Register to Comment
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Like Tree126Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Iceland and Norway have huge hydro and thermo resources - no comparison to the situation in this country now or ever
    Right but I never said that I was comparing the two, did I.
    Needless to say the now or ever statement is false. Both Denmark and Scotland are planning to have 100% renewable electricity by 2050. Wave turbine technology is advancing, better technology will bring about better storage and let's not forget the EU funded ITER project is producing serious results in nuclear fusion, by 2050 commercial fusion reactors could well be a thing. What is certain though is that importing oil from horrific 14th century dystopias and burning it is hitting a downward trend. Watch the OPEC countries turn on eachother.
    Last edited by Roll_On; 13th March 2018 at 03:29 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    Right but I never said that I was comparing the two, did I.
    Needless to say the now or ever statement is false. Both Denmark and Scotland are planning to have 100% renewable electricity by 2050. Wave turbine technology is advancing, better technology will bring about better storage and let's not forget the EU funded ITER project is producing serious results in nuclear fusion, by 2050 commercial fusion reactors could well be a thing. What is certain though is that importing oil from horrific 14th century dystopias and burning it is hitting a downward trend. Watch the OPEC countries turn on eachother.
    They must be planning on going back to the stone age so!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    They must be planning on going back to the stone age so!!
    Its easy for politicians to set targets so far ahead that they will never have to meet them. I have always believed that the main difference between the U.S. and Europe is that the Americans look to solve problems through technology whereas Europeans look to regulations.

Twitter
    @

Right, but the operation of the vehicles is carbon neutral in that case i.e. whether the car is parked or it is travelling at 120km/h there is no difference in emissions. If you are counting the carbon expended in the assembly of the car, it's hard to imagine how an electric car could be worse than an ICE car. the ICE cars have a plethora of moving parts that have to be oiled and greased. The electric car is mechanically much simpler, a battery and motor with little else in terms of moving parts.

Your right, it's not, so when I started this thread I was surprised to find it is 80% "as bad as" an ICE car.

Thought it would be 20-40%. 80% because of the battery. Over a 6 or 10 year life.

It could be better by 2040, or we could have hydrogen cars, that was the big idea 30 years back. In the 1920s JBS Haldane envied "future generations" (us) because we could so easily set up windmills and use the power to create hydrogen out of water.

Right, but the operation of the vehicles is carbon neutral in that case i.e. whether the car is parked or it is travelling at 120km/h there is no difference in emissions. If you are counting the carbon expended in the assembly of the car, it's hard to imagine how an electric car could be worse than an ICE car. the ICE cars have a plethora of moving parts that have to be oiled and greased. The electric car is mechanically much simpler, a battery and motor with little else in terms of moving parts.
    Oiling and greasing does not add to emissions. All parked cars are emissions free.

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    Your right, it's not, so when I started this thread I was surprised to find it is 80% "as bad as" an ICE car.

Thought it would be 20-40%. 80% because of the battery. Over a 6 or 10 year life.

It could be better by 2040, or we could have hydrogen cars, that was the big idea 30 years back. In the 1920s JBS Haldane envied "future generations" (us) because we could so easily set up windmills and use the power to create hydrogen out of water.
    There are two issues. Hydrogen is a none starter due to its volatility. Iceland has 100 times more potential geothermal electricity than it could ever use. They looked at Hydrogen and decided against it. The problem with all these non starters is they provide a mental let out from having to think and calculate.

In the electric cars you are right. All I ask an reasonably independent mind is to count it up. That is all. Why does government not test one now? Cavan Co Co bought one and it failed. Its parked in a local garage with a green scum on it and grass growing out of the roof.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment