Register to Comment
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Having said he was only going to do one term, Michael D should live up to his word and step down.
    Do you seriously think that would happen?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by riker1969 View Post
    The role of the President is not to embarrass us and shake a few hands. Unless we elect a traveller-which would be significant-it really doesnt matter anymore who we elect. Personally, Im not going to bother my arse voting in a Presidential election unless I think a Fianna fallure has a chance of being elected -then I will only vote to ensure that tool is not elected.
    Once in a blue moon, the state requires the president to be more than just a photo subject or a hand-shaker.
    Think Hillary the night Lenihan was instructed by Haughey to ring the aras or the referral by O'Dalaigh of an anti-terrorism bill to the supreme court.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Presidential elections tend to focus on the individual rather than the party.
    Of course there are people who will through party lines, but thankfully there's enough evidence to show it's not a deciding factor.
    With Labour being eradicated as a mainstream political party, the old Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber dynamic of an FF/FG president was a strong probability. A non-party candidate who could get serious backing would screw that up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Do you seriously think that would happen?
    I think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    I know there has been mention of next year's Presidential elections and am aware that O'Higgins as the one-term incumbent may run for a second term of office.

Recently when there was a speculative thread about some sofa-bound TV presenter my thoughts turned away from the theoretical candidates who have only a recognisability factor via the gogglebox and I began to go through a list of potential candidates in my mind.

It occurred to me that Nessa Childers has the political background and stature to handle the office of President and I believe she may be a good candidate. She has not signalled any intention as yet but the more I think about it the more I like it.

What other political representatives have made three principled stands on some of the issues that have exercised Irish politics over the last ten to twenty years?

Three honourable and notable mentions in political dispatches;

(1) 'In November 2011 she refused to support the Irish Government's nominee to the European Court of Auditors, Kevin Cardiff who was head of the Financial Services Division of the Department of Finance official. Childers said she had concerns about his suitability given the uncertainty around his role in the Irish Bank Guarantee and a recent serious error in the calculation of the Irish public finances.

(2) Childers campaigned unsuccessfully to have former Fianna Fáil TD and European Commissioner Pádraig Flynn stripped of his Commission pension after the Mahon Tribunal found him to have received corrupt payments.

(3) She resigned from the Parliamentary Labour Party on 5 April 2013, saying "..I no longer want to support a Government that is actually hurting people". She resigned from the Labour Party itself in July 2013.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nessa_Childers

That looks a pretty healthy CV in itself in comparison to most Irish politicians of whatever stripe. I suspect there is a considerable Presidential vote available if Ms Childers were to stand.

Declaration of interest: I have once been in communication with Ms Childers some years back and she impressed me with both her responses and her acumen.

What do you think in terms of this potential candidacy?

So she actually achieved nothing apart from protesting or resigning about this and that?
    Why would she be even a candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    I think it should.
    But do you think that he has the sense of honour not to run again? Then he is only "president" because of the Frontline farce rigging the election.

May as well nominate Bosco at this stage
    Last edited by President Bartlet; 3rd January 2018 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by President Bartlet View Post
    May a well nominate Bosco at this stage
    He would have got more votes than FG's Misery Mitchell if he had run last time.

Twitter
    @

The Labourites would not take kindly to her running if it meant that their little snouter in the Aras would have some genuine opposition.
    This is precisely why I think she would garner votes across the pragmatic spectrum- which is the main body of voters I think. She's not seen as too tied to Labour. In fact she resigned because of their failure to oppose from within as a minority partner in government. There's more than a few ex-Labour party members who wish they'd done the same I'd say as this point.

The Labourites would not take kindly to her running if it meant that their little snouter in the Aras would have some genuine opposition.
    That's putting it mildly! Anyway who the [email protected] would want a Labour endorsement these days

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment