View Poll Results: For whom would you vote in the general election in Northern Ireland?

Voters
51. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Alliance

6 11.76%
  • Conservative

2 3.92%
  • DUP

2 3.92%
  • Green

1 1.96%
  • SDLP

11 21.57%
  • Sinn Féin

22 43.14%
  • UUP

1 1.96%
  • Other

6 11.76%
Register to Comment
Page 169 of 178 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1780
Like Tree841Likes

Rants........
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    They already got their vote out. What's holding nationalism back is the SDLP's stupidity in refusing an electoral pact with SF. Maybe the drubbing they just go will make them see sense.
    So tell me how an election pact between the SDLP & SF will move nationalism forward?
    In North Belfast over 2,000 voted for an SDLP candidate who had no chance of winning, what makes you think that these voters will follow a party line if there was a pact. The reality is that there is a chunk of the nationalist population who detest SF, on the unionist side there is a similar view in relation to the DUP. A pact will strangle the SDLP, their vote will split, some will undoubtedly go to SF, some will go to the centre ground parties and some will stay at home, SF objective is to be the only voice of nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by devonish View Post
    So tell me how an election pact between the SDLP & SF will move nationalism forward?
    In North Belfast over 2,000 voted for an SDLP candidate who had no chance of winning, what makes you think that these voters will follow a party line if there was a pact. The reality is that there is a chunk of the nationalist population who detest SF, on the unionist side there is a similar view in relation to the DUP. A pact will strangle the SDLP, their vote will split, some will undoubtedly go to SF, some will go to the centre ground parties and some will stay at home, SF objective is to be the only voice of nationalism.
    I don't think that's quite true, and I don't think nationalists want a single entity to represent their interests. The purpose of offering the sdlp a pact was to maximise nationalist wins. The irony now is that the sdlp will never get that opportunity again - assuming they still exist as a viable party by the time of the next ge. A pact would have saved two seats (I don't think even SF expected to win Foyle), South Belfast and South Down , and given SF more comfort (that surprisingly they didn't actually need) in fst, and a chance at North Belfast. The nationalist electorate I think still had some of the anger that resonated during the assembly elections, and the sdlp were punished to a certain extent for refusing a pact, and for fst last time out.

Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    I don't think that's quite true, and I don't think nationalists want a single entity to represent their interests. The purpose of offering the sdlp a pact was to maximise nationalist wins. The irony now is that the sdlp will never get that opportunity again - assuming they still exist as a viable party by the time of the next ge. A pact would have saved two seats (I don't think even SF expected to win Foyle), South Belfast and South Down , and given SF more comfort (that surprisingly they didn't actually need) in fst, and a chance at North Belfast. The nationalist electorate I think still had some of the anger that resonated during the assembly elections, and the sdlp were punished to a certain extent for refusing a pact, and for fst last time out.
    How could the SDLP possibly justify a pact with an abstentionist party merely on the grounds that they attract support from the same tribe as them?

It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    How could the SDLP possibly justify a pact with an abstentionist party merely on the grounds that they attract support from the same tribe as them?

It just doesn't make sense.
    It doesn't make sense, because you truly have no clue about northern politics. Take Fermanagh for example. That went unionist last time because the unionists had a pact and nationalists didn't. The sdlp were duly punished for that.

It doesn't make sense, because you truly have no clue about northern politics. Take Fermanagh for example. That went unionist last time because the unionists had a pact and nationalists didn't. The sdlp were duly punished for that.
    FG/FF/LP have been nothing but roll over nationalists for the Brits and unionists forever and are trying to dictate to SF that they should be the same for the DUP - and this when FG/FF/LP wouldn't run for election in the six counties themselves !! Ya couldn't make it up, gombeen politics through and through and of course echoed without question by the hired liars in the free state media

You're missing my point. Deliberately, of course. And resorting unprovoked to childish abusive again.

What logic would there be in a non-abstentionist party going into an electoral pact with an abstentionist party? Simply to prevent a member of the other tribe occupying the seat in question, following the principle that no representation for the constituency is better than representation of that constituency by themmuns?

Go and take a running jump, hollandia.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    You're missing my point. Deliberately, of course. And resorting unprovoked to childish abusive again.

What logic would there be in a non-abstentionist party going into an electoral pact with an abstentionist party? Simply to prevent a member of the other tribe occupying the seat in question, following the principle that no representation for the constituency is better than representation of that constituency by themmuns?

Go and take a running jump, hollandia.
    You seem to ignore the intent behind a voting pact. The primary objective of a voting pact is to secure existing seats for one's own party. It's possible that if the SDLP had even agreed a "Belfast only" voting pact, that they may have held onto Belfast South.

In any event, surely it is better that a seat be held/won by a party that you have a lot more in common with than by a party that despises you and everything you hold true.

Abstention from Parliament does not mean no representation. Failure to secure seats in a Parliament does mean no representation.

Right now the SDLP have no representation in Parliament.

The Stoops need only look at the UUP to see how the smaller party does with pacts.

The Stoops will just go back to their old methods to win the likes of Foyle and South Down-call on Prods to vote for them to keep SF out.

Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    The Stoops need only look at the UUP to see how the smaller party does with pacts.

The Stoops will just go back to their old methods to win the likes of Foyle and South Down-call on Prods to vote for them to keep SF out.
    The UUP were the bigger party in the first pact I remember after the Anglo Irish agreement. Prior to that, the dup only held east Belfast and North Antrim.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment