Register to Comment
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Quote Originally Posted by TedHankey View Post
    I was in a park in a different place. There were bins there and people put refuse in them. They were emptied in good time and regularly. That place was spotless too.
    I've no problems with people using bins, it's the people who refuse to use them even when they're right in front of them, that's the problem.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    There's a case for taking bins away from beach areas, because it creates this nanny state mindset where someone else cleans up after the mess you created.
    Yes but that case can be made for all bins in all places. Or is there something about the beach that brings on a nanny state mindset for you?

In any case, it's ridiculous to expect ordinary litter bins to accept the volumes of waste generated by the littering underclasses at beaches.
    Oh it's a class thing? Cos it's Cork? OK, what about in south Dublin? Can we have bins there?

Local authorities are there for providing certain services more efficiently centrally. Removing waste from a beach isn't one of those services.
    If there are bins to be emptied why not empty them? That's the point of bins.

It's a lot more efficient for people to not bring volumes of crap with them that needs to be disposed, and make them take care of whatever crap they do bring themselves.
    No it's not. We are social creatures and we are at our most efficient if we work together to solve simple problems like refuse disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Was once in a park near San Fran. No bins. It's up to people to take home their rubbish. It works. Place was spotless.
    Was down the much maligned Jersey Shore last week - leaving litter behind on the beach is not something even considered ( at least the particular stretch that we visit) They do charge people to use the beach however so maybe that helps with keeping them clean

Yes but that case can be made for all bins in all places. Or is there something about the beach that brings on a nanny state mindset for you?
    TBH. I don't see the point of rubbish bins generally. Maybe, I'd make an exception for dog dirt, and babies nappies on beaches and parks maybe. But everything else, you should take home with you.
    Oh it's a class thing? Cos it's Cork? OK, what about in south Dublin? Can we have bins there?
    No, there are plenty of rubbish dumping knackers in Dublin too, and every other town in the country.
    No it's not. We are social creatures and we are at our most efficient if we work together to solve simple problems like refuse disposal.
    Disposing of rubbish from the point where you can be charged for it (at home) makes sense to be organised by a local authority. Not picking up after people in public though.

I'm in Spain at the moment btw . There are literally thousands of people here on a small stretch of beach. Almost everyone has walked to the beach or taken public transport. Almost no litter. Very little drinking going on too, even though the Spanish can drink with the best of them, when they want to ...
    Last edited by Orbit v2; 19th June 2017 at 06:32 PM.

TBH. I don't see the point of rubbish bins generally. Maybe, I'd make an exception for dog dirt, and babies nappies on beaches and parks maybe. But everything else, you should take home with you.

No, there are plenty of rubbish dumping knackers in Dublin too, and every other town in the country.

Disposing of rubbish from the point where you can be charged for it (at home) makes sense to be organised by a local authority. Not picking up after people in public though.

I'm in Spain at the moment btw . There are literally thousands of people here on a small stretch of beach. Almost everyone has walked to the beach or taken public transport. Almost no litter. Very little drinking going on too, even though the Spanish can drink with the best of them, when they want to ...
    An Irish person holidaying abroad would never consider leaving litter behind because it's not socially acceptable there.

In Ireland it is considered acceptable by some so people copy what they see others doing and know nobody will object.

Portmarnock did have a litter warden patrolling the beach some years ago and it worked very well. I don't know why the warden was discontinued but he did have an effect on people's behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    Photos show beach left littered with broken bottles and dirty nappies | BreakingNews.ie

It is astonishing how socially irresponsible some of us Irish are. We go to the beach or a beauty spot and just throw rubbish around . Once we drop it from our hands we seem to think that it is someonelse's problem.

A few years ago I went to Tarragona in Spain. Over the space of three days on the beach I found 1(one) sweet wrapper on the beach. The Spaniards recognise and value the personal duty to keep their beaches clean.

Did you notice the sign in Myrtleville which said "Leave Nothing Behind But Your Footprint". The users of the beach seem to have taken that as a challenge to their freedom and right to despoil.
    Hey man... go anywhere in Ireland and you'll find rubbish dumped all over the place.

We're a bit of a scumbag nationality who don't deserve to live where we live.

Have to say litter really fúcking annoys me lazy bastards.

What are they for if they don't provide services such as the simple task of community maintenance? Are you saying it should be privatised? Or are you saying we should discard the idea of public refuse bins?
    Which particular part of "You brought the rubbish with you" or "It was your child who defecated in the nappy" did you fail to comprehend.

When you are at home do you throw your refuse in the front garden ,or on the street ,and ask your local Council to clean it up?

No you don't. You are careful because that is where you live .

Public beaches or beauty spots are important. Keep them clean!

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    The rubbish in the pictures seems to have been accumulated because the council haven't been emptying the bins regularly. Failure to empty bins on a hot weekend and rubbish will gather and fall on the ground.
    It's no excuse. Any person who litters a beach rather than bring their rubbish home and dispose of it properly just because the bins are full is still a filthy, lazy pig.

When supermarkets and fast-food restaurants are no longer allowed sell products in non-degradable containers, the rubbish problem will decay and our beaches and everywhere else will be just like it was in grandad's day.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment