Register to Comment
Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree956Likes

Nature Notes

Reading Michael Viney's excellent article on the heron in the IT yesterday It struck me that many posters on here are probably interested in the natural world and have interesting observations to share about the rural and urban environments we live in.

For example, I was driving along the motorway bypass the other day and saw, not for the first time, a kestrel hovering over the high embankment to one side. This time it flew away after a few seconds, but on previous occasions I've seen them swoop and soar. Clearly these unfarmed roadsides are havens for the small animals that birds of prey feed on, an interesting example of the law of unintended consequences.

I'd be interested in reading other posters' observations and experiences; should make for an interesting bit of escapism if nothing else.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The current inhabitants of our garden are the neighbours dog, a feral cat, the odd deer, a rabbit that has found us in recent weeks and moved in, and yesterday a very persistent robin.

I have a nest of very noisy seagulls on an adjoining roof. Seems there's a baby in the nest and you can tell by the higher pitched squawks. For some odd reason they seem to keep sociable hours and don't screech their way through the night as happened with a previous brood.

I've lived here for 6 years and it would be great to see a hedgehog!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai123 View Post
    Very rarely seen here in South Kerry, likelier to see a badger than a hedgehog.

See lots of interesting stuff walking the dog along canal and river. Westie loves mooching and disturbs rats and mice who I quite admire in their natural surroundings. There used to be kingfishers but they seem to have disappeared this year. A recent arrival on canal is pair of exotically coloured ducks which I still haven't identified. I suspect they may actually have come from the zoo which is quite close. Seems to be a lot of people fishing on both the river and canal but not seen anyone catch anything, and during a recent competition on the canal no-one had caught anything in three hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai123 View Post
    We have hedgehogs around the place; sadly I saw a roadkill one just the other day.

I noticed recently that we have two different varieties of buttercup in the garden, the tall Meadow Buttercup and the poisonous Creeping buttercup, in a fairly small if somewhat unkempt patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    See lots of interesting stuff walking the dog along canal and river. Westie loves mooching and disturbs rats and mice who I quite admire in their natural surroundings. There used to be kingfishers but they seem to have disappeared this year. A recent arrival on canal is pair of exotically coloured ducks which I still haven't identified. I suspect they may actually have come from the zoo which is quite close. Seems to be a lot of people fishing on both the river and canal but not seen anyone catch anything, and during a recent competition on the canal no-one had caught anything in three hours!
    The ducks could be Mandarin Ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post

Thanks. The very same. Handsome creatures:

Mandarin Ducks in Dublin - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Thanks. The very same. Handsome creatures:

Mandarin Ducks in Dublin - YouTube
    Now that what I created this thread for!

Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment