Register to Comment
Page 45 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1173
Like Tree428Likes
  1. #441
    Morgellons Morgellons is online now
    Morgellons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,553

    Quote Originally Posted by milipod View Post
    We all marry our Mothers.
    Even orphans?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #442
    stopdoingstuff stopdoingstuff is offline
    stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21,483

    Quote Originally Posted by milipod View Post
    We all marry our Mothers.
    My mother wasn't a flexible Chinese girl half my age.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #443
    Notachipanoaktree Notachipanoaktree is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,218

    Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    My mother wasn't a flexible Chinese girl half my age.
    Is she indoors one of your slaves from your Apple days.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #444
    locke locke is offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,208

    When people were asked who they thought won the debate, it went

    Macron 29%
    Mélenchon 20%
    Fillon 19%
    Le Pen 19%
    Hamon 11%

    All that suggests that most people thought the candidate they support won the debate.

    The interesting figure is Mélenchon's. He does seem to have over-performed. He is also potentially the candidate most likely to hurt Le Pen. Also, if he gets ahead of Hamon, Hamon's support may crumble (in both directions). The next set of polls will be interesting to see if there is any upturn in his support.

    In general in French elections, the minor candidates vote diminishes and there are around five real contenders in the first round. I think in this one, that may slip back to three or four before polling day.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #445
    realistic1 realistic1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,888

    Quote Originally Posted by Drogheda445 View Post
    Le Pen has recently criticised him for speaking English at foreign conferences instead of French. If there's one thing that's guaranteed to get your Frenchness called into question, it's for coming across as too anglo-saxon.
    I admire the French for valuing their culture and Language, Nationalism is what will eventually save France.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #446
    Mr. Blobby Mr. Blobby is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    669

    Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    When people were asked who they thought won the debate, it went

    Macron 29%
    Mélenchon 20%
    Fillon 19%
    Le Pen 19%
    Hamon 11%

    All that suggests that most people thought the candidate they support won the debate.

    The interesting figure is Mélenchon's. He does seem to have over-performed. He is also potentially the candidate most likely to hurt Le Pen. Also, if he gets ahead of Hamon, Hamon's support may crumble (in both directions). The next set of polls will be interesting to see if there is any upturn in his support.

    In general in French elections, the minor candidates vote diminishes and there are around five real contenders in the first round. I think in this one, that may slip back to three or four before polling day.
    Mélencon is a superb public speaker, he promises thousands of more jobs in the public sector, lower the 35h to 32h I believe. He preaches tolerance, a welcoming immigration policy and to stand up to big business. It's just a pity that he intends to fund all of these great ideas on increasing taxes on the working/ middle classes.

    Macron - He's a weirdo, but a good salesman. There are many rumours regarding his sexuality and if he's having an affair. There's questions about who his money men are.

    Fillon - The scandel over his wife's job has taken the wind out of his sails. He's making a comeback in the polls though.

    Le Pen - She knew her audience last night and pushed all the right buttons, I think she'll make it through the first round, but lacks enough support to win the second

    Hamon - Thought he was quite level headed in his points, but doesn't have the same charisma as a Mélanchon.

    At this stage, I put a bet on Le Pen & Macron to win the first round. And Macron to win the second. We'll see...

    Overall though, the candidates are quite unpopular. My father in law has said it's the worst selection of candidates in his living memory.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #447
    Jack Walsh Jack Walsh is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,947

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    I admire the French for valuing their culture and Language, Nationalism is what will eventually save France.
    Why and what does France need to be saved from?

    North Western Europe (Germany. Switzerland, France, the low countries, Scandinavia, Ireland and the UK) is the safest, most prosperous, most content, most tolerant region in the world to live in

    The idea that it is a dangerous kip overrun by gangs of Muslim rapists and jihadists is probably the biggest lie perpetuated by Trump and his delusional supporters. And given the scale of the lies that group tells on a daily basis, that is quite some title!

    Being lectured that your country is a dangerous kip by an imbecile whose supporters largely come from genuinely dangerous and intolerant backwoods kips is not going to go down well with most Europeans, most notably French.
    Nor, most certainly is being told that they should be more like Russia!

    I think Le Pen's chances probably died with Trump election but she cannot be counted out as it has rightly being pointed out that the candidates are quite poor.
    Last edited by Jack Walsh; 21st March 2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #448
    Greg T Greg T is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
    Mélencon is a superb public speaker, he promises thousands of more jobs in the public sector, lower the 35h to 32h I believe. He preaches tolerance, a welcoming immigration policy and to stand up to big business. It's just a pity that he intends to fund all of these great ideas on increasing taxes on the working/ middle classes.
    Yes he is impressive on TV but he is not well liked at activist level is my impression, being seen as an egotist . The France Insoumee websites (even those are in his name, see the La_France_insoumise wiki) seems to confirm that . Kinda desperately hoping he knows what he's doing, but I doubt it . I fear he will blow it . I hope i am wrong . By the way (though he was an ancient Trotskyite of the odd french Lamberist tradition) he has become sort of nationalist left . On immigration he is in agreement with the Scandinavians against 'social dumping' (low wage/non union mostly migrant workers displacing existing workers in a nutshell) which sounds sensible enough , but has yet to be explained properly to me.

    There is still a campaign for a joint left candidate but hopes seem to be fading . See the regards.fr and humanitie.fr sites
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #449
    Jack Walsh Jack Walsh is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,947

    A joint left candidate would now have an outstanding chance, but agree, hopes fading, and they will be eliminated.
    Something about Macron makes me uneasy, it it wasn't for that, I'd be all but certain Le Pen would be trounced.
    Fillon's massive problems, a bit of uneasiness about Macron and a disunited Left are all that is keeping her breathing

    Even allowing for that, she trails Macron in 1st post debate poll by a jaw dropping 28%
    64-36.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #450
    locke locke is offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,208

    That poll indicates that the politician who did best out of the debate was...

    ...Nicolas Dupont-Aignan (+2%)

    He didn't take part in the debate, which presumably says something.

    The big loser was Hamon (-2%).

    Nobody else budged by more than 0.5%.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 45 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment