Register to Comment
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    So the Citizens Assembly recently covered the 50/50 media requirement coming up to a referendum.

The "experts" invited to what imo was a fit up argued we don't need this 50/50 coverage.

In a cut and paste like decsion the BAI have gone with the CA.

"At a briefing today on its guidelines on referendum coverage the BAI said that fairness objectivity and impartiality can be achieved by including interests from both sides of the debate.

There is no obligation to automatically balance each contribution with an opposing contribution as fairness can be achieved in a number of ways including presenter input, the make up of audience, the structure of the programme as well as other means, the BAI said."

https://www.rte.ie/amp/947067/

Unconstitutional I believe.

It starts with the 8th amendment referendum.
    Which clause in the constitution has been broken?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    You can be a tiny minority in the Dail but still be in a majority in a referendum result.
    One of the dissenting voices to the Kenna ruling was if we were doing the GFA now. Where do you find 50% of the chat against it?

Abortion has people of good conscience on both sides but some referenda don't and won't.
    Last edited by The_SR; 13th March 2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    I'm not sure it even goes that far.

We both have a minute. You go 55 seconds. I go 65. The go back to you for 10. You look blankly at the camera. It happened and was to pedantic. The BAI are allowing RTE and others to use a bit of cop.

And it still has nothing to do with the constitution.
    I hope you're right about it having no problem with the constitution. And I hope you're wrong about it not going as far as to cease the free and pointless air time that McKenna has given to flakes.

My impression from the arse end of the piece on SOR was that it would mean some radically new way of providing balance and objectivity. I could be wrong, especially since I only heard the end of the segment.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I hope you're right about it having no problem with the constitution. And I hope you're wrong about it not going as far as to cease the free and pointless air time that McKenna has given to flakes.

My impression from the arse end of the piece on SOR was that it would mean some radically new way of providing balance and objectivity. I could be wrong, especially since I only heard the end of the segment.
    I think of more relevance to the wingnuts is not their right to be heard, which I support, it's where the specific nutters are found.

I read this as balance doesn't have to be the same airtime to the second for either side and following a piece up directly with a rebuttal. Editors and producers have a bit of leeway.

You can be a tiny minority in the Dail but still be in a majority in a referendum result.
    I know.

I think of more relevance to the wingnuts is not their right to be heard, which I support, it's where the specific nutters are found.

I read this as balance doesn't have to be the same airtime to the second for either side and following a piece up directly with a rebuttal. Editors and producers have a bit of leeway.
    I hope they have a lot of leeway, and that the requirement to be fair, balanced and objective is not mistaken for an imagined duty to provide a platform for lies and other obvious untruths, which is very clearly what has happened in a number of referenda in the past.

You got your arse handed to you on this so started a thread?

This was a clarifying ruling after silly things like RTE going back to a speaker for 6 seconds to mathematically balance all time. Balance is broader than RTE interpreted it.

Also pointed out to you this has her haw to do with the constitution. It's the 1998 act.
    I suppose we should be grateful that the demented Ger spends so much time on p.ie, every minute spent here is a minute during which some poor unfortunate patient is spared her "care".

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I hope they have a lot of leeway, and that the requirement to be fair, balanced and objective is not mistaken for an imagined duty to provide a platform for lies and other obvious untruths, which is very clearly what has happened in a number of referenda in the past.
    Fingers crossed. But the fact ger is lying about this already doesn't fill me with confidence.

It's more about the Coughlan judgement.
    It's both.

The Coughlan Judgement is central but so also is the McKenna Judgement in that the public broadcasters and the apparatus of the 'airwaves' are public assets that the Government cannot leverage to sway a vote in a particular direction.
    Last edited by ger12; 13th March 2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    My mistake.

You're right.
    Next question. Which bit of the constitution is it breaching?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment