Posted by Bea C View Post
    My point is that Irish product is marketed as the epitome of the opposite of the South American.
    Which I would agree with. The field marshal wants us to triple the size of our beef herd when our farmers cannot grass feed the herd as it is now. The only way this could be done is to stall feed them, like they do in Brazil, Argentina & USA which would lead us to crap quality, antibiotic ridden produce.

Don't know if we have too many cattle or if it's poor management.

However, there does seem to be a policy of growth for growth's sake. Farmers are expected to produce more and more and for very little return. And to what ends? Do we really need to be exporting so much around the world?

A different food policy may be needed that takes into account climate change, as well as other important factors around agriculture that isn't putting unnecessary pressure on farmers, animals or the countryside.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment