Register to Comment
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Like he could salvage the family honour by becoming Taoiseach while the country is doing ok financially? He would wipe out the stain on the family name caused by Brian?

People would say.. 'Yea the brother was a pillock.. but Barry is a clever chap..and he's better looking than Brian'.

Maybe he is that DELUDED.
    in fairness mate the cordaroy bit of me sack is better lookin than him....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dedogs View Post
    in fairness mate the cordaroy bit of me sack is better lookin than him....
    Yer only getting alike for that analogy, lol

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    All things being equal, this would result in the following Dail, if those figures were to be repeated:

FF 37
    FG 64
    SF 32
    Lab 1
    Grn 1
    Sol-PBP 2
    SD 3
    Ind 18
    Eh, the SDs are at 1% = approximately 20,000 votes between maybe 20 candidates = 1,000 each. Of course their two TDs would pull about 7,000 each on first preferences leaving just 6,000 for all the others combined.

On 3% they took 3 seats with only their 3 pre-SD TDs taking seats. Their brand at 3% couldn't make new TDs and now you're suggesting they can have their 2 existing TDs returned and a newbie elected. Somewhere in your calculations you're allowing what you want to see happening cloud what the numbers are telling you will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Plebian View Post
    Eh, the SDs are at 1% = approximately 20,000 votes between maybe 20 candidates = 1,000 each. Of course their two TDs would pull about 7,000 each on first preferences leaving just 6,000 for all the others combined.

On 3% they took 3 seats with only their 3 pre-SD TDs taking seats. Their brand at 3% couldn't make new TDs and now you're suggesting they can have their 2 existing TDs returned and a newbie elected. Somewhere in your calculations you're allowing what you want to see happening cloud what the numbers are telling you will happen.
    Correct. That sometimes happens when your vote is concentrated in just a few constituencies. If Lab got 6.8% on average around the country they'd have gotten no-one elected last time out.

I have to say I think both the Government and Sinn Fein are both handling this excellently and I am not one to give out complements too easily.

The Government's been stedfast, cool, calm and collected and is coming across as utterly competent. Varadkar, Coveney and others are coming across as actually being fully in charge of their brief and knowing what they're talking about. Mairead McGuinness came across as utterly competent on Sky News and schooled them in how the EU actually works as opposed to how the UK seems to imagine it works.

The comparison's really stark when you juxtapose it with what's going on in the UK.

Meanwhile, Sinn Fein's very much taking the moral high ground in the North of Ireland and is coming across as a very sensible party. Again, all of their spokespeople are very technically aware and not talking b/s like their DUP counterparts.

I saw Mary Lou interviewed on one of the UK channels and she was just absolutely on-the-ball and utterly competent too.

Likewise, I have heard that Fianna Fail and others are working their networks as is the entire Irish diplomatic corps, business groups, and all sorts of other people..

Even the way the entire Dail is more or less coming from this from the same angle is impressive. The Irish political system is looking a hell of a lot more stable, logical and sane than the crowd in Westminster who are currently just hurling abuse at each other in between sneers and jeers.

Ireland's very much coming across as the sane, competent and well-prepared party in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post
    I have to say I think both the Government and Sinn Fein are both handling this excellently and I am not one to give out complements too easily.

The Government's been stedfast, cool, calm and collected and is coming across as utterly competent. Varadkar, Coveney and others are coming across as actually being fully in charge of their brief and knowing what they're talking about.
    The comparison's really stark when you juxtapose it with what's going on in the UK.

Meanwhile, Sinn Fein's very much taking the moral high ground in the North of Ireland and is coming across as a very sensible party. Again, all of their spokespeople are very technically aware and not talking b/s like their DUP counterparts.

Even the way the entire Dail is more or less coming from this from the same angle is impressive. The Irish political system is looking a hell of a lot more stable, logical and sane than the crowd in Westminster who are currently just hurling abuse at each other in between sneers and jeers.
    Well the EU tell us what to do. So it was bound to be well coordinated.

Virtually all our TDs are puppets of the EU.

I think we will have to see what is agreed before we can say if they have done a good job or have continued on the 40+ years of bending over to the Germans.

I don't agree.

There was a fairly serious possibility that we could have ended up as the collateral damage between the EU and UK.
    A few months ago there was definitely a big risk that Irish interests were going to be just "and other stuff we should probably look at.

It's a pretty good thing to have the GFA being stood behind by the EU and individual member states.

I think we have genuinely managed to get the Irish case across and when I say "we" I mean most of the political system here, not just the Government.

Also, given the total disregard for the GFA and the NI situation in the way the Tories and co "planned" this, it shows just how little they would care if we did join them in Brexit. We'd be just thrown under the bus as soon as we were no longer an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Filibuster View Post

The Government's been stedfast, cool, calm and collected and is coming across as utterly competent. Varadkar, Coveney and others are coming across as actually being fully in charge of their brief and knowing what they're talking about. Mairead McGuinness came across as utterly competent on Sky News and schooled them in how the EU actually works as opposed to how the UK seems to imagine it works.

I saw Mary Lou interviewed on one of the UK channels and she was just absolutely on-the-ball and utterly competent too.

Likewise, I have heard that Fianna Fail and others are working their networks as is the entire Irish diplomatic corps, business groups, and all sorts of other people..

Ireland's very much coming across as the sane, competent and well-prepared party in this.
    Much commented on already. And it feels really weird to be saying it, doesn't it?

But - I must admit - it's a nice sort of weird.

I am actually deeply sceptical.

Unless everybody is listening to noosetalk, there is no basis for the poll numbers given recent events.

So, going to Enniskillen with a Poppy to make friends with the DUP = Poll Drop.
    Taking on the DUP and the Brits for the sake of the National Interest = Poll Rise?

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment