View Poll Results: For whom would you vote in the general election in Northern Ireland?

Voters
51. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Alliance

    6 11.76%
  • Conservative

    2 3.92%
  • DUP

    2 3.92%
  • Green

    1 1.96%
  • SDLP

    11 21.57%
  • Sinn Féin

    22 43.14%
  • UUP

    1 1.96%
  • Other

    6 11.76%
Register to Comment
Page 169 of 178 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1771
Like Tree839Likes
  1. #1681
    hollandia hollandia is online now
    hollandia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21,338

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    The Stoops need only look at the UUP to see how the smaller party does with pacts.

    The Stoops will just go back to their old methods to win the likes of Foyle and South Down-call on Prods to vote for them to keep SF out.
    The UUP were the bigger party in the first pact I remember after the Anglo Irish agreement. Prior to that, the dup only held east Belfast and North Antrim.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #1682
    PBP voter PBP voter is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,874

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    The UUP were the bigger party in the first pact I remember after the Anglo Irish agreement. Prior to that, the dup only held east Belfast and North Antrim.
    The DUP got to stand in the more winnable const. in 2017.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #1683
    hollandia hollandia is online now
    hollandia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21,338

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    The DUP got to stand in the more winnable const. in 2017.
    Not quite. The UUP didn't stand in North and South Belfast in return for fst, which they had held. In any event, it doesn't change the fact that a pact can be detrimental to the larger party.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #1684
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,159

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    Abstention from Parliament does not mean no representation. Failure to secure seats in a Parliament does mean no representation.
    From the point of view of the voter, you're actually wrong on both counts.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #1685
    hollandia hollandia is online now
    hollandia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21,338

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    From the point of view of the voter, you're actually wrong on both counts.
    And yet, the voters keep on voting for them. Go figure. Perhaps you're suggesting the voters are stupid? Or perhaps, you might actually be wrong.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #1686
    Strawberry Strawberry is online now
    Strawberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12,222

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    From the point of view of the voter, you're actually wrong on both counts.
    He's right on both counts, and btw Irish nationalism is not a "tribe" its a political stance. A pact between SF and the SDLP to secure maximum nationalist representation would be common sense for both parties and their electorates.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #1687
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,159

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    He's right on both counts, and btw Irish nationalism is not a "tribe" its a political stance. A pact between SF and the SDLP to secure maximum nationalist representation would be common sense for both parties and their electorates.
    Irish nationalism is clearly not a political stance in relation to the Westminster elections. Sinn Féin's abstentionism makes it at least two completely distinct and completely incompatible political stances.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #1688
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,159

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandia View Post
    And yet, the voters keep on voting for them. Go figure. Perhaps you're suggesting the voters are stupid? Or perhaps, you might actually be wrong.
    The voters, despite your and Strawberry's protestations, clearly vote tribally.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #1689
    Se0samh Se0samh is offline
    Se0samh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10,372

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Irish nationalism is clearly not a political stance in relation to the Westminster elections. Sinn Féin's abstentionism makes it at least two completely distinct and completely incompatible political stances.

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #1690
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,159

    Quote Originally Posted by Se0samh View Post
    use your head Se0samh!

    Either you're pretending to be thick or you're feeling very lazy-minded today.

    The SDLP is not abstentionist and SF is. They have two very, very different political stances at the Westminster elections and over the value of taking up whatever seat one might win.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment