Register to Comment
Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1226
Like Tree866Likes
  1. #21
    Saturninus Saturninus is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    543

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    They're ripping themselves apart at the moment.

    Happy days.
    They ripping themselves apart, appointed a lesbian as their Chancellor candidate (not that I find it bad, but they're meant to be the real conservatives and traditionalists) and they are losing votes of the anyone but Merkel crowd to Schulz as he's seen as more likely to unseat her.

    4 months is a long time, it will be interesting how head to head debates will go.

    Schulz needs more substance but like social democrats and labour parties elsewhere, they're in a deep crisis. They still seem to think that people identify as workers and that social solidarity has any appeal to people. Like elsewhere, they're seen as the party of welfare not of work. That their policies will benefit only the poor and long term unemployed and not the middle class, even those who are struggling middle class.

    The results in NRW show that law & order is on more people's mind and that the same election slogans the SPD have been pushing for decades has little appeal.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #22
    Analyzer Analyzer is offline
    Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    42,866

    The choice is between an accomplished liar with a tendency to turn a problem into a crisis, and an amateur who thinks talking nonsense in the EP counts as experience.

    Not great.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #23
    Tacitus Tacitus is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    382

    On a side note I am glad we are able to choose in Germany between two highly capable politicians. Although I prefer Merkel, there is really no question that Schulz would be a decent chancellor. Compared to previous elections in other countries, thaz is quite a comfort.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #24
    Gwannow Gwannow is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    451

    Germany throughout history has shown that it can make disastrous and dangerous choices that will affect the world. The interesting thing this time that whilst other countries with conservative governments are dealing with stemming the flow of potentially dangerous foreigners entering their nations Germany is remiss in this.
    Merkel will continue to drive her country into the abyss.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #25
    Fra_south_Derry Fra_south_Derry is offline
    Fra_south_Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwannow View Post
    Germany throughout history has shown that it can make disastrous and dangerous choices that will affect the world. The interesting thing this time that whilst other countries with conservative governments are dealing with stemming the flow of potentially dangerous foreigners entering their nations Germany is remiss in this.
    Merkel will continue to drive her country into the abyss.
    The left wing government in Hamburg has been begun confiscating private property, renovating it and then billing the owner so they can be used to house migrants.

    It seems the SPD and Greens are intent in not getting reelected.

    Germany Confiscating Homes To Use For Migrants | Zero Hedge
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #26
    Fra_south_Derry Fra_south_Derry is offline
    Fra_south_Derry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,524

    The AFD finished ahead of the Greens and Linke in a left wing stronghold and the left are happy that the conservatives are winning.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #27
    Breanainn Breanainn is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,141

    Quote Originally Posted by Fra_south_Derry View Post
    The AFD finished ahead of the Greens and Linke in a left wing stronghold and the left are happy that the conservatives are winning.....
    The votes they gained in state elections mostly came directly from the virtually defunct Pirate Party, indicating that they have only acquired protest votes. The Pirates had already collapsed in federal polling before 2013, so remains to be seen if the AfD will pass the 5% threshold.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #28
    feedmelies feedmelies is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,652

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturninus View Post
    They ripping themselves apart, appointed a lesbian as their Chancellor candidate (not that I find it bad, but they're meant to be the real conservatives and traditionalists) and they are losing votes of the anyone but Merkel crowd to Schulz as he's seen as more likely to unseat her.
    There's no contradiction in them hiring a lesbian as their leader - the party had never espoused homophobic stances (unlike the Muslims whose immigration they wish to stop).

    They're not losing votes to the SPD. The SPD is losing votes to them. They are consistently polling around 10% - this would be a strong improvement on 2012 and possibly have them as the third largest party. It is lower than the 15% they were polling at a while ago but that is to be expected with the CDU shifting to the right on immigration and with the number of refugee arrivals dropping drastically - partially thanks to political pressure from the right.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #29
    feedmelies feedmelies is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,652

    Quote Originally Posted by Breanainn View Post
    The votes they gained in state elections mostly came directly from the virtually defunct Pirate Party, indicating that they have only acquired protest votes. The Pirates had already collapsed in federal polling before 2013, so remains to be seen if the AfD will pass the 5% threshold.


    This is completely false.

    Grafiken zur Wählerwanderung in NRW - keine Mehrheit mehr für Rot-Grün

    You can see here most of their voters came from
    CDU, SPD, and non voters. Less than 5% came from "other" parties which includes right wing parties. We can safely assume a tiny fraction of afd voters came from the pirate party.

    Also worth noting the AfD's strong performance among youths with 19% of 18-29 year olds voting AfD, confirming the trend seen in germany and the rest of Europe of the youth tending to vote right wing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #30
    livingstone livingstone is offline
    livingstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,452

    Quote Originally Posted by Fra_south_Derry View Post
    The left wing government in Hamburg has been begun confiscating private property, renovating it and then billing the owner so they can be used to house migrants.

    It seems the SPD and Greens are intent in not getting reelected.

    Germany Confiscating Homes To Use For Migrants | Zero Hedge
    Excellent. Action to tackle housing units left vacant are to be welcomed. Pretending that housing is just like any other market economy sector is nonsense. The housing market doesn't function well and necessitates state involvement to address it.

    It would be great if cities like London could do the same.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment