Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

€8 billion investment in Irish midlands Wind farms to export energy to the UK

I did a search for this topic but couldnt find a dedicated thread. Surprising as the company involved, Element Power, claims 2,000 long-term jobs and as many as 10,000 jobs in the construction phase.

IT article here:
    €8bn investment in Irish wind farms - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 18, 2012

the basics:

*€8 billion investment in Ireland after signing a contract with the UK national grid.
    *40 new wind farms in midland counties and channelling the energy to the UK market via dedicated sub-sea cables
    *the UK power market can take the output at all times,
    *The company said it hoped to have all landowners it required signed up by the end of the year.
    *the company was talking to landowners in Meath, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly and Kildare about securing permission for the connected wind farms. He said one-third had signed up and others had agreed terms.
    *It also expects a decision from An Bord Pleanála within a couple of months on whether the project will come under the terms of the Strategic Infrastructural Development Act, allowing it to avoid an extended series of individual planning processes.

Sound's good to me.

Thoughts?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

I'm going to bed to cover my head.

Energy Co-operatives Ireland – energyco-ops.ie

How to we as individuals get a piece of the action ?

Is there an investment fund that invests specifically in these projects ?

Thankyou Great Britain.

Looks like the Brits are the only serious ones about actually taping our natural resources. Good news for Ireland but it shows just how useless our government are.

Now if we could just export some Gas.....

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post

Energy Co-operatives Ireland – energyco-ops.ie

Quote Originally Posted by human 19 View Post
    I did a search for this topic but couldn't find a dedicated thread. Surprising as the company involved, Element Power, claims 2,000 long-term jobs and as many as 10,000 jobs in the construction phase.

IT article here:
    €8bn investment in Irish wind farms - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 18, 2012

the basics:

*€8 billion investment in Ireland after signing a contract with the UK national grid.
    *40 new wind farms in midland counties and channelling the energy to the UK market via dedicated sub-sea cables
    *the UK power market can take the output at all times,
    *The company said it hoped to have all landowners it required signed up by the end of the year.
    *the company was talking to landowners in Meath, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly and Kildare about securing permission for the connected wind farms. He said one-third had signed up and others had agreed terms.
    *It also expects a decision from An Bord Pleanála within a couple of months on whether the project will come under the terms of the Strategic Infrastructural Development Act, allowing it to avoid an extended series of individual planning processes.

Sound's good to me.

Thoughts?
    Landowners not signed up -no planning permission -I was watching a show about this in the UK- when the planning application went in le merde hit the fan. This is a long way off if ,indeed, it ever comes to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post

Cant find anything after looking at the websites

Element Power

Home - Greenwire

their owners
    Hudson Clean Energy Partners

I did see this, though. Bloody hell! You jammy gits! And me next-door in Longford!

“Enabling Broadband

It is standard to install fibre optic connections both along with the HVDC cable between UK and Ireland, and between the various wind farms in the Midlands. This creates the opportunity to have a very substantial broadband network in its own right, significantly improving the prospects for attracting IT and data processing related industries to nearby towns. Greenwire is working with the DCENR* to make sure this system is designed to deliver the maximum benefit for Ireland.”

Local jobs in the country are estimated at 400, according to the Meath Chronicle.

That would make a change since Meath has become a "dormitory suburb" for Dublin with little skilled work within the county.

As for objections to wind farms, we are talking about people who had no problem with a motorway being built across one of the most historic and significant landscapes in Europe, so there would hardly be any objections on account of loss of visual amenity, would there?

The investment is good but I'm not a fan of the 'smart grid' or 'smart meters'.

Smart meter is a device that will record every piece of technology you use and even what TV programme you're watching (the ultimate spy chip in the name of energy conservation). Plus they emit harmful radiation continuously - there's a huge furore in the US where they have been implemented en masse.

Smart Meter Radiation Messes with Your Brain | Stop Smart Meters!
    Smart grid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smart meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are to be implemented in Ireland soon - hopefully they won't be mandatory - I will be opting OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by rhonda15 View Post
    The investment is good but I'm not a fan of the 'smart grid' or 'smart meters'.
    Where did that come from? Did I miss something? Or are you on your own crusade regarding something completely different?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment