Register to Comment
Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Solar Farms: Pros and Cons

Over the last 10-15 years, rural Ireland has become quite familiar with wind farms and they sure do divide opinion. Across Europe and the UK, there have many such solar farms built and no more than wind farms here, they have generated divisive opinions. But surely Ireland is not suitable for solar farms? Nope, the first one was granted planning permission up north last year First utility scale solar farm on the island of Ireland - BNRG Renewables and plans for The Republic are not far behind with solar farms planned for across the south of the country Solar energy project could create 750 construction jobs | Irish Examiner

Indeed the first planning application down south was recently granted in Wexford Plans for solar energy park near beauty spot - Independent.ie which is currently under appeal to An Bord Pleanala with a decision due May 21st 2015.

The best web page I came across on the solar farm debate between the opposing sides is this The pros and cons of solar in the countryside - Campaign to Protect Rural England and there are certainly parallels with the wind farm debate that continues to rage across rural Ireland and on here Wind Farms: Pros and Cons (yes I'm plugging one of my threads)

Looking at the few planning applications both here and across the pond, a typical solar farm is approx. for 5MW for export on about 25 acres of land, with approx. 20,000 mounted solar panels. Do such plans represent further progress in providing renewable energy or do they amount to a further attack on rural Ireland? Thoughts?

Last edited by ted08; 22nd January 2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The problem with these solar farms, like the wind farms, is that they take up a lot of space. Land area is valuable and will only become more so. They are therefore best positioned where land is nearly worthless and with plenty of consistent sunlight. Large parts of the USA meet this criteria as does much of North Africa. Europe however doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jcdf View Post
    The problem with these solar farms, like the wind farms, is that they take up a lot of space. Land area is valuable and will only become more so. They are therefore best positioned where land is nearly worthless and with plenty of consistent sunlight. Large parts of the USA meet this criteria as does much of North Africa. Europe however doesn't.
    On a global scale, this may well be true. But there is more than enough suitable land for our food needs in Ireland and therefore I don't see that this argument would apply here where there are probably limited suitable land for such solar farms anyway

My argument against solar farms is the same one I have against wind farms. Just a little bit of patience is needed before planting photovoltaic installations all about the place. The tech needs to catch up a wee bit.

This joint research between the Americans and Italians looks very promising...

Shiny quantum dots brighten future of solar cells

Yes there are similar arguments to be made against both, and ideally better tech and battery storage solutions needed before they can fend for themselves as part of the overall energy mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackcal View Post
    Oil €40 per barrel and wind energy retails for almost €400 per barrel.
    Coal €20 per barrel
    Wind energy a plan for economic suicide!
    But this is the solar energy thread.

Oil €40 per barrel and wind energy retails for almost €400 per barrel.
    Coal €20 per barrel
    Wind energy a plan for economic suicide!
    Source of this barrel info?

Can you not calculate it yourself?
    Provide the source to back up your claim of wind being ten times as expensive as oil and twenty times as expensive as coal please and then I can do my own calculations just as well as anyone. Would you place solar farms in the same category as wind farms or do you have a comment that relates to the thread?

Wind cannot supply the grid any more cheaply than wind.

True dat.

This oil barrel argument is nonsensical.
    One barrel of oil is 1628.2 kWh PEE (primary energy equivalent).
    An oil power plant is only about 33% efficient so you're only going to get 537kWh of electricity output into the grid from the barrel of oil. We'll ignore transmission and distribution losses because they apply to all electricity.
    That works out at 7.44c/kWh before we even take the actual operational costs of the power plant into operation (American cent) which would add significantly to that. I've taken the price of oil as $40 per barrel. Looks like I need to revise that upwards
    How anyone can claim that electricity generated from oil is cheaper than wind by multiples is beyond me.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment