Register to Comment
Page 76 of 813 FirstFirst ... 26 667475767778 86 126 176 576 ... LastLast
Like Tree2901Likes

Irish Tourism provide quite a nice video.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Through the window of the Waterside hotel at Donabate tonight. Our 52nd wedding Anniversary.

Yesterday evening at Donabate overlooking Howth head. The view from the nearby beachfront hotel is one of the best on the East coast. It has hardly changed since we first saw it in the mid 1960s.

Lambey Island from Donabate in the evening. Soon to become a public park.....so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Through the window of the Waterside hotel at Donabate tonight. Our 52nd wedding Anniversary.

Congratulations on your anniversary, that is some achievement, hope you had a wonderful evening and best wishes for the next 52.

Meanwhie when Discovering Ireland we often noticed how cold some B&B houses were..even in the summer and especially near Atlantic coasts.
    Okay the people running them are accustomed to lower temperatures and they are in business.

Nevertheless some of us with poor circulation and living in well heated rooms would prefer a warmer welcome whenever possible.

Maybe that's how I came to think of the candle-powered stove? Necessity being, the mother of invention.
    Well Maurice - update on that candle heating!! We'll have to blame the Atlantic coast maybe as I live on it, but I purchased a couple of bags of those long-burning tea candles and, as instructed, cleared out the stove, built up a stand for them and left seven of them burning away. Nice as they were to look at through the glass door, after three or four hours, the heat on the top of the stove was not a lot. Then, I fell asleep watching Big Brother! Awoke after midnight, candles still lit within. I put my hand on top of the little hotplate on top of the stove. By this stage, some eight hours after lighting the candles, there was a pleasant warmth on the hotplate -but nothing anywhere else - not enough to keep the teapot warm though. Pipe to the hot water cylinder had no detectable warmth. Surprisingly, the candles were not affected by closing or opening the air vent on the stove. When burning wood or turf, the effect of letting air circulate or not is imperative to the heat generated. Went to bed. By morning all candles were extinguished and stove was cold. Back to the drawing board!

junius, Well our stove is lovely and warm with hot water in the kettles using the seven ten hour candles.

Now with 15 ten hour candles in the bottom of the stove the stove it is too hot to touch. Our living room a balmy 78 farenheit.

I'll post a picture of the candles in a minute or two.

Meanwhile an old cooker in the shed has become a candle powered clothes dryer.

A guy named Fowler in South Africa did a Masters degree thesis on wax fueled stove some years ago I was recently informed. A version to be on the market soon? I have a link.
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 27th September 2011 at 08:30 PM.

junius, Well our stove is lovely and warm with hot water in the kettles using the seven ten hour candles.

Now with 15 ten hour candles in the bottom of the stove the stove it is too hot to touch. Our living room a balmy 78 farenheit.

I'll post a picture of the candles in a minute or two.

Meanwhile an old cooker in the shed has become a candle powered clothes dryer.

A guy named Fowler in South Africa did a Masters degree thesis on wax fueled stove some years ago I was recently informed. A version to be on the market soon? I have a link.
    Will keep experimenting Maurice. I'm a bit like that! My candles were scented ones but I felt that all their scent and their warmth just went up the chimney. Maybe blocking it up a bit more might work better. Will try again!

Welcome to Gatt-Gen | Gatt-Gen Not exactly what I have in mind but you get the idea.

junius, I'm now getting advice from experts on stoves and wax fuel from around the world. Don't give up too easily trial and error is the name of the game.

Have you got a baffle inside your stove? A metal plate that stops the heat going directly up the chimney.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment