Register to Comment
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post

When Le Pen Snr got through to the second round despite having less than 20% of the vote, it wasn't gerrymandering it was how the system worked. The proof that very few voters wanted him there at all was the strength of his rejection in the second round.

The feeling here is that Marine Le Pen's terrible performance in the debate is continuing to harm her party's chances.
    No but theres something seriously unrepresentative about a system that gives 70% of the seats to a party on 29% of the vote, and just 1% to a party on 13% of the vote. It makes the UK system look representative. It may also explain why French govts are met by all these protests no matter who is in charge as millions go unrepresented in parliament.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    We'll see soon enough. Madame Quirell is on the job at the moment.
    I forgot to say BTW that our polling station doesn't keep a rolling tally of participation - I wasn't sure when you asked last time, I couldn't remember having seen any, even when I did the count one time, but I've checked since, and they don't. The final participation rates for all the stations will be published at la Salle des Fêtes after closing time. (We don't vote there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    No but theres something seriously unrepresentative about a system that gives 70% of the seats to a party on 29% of the vote, and just 1% to a party on 13% of the vote. It makes the UK system look representative. It may also explain why French govts are met by all these protests no matter who is in charge as millions go unrepresented in parliament.
    But they don't go unrepresented, they get a second vote.
    You might as well say that anyone who votes for a candidate who is eliminated on the first count in STV goes unrepresented too.

Proportional Representation would be a fairer system.

Here, you seem to have dropped this : IMO

(There's no support for it here in France, they prefer to have a week or two to make their final decision, instead of having to list their preferences "blind" so to speak. And I say that as someone who has often suggested that it might be a good idea. There is no perfect democratic election method, so the next best is obviously the one that most people in a particular country are most at ease with.)

Proportional representation may be a more represantative system, but as we saw in Ireland, it can be hell to try form a Government from such a representative assembly.

Furthermore it is not the French system. That system has it's own checks and balances.

Quote Originally Posted by troll account View Post
    So France has fallen completely to the pervert macron
    I think decent people have lost all hope there of turn around at least through the "Democratic" system. I don't blame them. I'm surprised that neither Des or Petaljam have commented on my present avatar. Jean Bastien-Thiry knew exactly what being a soldier should mean and acted in accordance to his vocation, he refused a blind fold before they killed and clutching his rosary beads looked his murderers straight in the eye- let us pray that France still holds such sons and daughters within her Armed Forces.
    Last edited by Ratio Et Fides; 18th June 2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troll account View Post
    Dirty little macron will up on the auld ones back tonight
    Troll account? Wonder why.

I was watching France 24 earlier. It seems that MPs can hold on to their day jobs after election, except for consultants.

Did I hear that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    I think decent people have lost all hope there of turn around at least through the "Democratic" system. I don't blame them. I'm surprised that neither Des or Petaljam have commented on my present avatar. Jean Bastien-Thiry knew exactly what being a soldier should mean and acted in accordance to his vocation, he refused a blind fold before they killed and clutching his rosary beads looked his murderers straight in the eye- let us pray that France still holds such sons and daughters within her Armed Forces.
    Idiot. Really an idiot or just trolling? Still an idiot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Bastien-Thiry

A murderous traitor to his oath .

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment