Register to Comment
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree267Likes

I think the ultra conservative image on pro life etc , done them in the end .

I think there is space for a party to run on a political reform ticket but the writing was on the wall for Renua when they could not land Steven Donnelly to come on board , he would have had move broader appeal than Lucinda.

I suspect the social Conservative nature of a lot of the proposed founder members put him off as well as he would have agreed with a lot of their political reform agenda.

And what about the chap that left the Indo to work as their communications manager , will they accept him back into the fold?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Yep... one down... one to go... parties that prioritised changing the system and seeking transparency and accountability and tackling cronyism and corruption etc.

Just need to get rid of the SDs now (the only other party that was prioritising these things) and the 'establishment' and the traditional party shills will have done their work well in extinguishing anything new... for now.

The traditional parties were just the same auld same auld and the result has been less of a change than people think.
    Nothing will ever change as long as Dáil Éireann continues to exist in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Yep... one down... one to go... parties that prioritised changing the system and seeking transparency and accountability and tackling cronyism and corruption etc.

Just need to get rid of the SDs now (the only other party that was prioritising these things) and the 'establishment' and the traditional party shills will have done their work well in extinguishing anything new... for now.

The traditional parties were just the same auld same auld and the result has been less of a change than people think.
    Unfortunately those on the right seem incapable of forming new parties that break away from the tired old civil war parties.

The left might be a dolly mixture but at least they are moving forward. The right are still hoping FF or FG will come to their rescue. The left have dealt with 'their' civil war party this election.

I hope they're not finished. But, what did them in for me, was not abortion. It was the flat tax. It's not a serious policy. It's something that nutty libertarians fantasise about. So, if they don't have serious policies, why would anyone take them seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger View Post
    Lucinda Creighton was the embodiment of the Establishment. People are deluding themselves in thinking Renua would offer anything other than the same.
    It was undoubtedly a bad name and a bad brand and was set up in a shambolic way.

But at least it was something different... and I am convinced that if we had real transparency and accountability and punitive consequences in this country for crooks and cheats that these things would permeate through society and be more transforming than any poxy tax cut or budget or any of the usual auld sh!te.

Imagine if 'establishment' Ireland was transparent and accountable... instead of what we've got which is the closing of ranks constantly from the HSE to the legal eagles to everything else and nobody ever responsible for anything...

That's what I'm after and not one of the traditional 4 parties are offering that.

They have state funding now though with their 2% of the vote, what is it about 200,000?
    They can run an organisation and keep Creighton going for a while on that.

Interesting what message people heard from Renua, what they took away from this new party.

For me - as a smallll business, the big take away was that Lucinda was about the only figure during the debates or in the media putting small business / self employed case from all over the country at front and center. Instead of just mentioning that small business is the back bone of the economy & thats it, Lucinda at least sounded like she wanted to champion same and this time really help small business / self employed going forward.

And by the way - not just rattle on about creating new business but also, more importantly, how to keep small business / self employed IN BUSINESS and support same.

I will give Michael McGrath a bit of credit here too, he has also explicitly mentioned small business / self employed throughout the campaign.

Just thought I might add this angle - we dont all necessarily take away or hear the same things.

I think this election has shown that there is no room for for a budding political party that tells the electorate that they believe in small government (I don't think taking a more populous line on the social elements of their platform would have helped). That they aren't going to promise a myriad of was to make the state bigger and bigger, but they are going to concentrate on a narrower range of things that are important, do them well and leave everything else to individuals.

I must say, I was surprised that Donnelly came out to be just another Big Government politician.

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    Cheap, nasty attack. She lost her seat.
    parachute payments and a minister's pension will cushion the blow

Quote Originally Posted by Texal Tom View Post
    I'm amazed how many people are attributing their poor performance with a notion that people want abortion etc. The labour party made the most out of the abortion issue but got wiped out...
    I haven't noticed anyone doing that. How many people are you talking about?

Three strikes and flat taxes my have been a bigger factor, especially the former, imo.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment