Register to Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree88Likes

Any word how TV Radio coverage on count day - start/finish times etc?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Wikipedia dail constituency pages are quite useful too.

type in the name of the constituency in the Wiki search box and put in "Dail constituency" after it in brackets.
    the contituency names in the post above are are links to the wikipedia pages

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    This said I should vote PBP

This said I should vote Green

This said I should vote FG.

One of these may happen, but the other two definitely won't. I thought the questions on the first one were leading towards a left-wing conclusion.

First time poster so not sure if it is in the correct thread. Can someone please explain to me how the transfer of votes works. i hear the term transfer friendly frequently so does this mean voting pacts between parties/individuals? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by roughshooter View Post
    First time poster so not sure if it is in the correct thread. Can someone please explain to me how the transfer of votes works. i hear the term transfer friendly frequently so does this mean voting pacts between parties/individuals? Thanks in advance
    Transfer friendly doesn't just depend on party pacts - geography and the profile of the candidate (either National or local) all play a part in this. Is often said SF are transfer toxic, but it seems to be becoming less so as time goes by. Labour lost the bulk of the transfers that got them to 37 seats last time.

Quote Originally Posted by roughshooter View Post
    If you mean the mechanics, then it is Single Transferable Vote meaning you rank your candidates in order of preference and as the count proceeds and candidates are either elected or eliminated, that vote is transferred to other candidates according to the voter's stated preferences, in proportion to any surplus or discarded votes.

To reach a quota ie be elected in a 3-seat district you would need 25% of the vote + I vote. If a candidate has more votes than that quota, then the surplus votes are transferred to the next candidate. If no one new meets the quota, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and those votes are transferred, and the process repeats until a winner is found for every seat or there are as many seats as remaining candidates.

You can rank as many candidates as you like, and they can be all from the same party, or a mixture, or you can just give one preference. That would be silly though, because it leads to your vote being exhausted after it is allocated to that candidate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment