Register to Comment
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree863Likes

It's ridiculous it hasn't. You get clowns like Billy Boyd Barrett saying things like we must give free homes to anyone who needs one but nobody asks him "So Billy, what are you going to do when the entire EU show up in Ireland to collect their free homes". Under EU rules, you cannot discriminate. You want an NHS system do you? Do yo know doctors are saying immigration is crippling the NHS as migrants come in search of 200,000 cancer treatment and they are forced to provide it. How can you have any of the social services he wants with open-borders? It's ludicrous.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    Issues that matter enough to every electorate in every democratic country during an election always come up. The fact that your pet issue means little or nothing to the majority of the Irish electorate, highlighted graciously by your acknowledgement that it hasn't come up in our General Election, is something you'll just have to live with....or not. You can always eh...emigrate.
    When Irish people are polled on the issue it tells a different story. To be fair.

A poll taken in 2015 and published in the Irish Times showed that:

* 37% of Irish people think that (mass) immigration has been bad for Ireland (41% say good, 22% say little difference)

* 57% of Irish people were worried about the impact of immigration on education services

* 65% of Irish people were worried about the impact of immigration on health services

* 53% of Irish people think our immigration policies should be made more restrictive

* Irish people thought Muslims were the least integrated group

I'll put up a link to it tomorrow. On those figures and the figures in previous polls on the issue it would appear to be more than a nothing issue to a substantial number of the Irish electorate.

Alas the Irish political classes and media aren't yet mature enough to have an open and fair discussion on the issue.
    Last edited by Dubstudent; 20th February 2016 at 03:04 AM.

People I have spoken to on various courses I was on in Wexford are divided on the Syrian issue with men more against. I tend to avoid discussing it with people if I detect they have an opposing view and its very divisive. I would add there are a small number of candidates like Wilson in Cavan Monaghan who support tighter controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubstudent View Post
    When Irish people are polled on the issue it tells a different story. To be fair.

A poll taken in 2015 and published in the Irish Times showed that:

* 37% of Irish people think that (mass) immigration has been bad for Ireland

* 57% of Irish people were worried about the impact of immigration on education services

* 65% of Irish people were worried about the impact of immigration on health services

* 53% of Irish people think our immigration policies should be made more restrictive

* Irish people thought Muslims were the least integrated group

I'll put up a link to it tomorrow. On those figures and the figures in previous polls on the issue it would appear to be more than a nothing issue to a substantial number of the Irish electorate.

Alas the Irish political classes and media aren't yet mature enough to have an open and fair discussion on the issue.
    Problem with these polls is they poll all of Ireland, including immigrants, not just the natives who live in areas with dense levels of immigrants and those whose lives are impacted by high levels of immigration like people in jobs attractive to immigrants.

There was a poll there a while back that something like 53% of Irish people agreed with bringing in 4000 refugees. Well ok so, about we poll just the people in the towns where these people will be dumped?

Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    It's ridiculous it hasn't. You get clowns like Billy Boyd Barrett saying things like we must give free homes to anyone who needs one but nobody asks him "So Billy, what are you going to do when the entire EU show up in Ireland to collect their free homes". Under EU rules, you cannot discriminate. You want an NHS system do you? Do yo know doctors are saying immigration is crippling the NHS as migrants come in search of 200,000 cancer treatment and they are forced to provide it. How can you have any of the social services he wants with open-borders? It's ludicrous.
    Incredible tripe- pure rabble rousing. Tell me where I can get one of them free homes. Or better tell those homeless people who are housed in a hotel room now.
    And tell me where I can jump the queue for special health treatment or "force" anybody to provide it for me.
    Tell Leo Vardakar as well- this will surely shorten the waiting lists.....

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    Incredible tripe- pure rabble rousing. Tell me where I can get one of them free homes. Or better tell those homeless people who are housed in a hotel room now.
    And tell me where I can jump the queue for special health treatment or "force" anybody to provide it for me.
    I said that's What RBB was proposing. I was asking why nobody asks him about how his policies could ever be workable when we have uncontrolled immigration which he supports.

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    Calm down, olli - fantasy has just got cheaper since the old days. A few years ago they contented themselves with claims of free prams.

Immigration and the asylum issue can be touchy when publicly discussed as some on the ultra left are very over sensitive when hearing opposing views.

The first big anti water charges protest October/11th/2014 on a Saturday, a bus was booked to bring people up to Dublin and back home that evening, on the way home that very evening , one of the organisers took the microphone on the bus to thank everyone for taking the time to travel to Dublin for the protest that day, all well and good and is where he should of left it, but next before he went off the microphone he asked people to support local refugees protesting outside a local refugee centre over supposed bad accommodation for the following Wednesday, this is where the row breaks out a good few people on the bus shouted up no that they wouldn't support any refugees - we look after our own first, quite a few people said- the guy on the microphone just said we have to disagree on this and he said no more, two individuals from a certain far left party took turns on the microphone trying to lecture people about racism which leads to the row getting worse yet again with abuse being thrown back and forward, I sat there observing it all, my regret was I didn't record the whole incident on my phone as it would of made a good youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight Forever View Post
    Immigration and the asylum issue can be touchy when publicly discussed as some on the ultra left are very over sensitive when hearing opposing views.

The first big anti water charges protest October/11th/2014 on a Saturday, a bus was booked to bring people up to Dublin and back home that evening, on the way home that very evening , one of the organisers took the microphone on the bus to thank everyone for taking the time to travel to Dublin for the protest that day, all well and good and is where he should of left it, but next before he went off the microphone he asked people to support local refugees protesting outside a local refugee centre over supposed bad accommodation for the following Wednesday, this is where the row breaks out a good few people on the bus shouted up no that they wouldn't support any refugees - we look after our own first, quite a few people said- the guy on the microphone just said we have to disagree on this and he said no more, two individuals from a certain far left party took turns on the microphone trying to lecture people about racism which leads to the row getting worse yet again with abuse being thrown back and forward, I sat there observing it all, my regret was I didn't record the whole incident on my phone as it would of made a good youtube video.
    The working class are tired of being told that they must be racist if they don't want to compete with cheap labour from the developing world. It is not true. Read what Connolly and Larkin had to say about cheap labour migrants being used by fatcats to break strikes and drive down pay and conditions.

Sure racism is wrong but restrictions on immigration are not racist in themselves. How about we want to protect western freedoms from Sharia. How about we don't want Islamic terrorism bringing in its supporters by taking advantage of our hospitality? Look at Paris and Cologne and problems in the UK. We don't want or need that kind of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    The working class are tired of being told that they must be racist if they don't want to compete with cheap labour from the developing world. It is not true. Read what Connolly and Larkin had to say about cheap labour migrants being used by fatcats to break strikes and drive down pay and conditions.

Sure racism is wrong but restrictions on immigration are not racist in themselves. How about we want to protect western freedoms from Sharia. How about we don't want Islamic terrorism bringing in its supporters by taking advantage of our hospitality? Look at Paris and Cologne and problems in the UK. We don't want or need that kind of hassle.
    Terrorism does not have to follow immigration. It can come along as well without it. We had- and have- plenty of homegrown terrorism up the 6 Counties. No muslim involved there.
    In fact a party which can be associated with terrorism here at home tries to get into government. People should be looking more into this problem than watching refugees stumbling through Europe, trying to get some shelter.
    About cheap labour :
    Where on earth have you been the last 25 years or so. Cheap labour does not have to come to Ireland. It is all over the globe and growing every day. Countries like China,Vietnam, Thailand,Cambodia or others are simply working for LESS money.And you cannot blame Soros for the Chinese as well.
    Get used to it- you will have to work for less and less- even if you close all borders and let nobody in. The race is on to the bottom- and it is not finished yet. Instead of pointing towards immigrants you should use your energy to find out ways how to overcome this problem in a smart way....
    There is no sharia law in the EU. In no country. And it will not come either in the future. We do not need to "protect us" from something which is not there.
    You are being spoonfed by some muppets who have their own agenda.

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment