Register to Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The Rahenyite View Post
    It's a sham of an institution. I wish it was abolished in 2013. An electorate system where the very few can vote.
    I voted to abolish it in 2013 unfortunately the majority voted to keep it for reasons unknown and now we're stuck with it.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by sadmal View Post
    I voted to abolish it in 2013 unfortunately the majority voted to keep it for reasons unknown and now we're stuck with it.
    People turned it into an anti-government vote and also saw it as a power grab by the then cabinet. Maybe another vote will occur in the future.

Speaking of reform there was a bill (I think it was late 70s or 80s) to give votes to all graduates but it was never enacted.
    Last edited by The Rahenyite; 16th April 2018 at 10:05 PM.

https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/fi...ns-seanad-bid/
    Kerry’s Cllr Bobby O’Connell has texted all party TDs and senators with a message announcing his withdrawal
    why he even enter to block somebody else entering?
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 19th April 2018 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    Castleisland was effectively "terra nullius" during the last GE in Kerry - no party had a candidate based in that geographic district, so the Healy-Raes hoovered up the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Breanainn View Post
    Castleisland was effectively "terra nullius" during the last GE in Kerry - no party had a candidate based in that geographic district, so the Healy-Raes hoovered up the votes.
    and does getting yourself nominated for the seanad and then withdrawing get you more votes from the public? who have hardly seen this covered

http://www.highlandradio.com/2018/04...ireland-blaney
    Mr Blaney is contesting the Seanad by-election for Fianna Fail, saying that if elected as a senator, he will not contest the next Donegal Dail selection convention.
    do we believe him?

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/...anad-seat.html
    Mr. Blaney said that while he is taking nothing for granted, should he be elected, his return to politics will focus on obtaining more infrastructural investment for Donegal.
    is that related to agriculture?

Quote Originally Posted by midlander12 View Post
    Yawn - it's the Seanad, no one cares!
    You cared enough to post!
    Why?

Sinn Féin to back Ian Marshall in Seanad by-election – McDonald http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/49133
    Sinn Féin President Mary Lou McDonald TD has this evening announced that Sinn Féin will support the candidacy of Ian Marshall in the upcoming Seanad by-election.Teachta McDonald said:“I am pleased to confirm that Sinn Féin will be supporting Ian Marshall in the upcoming Seanad by-election.“I have met with Ian on a number of occasions in recent weeks and I have been impressed by his views on Brexit and the potential impact Brexit will have on the island, north and south. “I believe Ian will be a strong Independent voice in the Seanad; providing an anti-Brexit unionist perspective, which is a welcome addition to the political discourse surrounding the issue in the Oireachtas. Brexit affects people from all backgrounds and ways of life; nationalist, unionists and everyone in between.“From his time as a farmer, as President of the Ulster Farmers Union, and his current position at Queens University, Ian is particularly qualified and experienced to advocate on behalf of farmers and the Agri-sector; which faces massive challenges in the time ahead.“Ian is a unionist. I am an Irish Republican. As I have stated repeatedly, the Ireland I want to see is one where one can comfortably be Irish or British, both or neither. I believe Ian can bring a new and interesting voice to the discussion surrounding a New Ireland.“I want to wish him the very best of luck when the votes are counted on Friday.”
    Leo and Lou in lockstep, (he had the votes anyway)

Ian Marshall leaflet https://irishelectionliterature.com/...ultural-panel/
    why bother he's a shoe in

SF supporting a national subversive for the seanad.

SAD!

Time for SF to disband. Only one REPUBLICAN party in Ireland.

Dev would be turning in his grave.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment