Register to Comment
Page 1 of 21 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Wexford fisherman gives away free fish after exceeding quota

my hero of the day, good to see someone sticking up for common sense. And good to see that the relevant quango and police have time on their hands to oversee this agregious activity, clearily there is nothing else more pressing.

It really does call into question how much waste in food and fish the EU has been responsible for over the years and then we get taxed for the privilege of enforcing it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1004/mon...oflaherty.html

Seamus O'Flaherty, who own the Saltees Quest, gave away the fish rather than discard it at sea after the vessel exceeded its EU quota of monkfish.

He said he took the action to highlight a campaign by who oppose the EU rule that requires over-quota fish to be thrown back in the sea.

Officers from the Sea Fisheries Protection Authority monitored the activity.

The vessel's skipper, Jimmy Byrne, is at Kilmore Quay with officers from the SFPA and gardaí are present.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Fair play to him!! The EU imposed wastage for fishermen is a scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    my hero of the day, good to see someone sticking up for common sense. And good to see that the relevant quango and police have time on their hands to oversee this agregious activity, clearily there is nothing else more pressing.

It really does call into question how much waste in food and fish the EU has been responsible for over the years and they we get taxed for the privilege of enforcing it.

Wexford fisherman gives away free monkfish after exceeding EU quota - RT News
    Fair play to him.... Ireland's whitefish industry has been destroyed by the EU to the benefit of the French and Spanish fleets.

Overfishing is a problem.

Im glad he gave the fish away for free, but why didnt he just catch less fish in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post

Im glad he gave the fish away for free, but why didnt he just catch less fish in the first place?
    Nets do not know how much of what fish is in them at any given time. I'm sure they could estimate weight of catch, but I doubt if they could be any more specific than that.

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post

It's a bit more complicated than that.

And the Spanish fishermen overfished in our waters for decades.

As much as I respect all fishermen and women, this does not solve our problems regarding stocks....

Ok it nice to get a few free monkfish, and I appreciate that over catches are thrown back, dead and useless but......

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Nets do not know how much of what fish is in them at any given time. I'm sure they could estimate weight of catch, but I doubt if they could be any more specific than that.
    There are things you can do with the design of nets to allow certain species to escape and regulations have been in for sometime regarding them. However, as you rightly pointed out, it's inevitable some other species will get caught. The solution the EU have is to throw them away which is lunacy. They should have a system where they can be sold and offset from future quota.

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Use smaller nets?

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    It's a bit more complicated than that.

And the Spanish fishermen overfished in our waters for decades.
    Just becasue the Spanish overfished doesnt mean we have to.

Page 1 of 21 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment