Register to Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Peppermint View Post
    I reckon harvesting rain water has some potential in this country, over the next few years.
    A lot will depend on the level of water charges, when they are introduced, as to whether alternatives are competitive.

Harvesting rain water here is fairly straight forward. But introducing it to your average consumer isn't.

If, for example, you want to harvest and use rain water for flushing the loo, you need a large water store somewhere? If you have a store you need a bit a a control system to decide which water to use..
    If your rain store emptied, you would want your water system to switch to the, paid for, water system, with little (or preferably no) user intervention.
    At the basic level water harvesting is simple, but to introduce it into the average home requires some thought...
    Took me some years to work our system out. Bit by bit it came along. Great satisfaction-f uck Hogan !
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    There are special water tanks on the market- they cost about 450 euros for a 1500 l tank. Must be certified for potable water- and ordinary oil tank cannot be used. Several tanks in a row keep you afloat. I have a small tower behind the house with a tank on top. I use a pump to fill it with water from the tanks positioned around the house and sheds. This gives me the pressure in the tabs. A filling lasts about 10 days.
    Important- you have to clean the gutters- leaves can block them.Do not worry about a dirt film in the tanks- this is the living space of valuable bacteria killing all the bad ones. Never clean too much. The cleaner the tanks, the less of valuable bacteria.
    Thank you Olli. I will look into this... appreciated. Fortunately we're tapped into a well too, pump and salt; so this takes care of most, with own sceptic tank etc. Interestingly, the sceptic tank is 40-years old and had it emptied last month, dreading the worse. But, the news was good in that it would still stand up to any inspection today. The town nearby has just recently provided a connection to the main sewerage but will cost a good few thousand to put in the connection between house and mains.

I want to find more friendly ways to take advantage of the water pour we have and consider how else it can be used once we've trapped it. Right now, it's not being trapped. So, thanks for the tanker suggestion. I'm thinking about a huge plant area out the back which is currently decorated lawn... a waste of space if you ask me if you saw the flippin front lawn ... time to get productive. Where were the Green's when all of this stuff was important? Shower of shytes.
    Last edited by DownTheyGo; 5th May 2012 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    There are special water tanks on the market- they cost about 450 euros for a 1500 l tank. Must be certified for potable water- and ordinary oil tank cannot be used. Several tanks in a row keep you afloat. I have a small tower behind the house with a tank on top. I use a pump to fill it with water from the tanks positioned around the house and sheds. This gives me the pressure in the tabs. A filling lasts about 10 days.
    Important- you have to clean the gutters- leaves can block them.Do not worry about a dirt film in the tanks- this is the living space of valuable bacteria killing all the bad ones. Never clean too much. The cleaner the tanks, the less of valuable bacteria.
    Why would an oil tank be unsuitable? Also,someone once told me that only water collected from a PVC coated roof was suitable for showers and washing machines. Do you know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Emperor View Post
    Why would an oil tank be unsuitable? Also,someone once told me that only water collected from a PVC coated roof was suitable for showers and washing machines. Do you know anything about this?
    Oil tanks are made out of plastic which leaches chemicals into the water when it comes into contact with it. Therefor you must use a variety of plastic which does not react with water. If you use an oil tank and drink the harvested water, you will drink the chemicals as well- some act like hormones....A tank certified for potable water gives you water without the chemicals.
    Our water comes from the following roofs:
    Galvanized corrugated
    Concrete tiles
    Clearlight/toughlight corrugated
    Fibre cement slates
    System inplace for 25 years- no problem with anything.
    I do not know anything about the PVC coat-sorry

Some great stuff 3 pages into this thread. Welll done lads.

Just another big advantage: NO lime deposits in our (copper) pipes. No lime in rainwater.No corrosion from chloride or floride.
    Compare that to your own pipes....
    Actually you can get extremely cheap water if you use it ONLY for the flushing of the toilet. Any container will do. Connected under the gutter with a downpipe to the toilet- and you do not even have to use electricity for a pump. You save cleaning the barrel or gutter- it can be any water to flush the toilet.This should be realatively inexpensive to create and run and you will save paying for public water.
    One problem: If Hogan comes along with a flat rate and you always stay in this parameter. You will save nothing- you still have to pay the minimum charge. On top of that you had the costs,etc. to install your toilet water system....

A lot of people used to collect rainwater to wash their hair with - I believe it's softer and makes you hair all lovely.

My pussy always drinks it in preference to tap water when it puddles in the garden too.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    A lot of people used to collect rainwater to wash their hair with - I believe it's softer and makes you hair all lovely.
    It is true. I vouch for it.Unfortunately this is getting less and less important for me- the hair is slowly saying good-bye. Looking at your new avatar picture I see my future...
    And you need much less washing powder for the washing machine as well
    Last edited by olli rehn; 5th May 2012 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post

My pussy always drinks it in preference to tap water when it puddles in the garden too.
    Well if the argument for for rain water is full heads of hair everywhere, I say ban it straight away.
    Us baldies will not be marginalised...

There seems to be a number of options out there.

From the inexpensive to the expensive.

Rainwater Harvesting System Ireland, Rainman - Irish distribution

Rain Harvesting Ireland

Rainwater Harvesting Sysyems - Easy installation from Tanks.ie in Ireland

Not promoting anyone in particular.

I'm sure there are others.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment