Register to Comment
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Home Rainwater Harvesting:

The idea of harvesting rainwater at home has been with me for some time, but since the talk of water charges have come in to the public domain, the idea has never been more prevalent. The following video is from an American perspective but one assumes it can easily be done here in Ireland, considering our annual rain fall levels.

How to recycle rain water for use at home | SmartPlanet

In the video, the narrator suggests you could be in violation of the law unless you have a permit. Do such laws exist in Ireland, or even on a grander scale, the European Union? I've already taken the initiative and have placed a bucket under my gutter pipe!

In my opinion, home rainwater harvesting should be compulsory in Ireland.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I remember my grandparents had a large barrel under the rainwater chutes. Full barrel of water for watering garden, plants and washing windows cars etc. No reason why we can't use rainwater to replace fresh water for 'greywater' use i.e. washing machines showers toilets etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RepublicOfLuas View Post
    The idea of harvesting rainwater at home has been with me for some time, but since the talk of water charges have come in to the public domain, the idea has never been more prevalent. The following video is from an American perspective but one assumes it can easily be done here in Ireland, considering our annual rain fall levels.

In the video, the narrator suggests you could be in violation of the law unless you have a permit. Do such laws exist in Ireland, or even on a grander scale, the European Union? I've already taken the initiative and have placed a bucket under my gutter pipe!

I agree. Have been collecting rainwater for the past few years for watering the garden but now I will use it for filling the cistern as well. Good post btw

I have saved rain water for a few years now. I use it for the Garden, washing the cars, patio cleaning. When charges come in there will be a lot more of it. That will be a good thing. Listening to Mooney on radio 1 to-day, Iheard that a lot of older houses still have lead pipes, these pipes are a serious health hazzard. Also these pipes, which are on the inner side of the street water cock,are also leaking in many cases. People will face a lot more cost, when we are metered,if they do not repair these leaks.

Hmmm... I feel a new business idea coming along

Absolutely.

The idea of using drinking water to flush toilets, water lawns and clean cars is beyond stupid.

But where is the Government campaign on this?

There isn't one.

There won't be one.

They want to commodify water so it can be sold to a private company.

The money to be used to pay the Promissory Notes.

makes perfect sense really when you think about it. I believe this issue will see more attention the closer we get to the water charges.

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    I have saved rain water for a few years now. I use it for the Garden, washing the cars, patio cleaning. When charges come in there will be a lot more of it. That will be a good thing. Listening to Mooney on radio 1 to-day, Iheard that a lot of older houses still have lead pipes, these pipes are a serious health hazzard. Also these pipes, which are on the inner side of the street water cock,are also leaking in many cases. People will face a lot more cost, when we are metered,if they do not repair these leaks.
    Exactly. The water system is riddled with leaks. The proposed money for meter installation would be better spent on replacing the pipes.

...In the video, the narrator suggests you could be in violation of the law unless you have a permit. Do such laws exist in Ireland, or even on a grander scale, the European Union? I've already taken the initiative and have placed a bucket under my gutter pipe!

I don't think there's any law against rainwater harvesting...yet !.

I have no water supply where I live and collect all the water for the house and garden, at any one time I have 4000 litres in reserve, I have a composting loo which needs no water. on average I use only 500-600 litres a week, usually no shortage of rain here in the north west. Peronaly I hate flushing toilets and the waste of potable water wasted down them. I hope for a time when no house can be constructed without a harvesting system at the very least supplying the toilet and washing machine system.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment