Register to Comment
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    It's possible that if they have multiple datacenters they would have support and application support staff there and elsewhere. It allows for a "follow the sun" approach.
    Exactly ..

From the article Half Nelson posted above ( http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...o-small-towns/ ) :

One data center can also be an anchor for others to join. "The aggregate of those could turn your town into a digital hub," Paryavi added.
    Here is hoping for Athenry
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post

South Kerry is an unemployment blackspot, without agriculture and tourism there is v little opportunities for employment. Funding has been made available to develop a cycle/walk way along the old railway line between Glenbeigh and Caherciveen which (if it went ahead) would be an incredible amenity that would rival anywhere in Europe for scenery. It is being held up for a few years at this stage due to a few farmers and, i reckon, the funding will be pulled and transferred elsewhere

The "greater good" must/should take precedence over the objections/intransigence of a few, imo!
    That raises my blood pressure any time it is mentioned. The public land that has been 'incorporated' into farms, i.e. stolen, should simply be taken back. The environmental arguments have more merit but I think we can cope with the habitat loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    Is there any level of cost at which you would say a small town should turn down jobs?

What I'm trying to say is, if this handful of jobs for Athenry causes damage at a national level - say, by causing Ireland to incur climate-related energy fines - would you say that it shouldn't happen?

Or are you saying that a small town should just grab jobs at any cost, on the assumption that someone else will pay that cost?

Should rural areas just try to drag the rest of the country down with them, or is there any actual positive agenda?

Honest, reflective, and meaningful engagement would be most welcome
    not at all

what i am saying is that if the IDA, EPA, Local Authority, An Bord Pleanala assesses and approves a development then that should considered the process.
    If we are not to accept the planning process, the EPA or whatever state agency is involved then what is the point of having the process? When is "enough is enough"?
    I am not advocating we do things like China however if there is one thing we are not short of in this country in regulation and I am unaware of any risk of "Athenry causes damage at a national level - say, by causing Ireland to incur climate-related energy fines"
    There is some "risk" associated with everything. The idea is to put systems in place to minimise/prevent risk associated with a development that is positive, not prevent it. We would get nothing done if that is the case

Take wind farms/solar farms which generate huge protest but are (supposedly) green sources of energy do you consider that they should be all stopped due to the objections/concerns of a few people?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    That raises my blood pressure any time it is mentioned. The public land that has been 'incorporated' into farms, i.e. stolen, should simply be taken back.
    Is that the case? was it sold/transferred to the ownership of the farmers concerned or is it "squatters rights" at this stage?

BY THE WAY ..

Anyone know how much the Gov are stumping up as a contribution for this new €850m Athenry data centre? What would ongoing subsidy / grants be if any?

I suppose a more direct Q .. How much are we ponying up to create about 150/200 jobs?

Crossed my mind .. Had to ask. I have seen articles mentioning that govs around the world are pouring cash into these to win bids but the return is cr*p .. its more the prestige to an extent

This from 2016 .. interesting:

Apple Athenry: Centre will need more than Dublin's daily electricity supply - hearing

WOW .. thats alot of Juice

It would use 300MW of power, which is 8pc of the national capacity and more than the daily entire usage of Dublin city. He questioned whether the impact on the national grid had been fully assessed.
    8pc of the national capacity .. 12 more of these type of data centres and we will all be living by candle light

not at all

what i am saying is that if the IDA, EPA, Local Authority, An Bord Pleanala assesses and approves a development then that should considered the process.
    If we are not to accept the planning process, the EPA or whatever state agency is involved then what is the point of having the process? When is "enough is enough"?
    I am not advocating we do things like China however if there is one thing we are not short of in this country in regulation and I am unaware of any risk of "Athenry causes damage at a national level - say, by causing Ireland to incur climate-related energy fines"
    There is some "risk" associated with everything. The idea is to put systems in place to minimise/prevent risk associated with a development that is positive, not prevent it. We would get nothing done if that is the case

Take wind farms/solar farms which generate huge protest but are (supposedly) green sources of energy do you consider that they should be all stopped due to the objections/concerns of a few people?
    Very true. All of this "due process" nonsense is such a waste of time. The government and big corporations only do stuff that is in the best interests of the public.

In North Korea, China and the Amazon Basin, they have a much better system. NIMBYs get locked up or bumped off.

It is not always "big corporate interests", in fact it rarely is

Many small businesses that try to expand or even establish themselves are regularly held up by the planning process. I am not talking about the statutory application process but by objectors, appeals, court cases etc

South Kerry is an unemployment blackspot, without agriculture and tourism there is v little opportunities for employment. Funding has been made available to develop a cycle/walk way along the old railway line between Glenbeigh and Caherciveen which (if it went ahead) would be an incredible amenity that would rival anywhere in Europe for scenery. It is being held up for a few years at this stage due to a few farmers and, i reckon, the funding will be pulled and transferred elsewhere

The "greater good" must/should take precedence over the objections/intransigence of a few, imo!
    Agree completely, should have been done years ago for small businesses, amenity trails etc. like you mention. But all of a sudden the big corporate complains, and hey presto...

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    National questions need to be decided centrally. The IDA negotiated the Apple deal and will have considered the implications.
    Fair point, although the issues emerging from the planning process suggests the IDA didn't consider national implications.
    People in Sligo and Leitrim decided fracking jobs weren't worthwhile so its not a case that every proposal is accepted.
    In fairness, the Dail has passed a law banning fracking - so that's more an example of national questions being decided centrally.

And it would be different again to consider the Shell to Sea protest, where it was more a case of a tiny community obstructing a crucial national project.

I'd still have that worry - a line can be advanced, grounded in this view of rural hopelessness, that can seem to justify any proposal that yields jobs.

I'd say the opposite is more likely, a data centre will need reliable power supply so the grid in the area will be upgraded, allowing other companies to "piggy back" on the upgrade.
    There's a lot of work to be done.
    Tech giant Microsoft is being forced to build its own power station in Dublin to provide electricity to one of its huge data centres..

The Electricity Supply Board said yesterday that one large data centre can consume as much electricity as a large regional town such as Drogheda and that the growth in electricity demand because of new and planned data centres is "unprecedented".
    The real demand may be for fuel trucks to power the in-house generators.

Nuclear, anybody?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment