Register to Comment
Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes
    Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Glanshanacuirp View Post
    //

Subsidy hunting renewable developers with access to soft finance and tax reliefs are driving the EV craze.

Seems like the best course is to take the subsidies, buy that EV car as a runaround, and let our grandchildren worry about the CO2.

While they're tending their vineyards here... how tough can it get?

We're not hearing about EV tanks and government service cars, are we? One rule for the taxpayer and another for public service.

Has the IDA approached tesla about building cars here?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    I agree, I drive the car, the jeep and the tractors and I get no pleasure out of any of it. The tail light bulb was blinking on and off over the New Year and the Traffic Corp pulled me over. Heard the riot act and when I got home it was on again. LOL

Driving is a dangerous high hassle laborious expensive necessity. A bit like work which is why many people shun both. Cars, vans and lorries are hated by Government and local authorities. Lets see how they get on when they are gone. Will they be happy then?

Which brings me to my main cry, never ever vote
    I don't like driving either (I don't mind short trips around town but long journeys are a chore) but I do most of it and prefer driving to being a front seat passenger when my wife is at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Glanshanacuirp View Post
    The electric car lobby want more subsidies for electric cars which is another dimension to the electrification of transport & heating.

Not only do they want electrification of transport but they want it based on intermittent renewables and storage, and ignoring low carbon nuclear.

Electrification of roads could make cars very simple but the EV lobby want a storage solution to overcome the I termittency problem with renewables.

Subsidies for electric cars would drive more subsidies for more renewables and storage.

The main culprit for dirty air in cities are solid fuels for heating which can be mitigated by use of insulation waste heat or liquid fuels.

EVs struggle to compete on CO2 emissions with efficient fossil fuels cars on diesel petrol or CNG.

Electrification adds massive cost increases to transport and heating particularly when based of intermittent renewables and storage of electrical energy.

The cult holds that electrification in itself is a good thing.

Subsidy hunting renewable developers with access to soft finance and tax reliefs are driving the EV craze.
    Thanks for the laugh I needed that.

Look forward to seeing you in an EV end of the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbekh View Post
    Thanks for the laugh I needed that.

Look forward to seeing you in an EV end of the next decade.
    Elon Musk - The man who became a billionaire on the back of "Green subsidies" owes his wealth to clowns like you

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    Seems like the best course is to take the subsidies, buy that EV car as a runaround, and let our grandchildren worry about the CO2.

While they're tending their vineyards here... how tough can it get?

We're not hearing about EV tanks and government service cars, are we? One rule for the taxpayer and another for public service.

Has the IDA approached tesla about building cars here?
    Ireland does not offer a solution to global manufacturing. Regional supply chain and shared services on the other hand though, that's where you can get some tax advantages on the cheap when you employ your workforce precariously. Easy to set up, easy to pull out or downsize s the global squeeze on our tax policy gathers apace.

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    Remind us again how much the electricity from the new Nukes in the South West of the UK will cost (if they ever actually get built and commissioned).

Remind us again where the cost of dealing with the toxic waste will fall (if they ever actually come up with a way of dealing with the toxic waste).
    Any form of joke "renewable" like wind farms must be backed up watt for watt by fossil fuelled power stations, they do nothing except increase C02 pollution, wind turbines apart from being environmentally damaging are ecologically a total disaster. The only real viable alternative to fossil fuelled power stations that can deliver mankind's energy needs is nuclear power. We can not continue drawing energy from wind turbines that must be backed up by fossil fuels and there is no chance that any renewables, wind, tide and water power can provide enough energy and in time to ameliorate global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by venusian View Post
    Any form of joke "renewable" like wind farms must be backed up watt for watt by fossil fuelled power stations, they do nothing except increase C02 pollution, wind turbines apart from being environmentally damaging are ecologically a total disaster. The only real viable alternative to fossil fuelled power stations that can deliver mankind's energy needs is nuclear power. We can not continue drawing energy from wind turbines that must be backed up by fossil fuels and there is no chance that any renewables, wind, tide and water power can provide enough energy and in time to ameliorate global warming.
    Remind us again how much the electricity from the new Nukes in the South West of the UK will cost (if they ever actually get built and commissioned).

Remind us again where the cost of dealing with the toxic waste will fall (if they ever actually come up with a way of dealing with the toxic waste).

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Once you start to use a self driving car, the question becomes why would you bother? If you consider a stream of self driving cars travelling along the M50, it looks like a rail line. If you take the challenge and pleasure out of driving, surely the logic is to use public transport?
    There's very little pleasure in driving through heavy slow moving traffic in congested urban areas, all that clutch work and lane changing is a chore. Now put yourself in the passenger seat while a Taxi is ferrying you around, that's a much more enjoyable experience and the majority of drivers would most likely be very happy to take a Taxi ( if they could afford it ) everywhere they were going to have to encounter heavy traffic levels. That's what the self-driving car offers, it also offers the probability of far less bottlenecks and hold ups as automated cars link up with traffic management system to make traffic lights redundant. Also the owner of a self driving car can sit on the couch at home while the car heads off to do the shopping with the other half and the car on its own can also drop off the kids to football practice etc. Of course all that ultra connectivity re traffic management systems etc is probably 40 years in the future. In the near future self- driving cars are more likely to be introduced as a driver aide that will gradually require less and less driver supervision as the technology improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Plebian View Post
    There's very little pleasure in driving through heavy slow moving traffic in congested urban areas, all that clutch work and lane changing is a chore. Now put yourself in the passenger seat while a Taxi is ferrying you around, that's a much more enjoyable experience and the majority of drivers would most likely be very happy to take.
    True. I have no idea why anyone would willingly drive in a city. I spent 3 months working in Turkey and had absolutely no interest in trying to drive. However, I drove across Canada several times and thoroughly enjoyed the Lake Superior shoreline and Rocky Mountainns.

I just thought of a government incentive for EVs. They are said to be safer than ICE cars.

1) Only allow subsides for EV's for women drivers. They scare the daylights out of me. They won't get up much speed.

2) Allow drink driving of EV up to 6 pints of bear or six whiskeys. I might invest.

Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment