Register to Comment
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

And still so many people have mobile phones and microwaves.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by General Mayhem View Post
    And still so many people have mobile phones and microwaves.
    Deep stuff, dude, really deep.

We respectfully ask all activists, bloggers, and other journalists to immediately remove all of these documents and any quotations taken from them, especially the fake “climate strategy” memo and any quotations from the same, from their blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.

The individuals who have commented so far on these documents did not wait for Heartland to confirm or deny the authenticity of the documents. We believe their actions constitute civil and possibly criminal offenses for which we plan to pursue charges and collect payment for damages, including damages to our reputation. We ask them in particular to immediately remove these documents and all statements about them from the blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.
    Considering the well respected Heartland Institute has its good name to keep, I'm going to e mail Heartland with all the links our right honourable paid blogger here OTJ has posted.

One has to protect ones good name after all.

In the meantime Politics.ie should just delete any material from OTJ which could be considered libellous. How about starting by deleting this thread?

Bye Bye OTJ.

We respectfully ask all activists, bloggers, and other journalists to immediately remove all of these documents and any quotations taken from them, especially the fake “climate strategy” memo and any quotations from the same, from their blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.

The individuals who have commented so far on these documents did not wait for Heartland to confirm or deny the authenticity of the documents. We believe their actions constitute civil and possibly criminal offenses for which we plan to pursue charges and collect payment for damages, including damages to our reputation. We ask them in particular to immediately remove these documents and all statements about them from the blogs, Web sites, and publications, and to publish retractions.
    Do you have link for that quote ? Cheers .

Quote Originally Posted by rash mulligan View Post
    Do you have link for that quote ? Cheers .
    Heartland Institute Responds to Stolen and Fake Documents | Heartland Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny's Soldier View Post
    Considering the well respected Heartland Institute has its good name to keep, I'm going to e mail Heartland with all the links our right honourable paid blogger here OTJ has posted.

One has to protect ones good name after all.

In the meantime Politics.ie should just delete any material from OTJ which could be considered libellous. How about starting by deleting this thread?

Bye Bye OTJ.
    Hey, roll up and read some really libellous stuff, quick before free speech is abridged by science denialists!

Key points from the documents:
    ■Heartland plans to create a “Global Warming Curriculum for K-12 Schools” that “isn’t alarmist or overtly political”, and plans to pay Dr David Wojick $25,000 a quarter to develop the materials.
    ■Heartland is planning to fund Fred Singer’s Not the IPCC project to the tune of $1.5 million over 2010-13, and is budgeting monthly payments of $11,600 to Craig Idso, $5,000 to Singer and $1,667 to Bob Carter during 2012.
    ■Anthony Watts (of µWatts fame) is being funded to the tune of $88,000 to develop a web site featuring US temperature data.
    ■Current funders include tobacco companies, fossil fuel interests, and even Microsoft
    Well, if this is libellous then p.ie will be in the dock with the BBC, the Guardian, the Economist , Atlantic and Mother Jones.

BBC News - Openness: A Heartland-warming tale

Leaked Heartland Institute documents pull back curtain on climate scepticism | Leo Hickman | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Climate-change scepticism: Trouble in the Heartland | The Economist

Leaked Docs From Heartland Institute Cause a Stir—but Is One a Fake? - Megan McArdle - National - The Atlantic

Internal Heartland Institute Email Blasts "Lamestream Media" for Climate Leak | Mother Jones

I suppose the real problem isn't how much they spend on threatening people with law suits but the fact that their reputation was so tarnished so quickly on liberal and conservative news websites.

It show that they are largely untrusted by anyone except for a handful of anti-science ideologues.

It doesn't bode well for whatever strategy they have when corporate donors are lining up to distance themselves from the organisations views and stance on climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by PAD1OH View Post
    I suppose the real problem isn't how much they spend on threatening people with la suits but the fact that their reputation was so tarnished so quickly on liberal and conservative news websites.

It show that they are largely untrusted by anyone except for a handful of anti-science ideologues.
    I think most people, who have an interest in climate science and who have been watching the news stories unfold over the years, are not in the least bit surprised.

At least now we have the evidence, and anything that emanates from the Heartland Institute should be automatically discredited.

While the Cato Institute and a few others are at the same game of taking money and supplying propaganda, the Heartland Institute was the main fountainhead of denialist obfuscation. Here is an outline of their process that went the rounds a few years ago:

I suspect (but cannot prove) that some Irish figures who write or speak occasionally on climate change are on a Heartland Institute e-mail distribution of "talking points". I mean ones like Kevin Myers and Ruth Dudley Edwards, whose politics would also be of the same stripe. Clearly, others like Anthony Watts and his website are part of the same nexus of anti-science propaganda.

I hope more and more people become familiar with the activities of the Heartland Institute, which is basically in the lobbying and propaganda game, and realise the difference between an ideologicial "party line" and science.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    I think most people, who have an interest in climate science and who have been watching the news stories unfold over the years, are not in the least bit surprised.
    yea I'm not surprised but I am totally open to be shown to be wrong if we see accurate and independently verified evidence - i.e. email logs etc.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment