Register to Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Twitter
    @

Where are we on bonfires?

Suppose I have 10 dry sticks from a tree. If I burn them outside, it's a bonfire and illegal. If I bring them in the house and burn them in my fireplace, that's OK.

Same sticks, same CO2.

If I turned them into pellets and put them in a bag, I could sell them to others to burn.

At the end of this year, any sort of ag waste, like straw or hedge cuttings, can't be burned at all. But the state can burn peat in power stations.

S.I. No. 538/2015 - Waste Management (Prohibition of Waste Disposal by Burning) (Amendment) Regulations 2015.

This won't bother me, but the neighbours are wondering what's next?

What is next? No cows or tractors?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm torn.

I grew up in North Dublin, where the Halloween bonfire on the local roundabout was a heady blend of anti-social behaviour, excessive drinking, legitimate risk to persons property ... plus the obvious environmental impact was bad (not only the CO2 stuff, but the fact that it's remnants looked ************************ty for weeks after)

On the other hand...

I've a load of old decking I need to get rid of.

Have you got tricolours or SF election posters on your bonfire. Idf so it's OK.

Where am I on bonfires?

A safe distance where I won't get my eyebrows singed.

Have to ask a question, visited a cousin who lives in the country. She was adamant that there are choppers flying around to see if people are burning in their gardens?? Is that true???

Personally, I have a couple of acres of trees and grassland here. When a storm hits I loose a few trees each time. I cut them up, burn them in the fireplace the following year once they have dried out properly. I burn the leaves (which I have to do as there is simply a mountain of them on the property). Grass is mulched back into the ground. Fallen tree limbs are added to the pile and burnt once a year with the leaves, I have to notify the local security office to make sure that there is no "burn notice" in effect.

If I couldn't do this, it would simply make life impossible here to maintain the property and keep it tidy. There are no civic dumping grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Have to ask a question, visited a cousin who lives in the country. She was adamant that there are choppers flying around to see if people are burning in their gardens?? Is that true???

Personally, I have a couple of acres of trees and grassland here. When a storm hits I loose a few trees each time. I cut them up, burn them in the fireplace the following year once they have dried out properly. I burn the leaves (which I have to do as there is simply a mountain of them on the property). Grass is mulched back into the ground. Fallen tree limbs are added to the pile and burnt once a year with the leaves, I have to notify the local security office to make sure that there is no "burn notice" in effect.

If I couldn't do this, it would simply make life impossible here to maintain the property and keep it tidy. There are no civic dumping grounds.
    Are you single, dear?

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Are you single, dear?
    Yes...but he sleeps in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Are you single, dear?
    Yes Dear... and I am expensive..

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental sock View Post
    Yes...but he sleeps in the park.
    It's parkland... Dear!....

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    It's parkland... Dear!....
    You can call it whatever you like

"Behold my cardboard-box shaped fortress, christened Shangrila....and to the West, over there near my shopping cart named Titan, my glorious collection of empty bottles...oh, the liquid the must have contained"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment