Register to Comment
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Lots of African children digging for cobalt.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    I believe it's not so easy. I wish it was. I do believe that once they solve the battery capacity problem, electric will take off. Would be cool if you could pull into an outlet when your battery goes next to flat, take it out and replace it with a "full" battery.
    It is easy. The materials in the battery are recyclable, so manufacturers will take them as "trade ins" so they can re-use the very expensive and very rare materials for new batteries.

There is no "capacity problem".

Nissan have a technology ready to roll out for quick battery swaps in the equivalent of petrol stations but there is no demand for it.

I like the idea of electric cars, once the power issue is resolved, batteries are still the big problem.
    But make batteries smaller and more efficient and we will all be driving electric within a decade.
    But, even without improvement, there's a lot to be said for electric cars..
    They are so simple in comparison to your average petrol engine. There is no oil required, no carburetor, no fan belt, no spark plugs etc.. You basically have a power source (battery) and an electric motor. Then some controlling electronics between the 2. They are a slightly more complicated hair dryer, or battery operated drill..

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    It is easy. The materials in the battery are recyclable, so manufacturers will take them as "trade ins" so they can re-use the very expensive and very rare materials for new batteries.

Nissan have a technology ready to roll out for quick battery swaps in the equivalent of petrol stations but there is no demand for it.
    That has to be bollox. It would solve the distance problem where consume s apparently fear limited range. I sniff bollox from your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    hope?

fücking idiot
    Obviously you don't do sarcasm, clearly I'm expressing how daft a strategy that is.

Bicycles, bicycles, and more bicycles.

Just like it was 100 years ago.

And even 50 years ago.

Nuclear is too expensive, and creates humungous amounts of long life toxic waste for which there is still no credible solution.

Anyways, you don't need a Nule to get around on a bicycle.
    More bicycles are part of the solution but a modern economy will require electric metros, high speed rail and electric buses.

Third and fourth generation reactors are very clean. And besides its not like we have a choice, we can't burn stuff for power anymore and renewables alone can't meet our needs.

That has to be bollox. It would solve the distance problem where consume s apparently fear limited range. I sniff bollox from your post.
    Most people do not need anywhere close to the range of a current EV for >90% of their normal driving.

For those who do need a longer range then there are other options, such as Hybrids and plug in Hybrids.

The ultimate "range extender" being a second car with a fossil fuel engine, but these can be hired on a daily basis.

But ultimately, Climate Change Mitigation is going to require major changes in how we organise our transport.

As I said above, think bicycles.

Every car has a range of how long it can go before it needs a "refill" of it's required energy source. Some gas guzzlers can barely make a 100miles before needing a refill, but they are special, most will make 500 plus, I can't find any table showing full tank to miles traveled? But I'm sure the evidence is out there some where?
    Anyhow the range of electric cars will be irrelevant, if they can get a refill, just like a petrol car..

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    More bicycles are part of the solution but a modern economy will require electric metros, high speed rail and electric buses.
    Not at all.

If you are trying to recreate the fossil fuel era, then these things might look attractive.

But when energy has to be managed more carefully, as it will be in the very near future, those sorts of ideas will prove to be vapourware.

Third and fourth generation reactors are very clean. And besides its not like we have a choice, we can't burn stuff for power anymore and renewables alone can't meet our needs.
    You are correct.

We don't have a choice.

Using less - dramatically less - is the only option on the table.

If renewables are all we have, then using less is the only way to go.

Just cutting out the waste will pretty much make renewables more than viable.

But Nukes will never be viable.

Waaaaaaay too expensive.

I believe it's not so easy. I wish it was. I do believe that once they solve the battery capacity problem, electric will take off. Would be cool if you could pull into an outlet when your battery goes next to flat, take it out and replace it with a "full" battery.

Most people do not need anywhere close to the range of a current EV for >90% of their normal driving.

For those who do need a longer range then there are other options, such as Hybrids and plug in Hybrids.

The ultimate "range extender" being a second car with a fossil fuel engine, but these can be hired on a daily basis.

But ultimately, Climate Change Mitigation is going to require major changes in how we organise our transport.

As I said above, think bicycles.
    Battery life?

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period
    So that's ~150,000km of driving guaranteed in 2017. By 2030 you will never have to replace your car, unless you choose to do so.

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment