Register to Comment
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 425051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

So now the Irish Times has it that it's 39 per annum over 20 years.

Households face 39 charge for 20 years on water meters - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 17, 2012

We need some perspective on this number. Yes it's a new charge. But it's also about what you'd pay on one airline ticket tax, and far less than ticket tax for a long haul journey. It's much less than yearly outlay on VAT, and similar to the nuisance charges and taxes on credit cards. It's also way less than we're paying for the Seanie bonds. In total of course all this is painful. As an additional amount as a price for water, which ain't free to pipe to households, it's not terrible.
    Last edited by Frank Galton; 17th April 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: clarified sentence
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galton View Post
    So now the Irish Times has it that it's €39 per annum over 20 years.

Households face €39 charge for 20 years on water meters - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 17, 2012

We need some perspective on this number. Yes it's a new charge. But it's also about what you'd pay on one airline ticket tax, and far less than ticket tax for a long haul journey. It's much less than yearly outlay on VAT, and similar to the nuisance charges and taxes on credit cards. It's also way less than we're paying for the Seanie bonds. In total of course all this is painful. As an additional amount as a price for water, which ain't free to pipe to households, it's not terrible.
    780 euro a meter. Does it seed the clouds for rain if it runs dry?

Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post
    780 euro a meter. Does it seed the clouds for rain if it runs dry?
    Ah now , be fair. Theres interest accruing on the money that the government is generously 'lending' to you.
    100% interest over twenty years is a fair deal surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bun View Post
    Ah now , be fair. Theres interest accruing on the money that the government is generously 'lending' to you.
    100% interest over twenty years is a fair deal surely?
    Sounds great. I wonder what the lifespan of the meter they 'give' me is?

Mass revolt threat over water charges after household tax - National News - Independent.ie

It would seem that the people of our ireland are NOT in the mood to pay even more tax for something we all need to live...water.

Quote: "People understand that these combined taxes will quickly go to €1,000 and beyond," said Mr Higgins. They simply cannot afford it. It's a further destruction of the potential in the economy, intensifying austerity and creating more economic problems.
    People are absolutely right to oppose it and the campaign will intensify."

Quote Originally Posted by RepublicOfCorruption View Post
    Oops! Sorry for the double post. Ok here I go...

I moved to Ireland last year, moving in with my partner. I'm in the South East. Since moving here, I have set up my own business which has came on in leaps and bounds, and everything has been great. I work from home, and live in a pretty rural area. A few weeks ago, me and my partner decided to treat ourselves and have had lots of building work done to our property (Privately owned) to tidy it up a little. The most important part was out the front. Due to me working from home, I am constantly having parts delivered to the house. Therefore, we spent €5000 on having some parking space added to the front and a new wall.

I was working today, and had a van pull up. He started asking numerous questions about the business, saying that I would have to have a water meter fitted. I shown him around the work area, stating there is nothing in there that uses water and that water is not needed for my area of work (Which it isn't). Despite this, he still insists we need one fitting, and that to do so, he will have to tear up the new concrete I have just had laid down, to fit the meter. Obviously, I am rather annoyed about this. I did not spend €5000 euro on concrete, only for it to be teared up again. Of course, they have said they will put the concrete back, but it will look patchy and horrible compared to nice and smooth like it does now.

What I was wondering is whether I can refuse or contest to a water meter being fitted. I would just like to clarify that I have no issue paying for water if everyone else is. It's just that I feel like I'm being picked on for having my own business, despite me using no water. Me and my partner believe that someone may have reported us, as they kept on asking whether he do car valeting or use a jetwash. We found this very strange, as why would they ask such a specific question? It's true that I do use my jetwash to wash our own vehicles once a week, but I certainly don't do any valeting! I just look after our cars.

So, do I have any legroom on this, or shall I prepare to be shafted? We have 3 vehicles here. If they were positioned where they would need to work, and I had "lost" the keys, would they be allowed to move the vehicles by force?

I tried ringing them, but it's a waste of time. You just get passed from pillar to post.

Thanks guys.
    Hi,

Yes the local authority can and will install a water meter at any premises that is used for business, it has been E.U. law for a long time.

If I were you I would be more concerned at the next visits which may be from the rates department, another could be from the planning department if you do not have permission to use the building for business.

Don't panic, a little planning could help you avoid a lot of problems, to be honest this should have been done before you added any buildings or made major changes to the front of your property.

I suggest that you consult with a local architect to establish exactly where you stand with regards to change of use from a private dwelling to a business premises, it may be possible to isolate the buildings used for your business and with a little help from your county enterprise board secure retention for the new buildings.

As far as I recall you are allowed to use one room in your home for an office / business purposes, but I am not an expert, you may also be able to arrange a seperate mains supply to be installed in the building you are using for business.

There are times when a little knowledge can be dangerous and this is one of those times which is why I suggest you talk to a local architect as they generally know what the local authority finds acceptable, you may be in substantial compliance with the plan for where you live.

Forgot to mention:

Do not argue with the Gent from the local authority he is doing his job, confronting people is not always a nice part of any job, the easier you make his job the more inclined he will be to try and help you find a solution.

I know because I had a similar situation over a water meter to a commercial premises, I could have made their job more difficult but we found a solution together, making a mans job harder and he can have a long memory and share his experience of dealing with you among other departments.

If by any chance your meeting was any less than cordial it might be no harm to telephone him and explain that he caught you by surprise, he may have a solution that will satisfy both of you.
    Last edited by selfemployed; 17th April 2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: adding last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by RepublicOfCorruption View Post
    Oops! Sorry for the double post. Ok here I go...

I moved to Ireland last year, moving in with my partner. I'm in the South East. Since moving here, I have set up my own business which has came on in leaps and bounds, and everything has been great. I work from home, and live in a pretty rural area. A few weeks ago, me and my partner decided to treat ourselves and have had lots of building work done to our property (Privately owned) to tidy it up a little. The most important part was out the front. Due to me working from home, I am constantly having parts delivered to the house. Therefore, we spent 5000 on having some parking space added to the front and a new wall.

I was working today, and had a van pull up. He started asking numerous questions about the business, saying that I would have to have a water meter fitted. I shown him around the work area, stating there is nothing in there that uses water and that water is not needed for my area of work (Which it isn't). Despite this, he still insists we need one fitting, and that to do so, he will have to tear up the new concrete I have just had laid down, to fit the meter. Obviously, I am rather annoyed about this. I did not spend 5000 euro on concrete, only for it to be teared up again. Of course, they have said they will put the concrete back, but it will look patchy and horrible compared to nice and smooth like it does now.

What I was wondering is whether I can refuse or contest to a water meter being fitted. I would just like to clarify that I have no issue paying for water if everyone else is. It's just that I feel like I'm being picked on for having my own business, despite me using no water. Me and my partner believe that someone may have reported us, as they kept on asking whether he do car valeting or use a jetwash. We found this very strange, as why would they ask such a specific question? It's true that I do use my jetwash to wash our own vehicles once a week, but I certainly don't do any valeting! I just look after our cars.

So, do I have any legroom on this, or shall I prepare to be shafted? We have 3 vehicles here. If they were positioned where they would need to work, and I had "lost" the keys, would they be allowed to move the vehicles by force?

I tried ringing them, but it's a waste of time. You just get passed from pillar to post.

Thanks guys.
    This does sound rather suspicious. However, if you do really think he was genuine then maybe this may help:

(I am not sure if this Act has been amended but it may help if you quote it to him and gauge his reaction)

(4) Before any person enters on any land under this section for a purpose other than the carrying out of urgent repairs, the sanitary authority on whose authority such entry is proposed to be made shall either obtain the consent (in the case of occupied land) of the occupier or (in the case of unoccupied land) the owner or shall cause not less than fourteen days' notice in writing of the intention to make such entry to be given to such occupier or such owner (as the case may be).

(5) Any person to whom a notice of intention to enter on land has been given under the next preceding sub-section of this section may, not later than fourteen days after the giving of such notice, apply to the justice of the District Court having jurisdiction in the district in which such land is situate, on notice to the sanitary authority by whom or on whose behalf such notice was given, for an order prohibiting the said entry on such land, and, upon the hearing of such application, such justice may, if he so thinks proper, either wholly prohibit such entry on such land or specify conditions to be observed by the person making such entry.
    Water Supplies Act, 1942, Section 17

You won't own your water meter. No chance of that happening.
    Then we ain't paying for it, simples!

RTE reporting this morning the meters will cost 800 euro. Yes folks that's 800 euro.

Water meters to cost householders €40 a year over 20 years - reports - RT News

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Lets do away with ALL HOUSEHOLD taxes and increase USC and top rate of tax.

Lets cut welfare by 5%

Everyone will be happy then.
    Reducing the already impossible to survive on €188 per week to €178.60 will result in even those, like myself, who would never consider seeking exceptional needs payments from Community Welfare Officers being forced to go that route or have our gas and electricity cut off.

Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 425051525354 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment