Register to Comment
Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 61 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalCandy View Post
    Eamon Gilmore said he'd protect universal third level education
    Eamon Gilmore said water charges were a 'red line issue' on labour going into coalition
    Eamon Gilmore said he was a social democrat
    Eamon Gilmore says lots of things....

Eamon Gilmore says lots of things he doens' tmean..
    He's good at talking through his orifices simultaneously to be sure
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    Instead of spending €1billion on buying and installing the meters spend it on repairing the network - it would cost approx €2billion to replace (note replace -not repair) the entire national network. Doing so would create thousands of jobs and would save an estimated €250million per annum in the cost of treating the water leaking from the pipes into the ground. Retrofitting every house in the country to use greywater would cost a further €500million and create thousands of more jobs - with an end result of saving another €150million a year in flushing treated water down the toilet. The entire project would pay for itself in less than 10 years with an ongoing saving of up to €400million a year to the state finances after that.

Will the current crop of gombeen politicians who make up our government do this - like hell they will. They will do what their puppet masters tell them - start charging for water as a prelude to privatisation and massive profits for multinationals who will then put ministers on the board of the water company when they get booted out by the electorate and and who will end up pocketing €1million a year in directors fees (e.g. Dick Spring and eircom - and it was only one of many companies that he was given a directorship of).
    Are you for real? A source for the costing of €2 billion if you don't mind because to be honest it sounds like a bullsh*t figure plucked out of thin air. It would cost multiples of that and cause massive disruption in the process.

Plus replacing the entire water distribution network would probably take 20 years or so to do.

[QUOTE=punchdrunk;5192674]No decision has been taken on the level of water charges. This was confirmed by Eamon Gilmore on RTE radio today ay lunchtime. Newspaper speculation is not fact[/QUOTE

Well, they're the only people in Ireland who investigate anything, so sometimes their speculation is bloody close...And how much can you believe any of today's politicians who says anything on RTE, at lunchtime or any other time!

Frontline y'all,

Comedy panel!!!!!!

I posted this in error over on the provisional water meter thread -
    I wonder what the consequences of paying for a water meter might be: Would I be responsible for its maintenance and accuracy? Can I take it with me if I move? Why would I own my water meter and not my electricity or gas meter?

It seems to be common knowledge (backed up by reports) that the water loss from the Irish water system is between 28 and 48%. In Donegal it is known that 9 million IS OWED to Donegal County Council from COMMERCIAL WATER USERS who have meters installed. What they have done, are doing, or are going to do to collect it I do not know. I do not know, either, who they are, but can presume they are farmers, small businesses, garages, grant-fuelled now belly-up 'enterprises', and the like, and probably include a lot of voters. So what about that? Nine Million Euros is a lot of money and would pay for a lot of infrastructure, might even do a park or build a library. Isn't that what they're proposing to do with this sort of money? Bullshlt.

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I wonder what the consequences of paying for a water meter might be: Would I be responsible for its maintenance and accuracy? Can I take it with me if I move? Why would I own my water meter and not my electricity or gas meter?
    You won't own your water meter. No chance of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    You pay for your electricity meter and a contribution towards it's installation - and you don't own it. Nor can you take it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
    The installation is being carried out by a private British company thus no profit for Ireland.

They couldnt get 50% of the populaiton to stump up 100 for a the household charge, good luck with the New household charge and water charges for next year!
    The loan will go to the new water company not the company who gets the tender.

You can Bank on the money currently allocated to provide this service will this be put to another use.

We pay our taxes to cover services not to pay for fat & foolishness .

Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 61 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment