Register to Comment
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 310
Like Tree170Likes
  1. #21
    Treasure_Ireland Treasure_Ireland is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    587

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    For those who opposed this method to fund the maintenance and delivery of this essential service, you want it to be funded through general taxation right?

    And Irish Water?
    IW set up a system to collect charges that cost the same as the charges themselves. It is a failed entity. The idea was good - the execution was pathetic.

    They are in the process of awarding contracts on a similar scale to the metering programme. This has been held up by the unions and IW gave in to them. The councils will now have first choice at any work IW release through the contract - meaning they will attempt the work with the very council staff FG deemed too useless to manage our water network. Yes, the councils still employ all those old water staff that didn't move to IW. We have been paying them to do virtually nothing for 5 years because IW & FG were afraid to battle the unions.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Mad as Fish Mad as Fish is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24,490

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    A million is a lot of money to spend on any contract. A billion is 1000 times a million and only comes into play when we start to consider public service payments.
    This was the government estimate in 2014, when they were doing their damnedest to get the charges 'over the line' and so is probably the lowest figure they could cook up -

    But then in July it was revealed by the Irish Independent that the entire cost of the programme would in fact be €539 million. It means the Government was provided with information on the cost that was underestimated by some €107 million.


    Cost of water meters underestimated by

    So that's over half a billion just for digging holes and burying meters in them. Then there is the cost of the IW gymnasium and all those fancy salaries down in Cork, let alone the pile of readies that various consultants would have wheelbarrowed away.

    You didn't think it was an odd million or two did you?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    TheField TheField is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,510

    I don't know where the €200 million or so will come from... but by rights it should come from the social welfare budget, the housing budget and any other budgets that contribute to the financial well being of those who refused to pay a pittance towards their water supplies and sh*te services.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    shiel shiel is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,615

    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Ireland View Post
    IW set up a system to collect charges that cost the same as the charges themselves. It is a failed entity. The idea was good - the execution was pathetic.

    They are in the process of awarding contracts on a similar scale to the metering programme. This has been held up by the unions and IW gave in to them. The councils will now have first choice at any work IW release through the contract - meaning they will attempt the work with the very council staff FG deemed too useless to manage our water network. Yes, the councils still employ all those old water staff that didn't move to IW. We have been paying them to do virtually nothing for 5 years because IW & FG were afraid to battle the unions.
    The people in the unions were just representing their members.

    The people responsible for the fact that the water system was losing 50% of its water since independence were successive governments and the people elected to local authorities.

    None of these people were held to account by the so called 'free press'.

    Yet the 'free press' spent the last decade complaining about austerity and giving the anti-water charges brigade loads of publicity.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    Mad as Fish Mad as Fish is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24,490

    Quote Originally Posted by TheField View Post
    I don't know where the €200 million or so will come from... but by rights it should come from the social welfare budget, the housing budget and any other budgets that contribute to the financial well being of those who refused to pay a pittance towards their water supplies and sh*te services.
    The petty bitterness lives on......
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Treasure_Ireland Treasure_Ireland is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    587

    Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The people whose decisions bankrupt the country when they were flying high and having their arses licked by media prior to 2009 introduced water charges when the ************************ hit the fan.

    They then reversed their policy and opposed water charges.

    Media said nothing about that reverse but opposed water charges.

    That was the same media that said nothing about the fact that the system was losing 50% of its water since independence.

    Hypocrisy is too mild a word.
    You say the media said nothing about FFs reversal on water charges. This is yet another lie by you Shill.

    Fianna Fáil
    Fianna Fáil have had "more positions than the Kama Sutra" on water charges, says Sinn Féin TD
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0301/85...eachtas-water/
    Water charges could return through back door after Fianna Fail U-turn - Irish Mirror Online

    Not so sure if you even look at the media. FFs U-turn is all over the place.

    The media that didn't mention the 50% leakage also does not mention that 5 years later IW has not save any water yet. none! The in fact caused tens of thousands of leaks installing meters that they will now not be using.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    shiel shiel is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,615

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as Fish View Post
    This was the government estimate in 2014, when they were doing their damnedest to get the charges 'over the line' and so is probably the lowest figure they could cook up -

    But then in July it was revealed by the Irish Independent that the entire cost of the programme would in fact be €539 million. It means the Government was provided with information on the cost that was underestimated by some €107 million.


    Cost of water meters underestimated by

    So that's over half a billion just for digging holes and burying meters in them. Then there is the cost of the IW gymnasium and all those fancy salaries down in Cork, let alone the pile of readies that various consultants would have wheelbarrowed away.

    You didn't think it was an odd million or two did you?
    Irish water would not exist if the politicians elected to do the job had ensured that 50% of the water was not lost since independence.

    It was only when the government and financial institutions bankrupt the country in the pre-2009 period that the water charges were introduced in the 2009 budget and included in the bailout programme signed with the IMF and the ECB.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    Treasure_Ireland Treasure_Ireland is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    587

    Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    The people in the unions were just representing their members.

    The people responsible for the fact that the water system was losing 50% of its water since independence were successive governments and the people elected to local authorities.

    None of these people were held to account by the so called 'free press'.

    Yet the 'free press' spent the last decade complaining about austerity and giving the anti-water charges brigade loads of publicity.
    So you support the unions demanding that the councils take money from IW to work inefficiently. Well done shill. You have spent years here supporting IW and now you want the old water divisions in the councils to do the work again. Basically whatever your beloved FG do you will support it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    sic transit sic transit is offline
    sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    23,276

    Quote Originally Posted by TheField View Post
    I don't know where the €200 million or so will come from... but by rights it should come from the social welfare budget, the housing budget and any other budgets that contribute to the financial well being of those who refused to pay a pittance towards their water supplies and sh*te services.
    It's included in the spending plans and coming from general taxation. It's one of the main reasons the oul fiscal space is likely to be so small this year.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    Mad as Fish Mad as Fish is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    24,490

    Quote Originally Posted by shiel View Post
    Irish water would not exist if the politicians elected to do the job had ensured that 50% of the water was not lost since independence.

    It was only when the government and financial institutions bankrupt the country in the pre-2009 period that the water charges were introduced in the 2009 budget and included in the bailout programme signed with the IMF and the ECB.
    Not too sure what that has to do with my post but the figure for leakage was a political football that ranged from 40 - 50%, depending on which figure suited whoever was trying to make a point at the time.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment