Register to Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    jcdf jcdf is offline
    jcdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,618

    Volcanoes are cool! I wish we had a volcano here in Ireland.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Norman Bates Norman Bates is offline
    Norman Bates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,634

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdf View Post
    Volcanoes are cool! I wish we had a volcano here in Ireland.
    Hot springs eternal.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    hiding behind a poster hiding behind a poster is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    60,713

    Quote Originally Posted by reknaw View Post
    All volcanoes are unpredictable, but I'm not unduly worried that this one will produce enough volcanic ash to disrupt air traffic other than locally. The eruption is taking place under a thick sheet of ice, which will capture most of the ash and allow only a part of it to rise in a plume. What is a bigger danger is that huge volumes of meltwaters will rush south to the sea and destroy the coastal road there, something that has happened several times in the past. But that is a problem that will affect only Iceland.
    The other issue is the wind direction. If its from the prevailing south-westerly direction, then any ash plume will blow up towards the Arctic and North Pole, and won't disrupt air traffic up there.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    vid vid is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    594

    According to this report , the ash cloud is set to reach Scotland on Tuesday.Time to start making alternative travel plans I think.
    Ash cloud from Icelandic volcano could hit Scotland by midday Tuesday - Telegraph
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    hiding behind a poster hiding behind a poster is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    60,713

    Quote Originally Posted by vid View Post
    According to this report , the ash cloud is set to reach Scotland on Tuesday.Time to start making alternative travel plans I think.
    Ash cloud from Icelandic volcano could hit Scotland by midday Tuesday - Telegraph
    It doesn't say that its "set to reach Scotland", it says that it could. There's a huge, huge difference.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    kalipa kalipa is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,740

    Can anyone make sense of these ash graphs for today and tomorrow please. I'm flying on Wednesday and hope I can get away.

    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1306151334.png
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    reknaw reknaw is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,340

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdf View Post
    Volcanoes are cool! I wish we had a volcano here in Ireland.
    They're OK, I suppose, as long as they stay cool, but become a bit of a problem when they get too hot and explode.

    Where in Ireland would you like there to be one? And where do you live?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    TommyO'Brien TommyO'Brien is offline
    TommyO'Brien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19,377

    Quote Originally Posted by kalipa View Post
    Can anyone make sense of these ash graphs for today and tomorrow please. I'm flying on Wednesday and hope I can get away.

    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...1306151334.png
    Going by those ash graphs, you may not be flying on Wednesday.

    (Saw a guy on Twitter say that he cancelled his first holiday because of a family illness. His second attempt was ruined by the ash cloud last year as he could not fly. He abandoned holiday plans until late last year, only to have to cancel them because of a death in the family. So he cancelled his holiday plans altogether and decided to go on a really big holiday in 2011. And when is he due to fly out, for his fourth attempt? Tomorrow evening!!! Zeech. Talk about unlucky.)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    kalipa kalipa is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,740

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Going by those ash graphs, you may not be flying on Wednesday.

    (Saw a guy on Twitter say that he cancelled his first holiday because of a family illness. His second attempt was ruined by the ash cloud last year as he could not fly. He abandoned holiday plans until late last year, only to have to cancel them because of a death in the family. So he cancelled his holiday plans altogether and decided to go on a really big holiday in 2011. And when is he due to fly out, for his fourth attempt? Tomorrow evening!!! Zeech. Talk about unlucky.)
    Thanks Tommy. Oh that poor man !!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    zavi13 zavi13 is offline
    zavi13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,760

    Vulcan must be angry! Maybe it's all the attention that crank in California got for his 'Rapture' scam? Here's a god with firepower!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment