Register to Comment
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree267Likes

Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    Nothing will ever change as long as Dáil Éireann continues to exist in its current state.
    And Dáil Éireann certainly isn't going to change as long as FF/FG/Lab and SF hold the majority of seats.

They're simply not interested in change and have no intention of delivering change.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    I hope they're not finished.
    Why not?

I very much doubt they'll recover from a blow like they just got so early in life.

I must say, I don't regret their passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Texal Tom View Post
    I'm amazed how many people are attributing their poor performance with a notion that people want abortion etc. The labour party made the most out of the abortion issue but got wiped out...
    haven't seen anyone do that

very very few people are a single issue voters...

Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    Nothing will ever change as long as Dáil Éireann continues to exist in its current state.
    It's all very well talking about change from the current situation. The trick is articulating what you want to change to.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    I hope they're not finished. But, what did them in for me, was not abortion. It was the flat tax. It's not a serious policy. It's something that nutty libertarians fantasise about. So, if they don't have serious policies, why would anyone take them seriously?
    Renua were no more Libertarian than the man in the moon.

In fact they would have probably gotten more votes if they were Libertarian. But Lucinda was far too distracted with her imaginary friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    I think this election has shown that there is no room for for a budding political party that tells the electorate that they believe in small government (I don't think taking a more populous line on the social elements of their platform would have helped). That they aren't going to promise a myriad of was to make the state bigger and bigger, but they are going to concentrate on a narrower range of things that are important, do them well and leave everything else to individuals.

I must say, I was surprised that Donnelly came out to be just another Big Government politician.
    He's eFFing traitor gene pool don't you know?

There's a hell of a lot of our 'independents' who are linked to the traditional parties... which is why this GE result hasn't been as earth shattering as some seem to think...

It's just the usual auld sh!t canibalising votes from each other in their usual stomping grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Why not?

I very much doubt they'll recover from a blow like they just got so early in life.

I must say, I don't regret their passing.
    They were an attempt at an Irish tea party - and Lucinda came across as a head girl down at Mount Temple..

They were also too smart for their own good. The name Renua?? Meaningless corporate focus group PR overthink.. (straight out of FG playbook - quelle surprise) Doesn't communicate one thing about what they might have stood for..

Couldn't get simpler but more ronseal than Social Democrats - requires no explaining as to how clever your new party name is.

Quote Originally Posted by Texal Tom View Post
    I'm amazed how many people are attributing their poor performance with a notion that people want abortion etc. The labour party made the most out of the abortion issue but got wiped out...
    Indeed. Labour's last-ditch effort was to announce its legislative proposal for abortion-on-demand because it wrongly believed its own hype.

I wonder how many votes that nugget cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    It's all very well talking about change from the current situation. The trick is articulating what you want to change to.
    Transparency, accountability and punitive consequences for cheats and crooks (including the white collar ones) would be a good start and would go a lot further than any tax cut or budget tweaking etc.

It's not brain surgery or rocket science and it shouldn't be beyond people who between salaries and perks are on well north of €100K per year to deliver... if they wanted to deliver these things... which the majority of them don't.

It should be their job to deliver these things for the good of the country...

Lucinda Creighton will now, in all likelihood, enter the private sector on a six-digit salary.
    I'm sure the offers are already rolling in.

Good luck to her.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment