Register to Comment
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 160
Like Tree51Likes
  1. #21
    Mushroom Mushroom is offline
    Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16,672

    Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    I suppose we should be grateful that the demented Ger spends so much time on p.ie, every minute spent here is a minute during which some poor unfortunate patient is spared her "care".

    Yep - and just think of all the unborn babies' lives that she could be saving if she didn't waste so much of her 'leisure' time in here writing nonsense. She could be down at Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport with her rosary beads in one hand and her foetus detecting sniffer dog in the other, checking out the cream of Irish womanhood as they pass through the security gates.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40,525

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    So the Citizens Assembly recently covered the 50/50 media requirement coming up to a referendum.

    The "experts" invited to what imo was a fit up argued we don't need this 50/50 coverage.

    In a cut and paste like decsion the BAI have gone with the CA.

    "At a briefing today on its guidelines on referendum coverage the BAI said that fairness objectivity and impartiality can be achieved by including interests from both sides of the debate.

    There is no obligation to automatically balance each contribution with an opposing contribution as fairness can be achieved in a number of ways including presenter input, the make up of audience, the structure of the programme as well as other means, the BAI said."

    https://www.rte.ie/amp/947067/

    Unconstitutional I believe. See the Coughlan Judgement.

    It starts with the 8th amendment referendum.
    The McKenna judgment was about spending of public monies during a referendum. I could be wrong but it did not mention air time. It could be argued RTE being the recipient of public money which we are forced to pay would have to adhere to 50/50 but not sure about commercial stations.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    ger12 ger12 is offline
    ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,084

    Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    You got your arse handed to you on this so started a thread?

    This was a clarifying ruling after silly things like RTE going back to a speaker for 6 seconds to mathematically balance all time. Balance is broader than RTE interpreted it.

    Also pointed out to you this has her haw to do with the constitution. It's the 1998 act.
    "The Supreme Court has upheld a High Court judgement that RTÉ acted unfairly in the allocation of free and unchallenged airtime to the 'Yes' and 'No' sides of the debate in the 1995 Divorce Referendum. The High Court action was taken by Trinity College lecturer Anthony Coughlan. He challenged RTÉ's treatment of the referendum and the decision of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission to dismiss his complaints."

    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/5300/
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40,525

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I hope they have a lot of leeway, and that the requirement to be fair, balanced and objective is not mistaken for an imagined duty to provide a platform for lies and other obvious untruths, which is very clearly what has happened in a number of referenda in the past.
    hmmmmm..........who is telling the truth and who is not is a very very grey area.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    ger12 ger12 is offline
    ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,084

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    The McKenna judgment was about spending of public monies during a referendum. I could be wrong but it did not mention air time. It could be argued RTE being the recipient of public money which we are forced to pay would have to adhere to 50/50 but not sure about commercial stations.
    As you can see from the post you posted, I'd changed it to Coughlan.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Clanrickard Clanrickard is offline
    Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    40,525

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    "The Supreme Court has upheld a High Court judgement that RTÉ acted unfairly in the allocation of free and unchallenged airtime to the 'Yes' and 'No' sides of the debate in the 1995 Divorce Referendum. The High Court action was taken by Trinity College lecturer Anthony Coughlan. He challenged RTÉ's treatment of the referendum and the decision of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission to dismiss his complaints."

    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/5300/
    Thanks for that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    ger12 ger12 is offline
    ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,084

    Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Can we just bar ger from starting threads til the end of May.

    How many abortion threads do we need.
    This is far wider than the next referendum.

    It will set the tone for every referendum
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20,389

    Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    I suppose we should be grateful that the demented Ger spends so much time on p.ie, every minute spent here is a minute during which some poor unfortunate patient is spared her "care".
    I think she means well. She is just spending too long with the wingnuts and caught fleas.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    The_SR The_SR is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20,389

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    "The Supreme Court has upheld a High Court judgement that RTÉ acted unfairly in the allocation of free and unchallenged airtime to the 'Yes' and 'No' sides of the debate in the 1995 Divorce Referendum. The High Court action was taken by Trinity College lecturer Anthony Coughlan. He challenged RTÉ's treatment of the referendum and the decision of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission to dismiss his complaints."

    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/5300/
    I know all this...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    ger12 ger12 is offline
    ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,084

    Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    I know all this...
    Equal air time is the simplest and safest way to implement that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment